Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss What have past CPers gotten out of the program? How has it helped get you a career? in the Cast Members forums; Hey Guys! I was just talking to one of my Management advisers about getting credit for the college program and he left me very doubtful..... My question to all or ...
    potterfan16 is offline A-Ticket holder

Post What have past CPers gotten out of the program? How has it helped get you a career?

Hey Guys!

I was just talking to one of my Management advisers about getting credit for the college program and he left me very doubtful.....
    My question to all or current participants is how has doing this program helped you (in relevance to your major)? What have you all gotten out of it, I know it sounds like great fun, and you seem to have made life-long friends....but in regards to your future careers, how did it help you? I applied for Fall 08, I love Disney and I would love to have an opportunity like this, but now I'm just really doubtful as to how this will help me in Human Resources Management (since I'll be doing Quick Service or something like that....) apart from being cheap labor and taking some classes with Disney people how can this help me? I've heard of people who've had wonderful experiences working for Disney, but I've also heard horrible things about Disney, such as them oppressing their employees, overworking them without proper compensation, I want to find out for myself, but I'm kind of scared now....

Sorry for asking all these questions, but after talking to my advisers, I'm just very doubtful....

Any replies/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated...

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I'm the Mom of a newly returned CP'er, a Junior so a bit more mature than some of the others. First, he did have the time of his life and wouldn't trade the experience. He was kinda whisked away by a recruiter at the Info night. It is somewhat what you bring to the table. My CP'er was placed in a rather special arena for CP's and came back with some business skills that cannot be taught in a classroom. There was only 2 CP'ers in that arena. The manner in which he now can communicate with authority yet effectively and respectfully is a skill that can only be taught by the masters, Disney. His employer actually sends several high management employees to Disney each year for their corporate seminars as does many Fortune 500 firms. Do your research on the Fortune 500 firms and stack that against the advice of the advisor and his real life experiences.

My CP'ers college advisor was an advocate of the program and sent 2 of her own children through the program. My guess is your advisor is not impressed by Disney's Corp. skills.

Pay. It doesn't cut it. I made deposits into the CP'ers checking account as did the grandparents or he would have lived like a pulper. I knew this as a Mom going in. Same thing when he is in a dorm too. College is not when most students cover all of their own expenses, some do, or must, but it is difficult. Often when they received their checks the CP'er commented at the small amount...CP=Corporate Prisoner, but beyond the pay it is an experience I as a parent would recommend, he would recommend, as would his advisor but you've got to go into it knowing you'll only get what you put into it and for very little money.
    If the money is the issue you will not be a happy camper.

Thank you soo much for telling me your experience as a parent...I'm definetly not in this for the money...I know that the pay is not that great - but hey most internships are unpaid...so that's a plus. The Chair of the Management Department at my school attended one of the seminars when he was younger...he said it was very interesting...but I guess my advisor isn't very game on Disney as a coorporation, some people I know aren't either....which is why I became very unsettled...I just want to make sure this will be a smart career move for me...doing this program has been a dream of mine for a very long time....I know that what I get out of this will be determined by the work I put in....(taking courses, seminars, networking, etc...) I want to do that....I just want to make sure this will benefit my career endevours....(working for HR on the coorporate level ).

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    . My CP'er was placed in a rather special arena for CP's and came back with some business skills that cannot be taught in a classroom. There was only 2 CP'ers in that arena. The manner in which he now can communicate with authority yet effectively and respectfully is a skill that can only be taught by the masters, Disney.
    What special area was he in? Was there a name? Again, thank you for your reply, I greatly appreciate it. I guess if I do end up going, my parents are going to have to help me out financially then....

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    I have done the CP 3 times. I plan on going FT at Disney once I graduate (which should be in Dec, if all goes well). I have loved my time at Disney so far. I have learned so much, and have made so many friends.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    I have done the CP 3 times. I plan on going FT at Disney once I graduate (which should be in Dec, if all goes well). I have loved my time at Disney so far. I have learned so much, and have made so many friends.
    Did you take any of the classes they offered? If so, which ones? What's FT stand for?

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Quote Originally Posted by potterfan16 View Post
    Did you take any of the classes they offered? If so, which ones? What's FT stand for?
    I took the hospitality management class during my first CP. It was very interesting.

FT is Full Time.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I got mature during my college program. I would like to back for another program cause of learning about a theme park I love as well as valuable business knowledge. It was tough to leave when I did.

cp1999 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak516 View Post
    I got mature during my college program. I would like to back for another program cause of learning about a theme park I love as well as valuable business knowledge. It was tough to leave when I did.

Amen coasterfreak. Since being on the program when ever I had a job interview the HR person would see that I did the program and I would spend the rest of the interview talking about it. I do believe It has given me a slight edge in tryning to get a job. The program I think is sound. The only thing I did not like about the program was my managers. I had like 5 of them and only one seemed to really care about the cm as much as he did the guests. But this is not like this everywhere around the parks.
    Mike from Rochester. Yes that Mike from Rochester.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge- 2005
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

AllAbouttheMouseketeer #119

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

SafariStitch is offline A-Ticket holder
    You definitely get what you put in to the CP. There are tons of sidebar classes and activities that are specifically geared towards the college program students. I was able to talk to people at Disney in my specific area of "expertise" (engineering). I also took some business courses and did as much research as possible.

I think you all hit it earlier that the money thing is pretty bad. Definitely just enough to get by. If you're worried about getting that experience in the major then definitely consider an advanced internship. Typically the advanced internships require at least one rotation through the "regular" college program (or suggest it). Then, you can zero in specifically on what you want from Disney.

Finally, if you do the program, make sure to tell your manager your career goals as soon as possible. There are a lot of Disney managers out there that want to help you out and will use their contacts to put you in touch with the right people.
    What time is the 4 o'clock parade?

JenInKentucky is offline A-Ticket holder
    Lots of things have changed since I did the WDWCP waaaaaay back in the Fall of 1998. As a dietetics major, I worked in quick service foods and did get credit for my quantity foods production class, but I had to do several interviews and projects for my professor back home in addition to the seminars that were required at the time.

What I really took away from the program was the customer service stuff. How to work with people day in and day out, sometimes abusive people, and keep smiling and provide them the best experience possible. I certainly used those skills when I worked as a dietitian in South Florida nursing homes and I use it now that I run a children's consignment sale in Kentucky.