Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss doctors in the Cast Members forums; So if you get sick do they have doctors on sight that will prescribe antibiotics? Can you still be on your parents insurance? How does that work? Thanks!...
    KelliM is offline A-Ticket holder

doctors

So if you get sick do they have doctors on sight that will prescribe antibiotics? Can you still be on your parents insurance? How does that work? Thanks!

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    I never did the college program there, but I did got to college while I was still under my parents' health insurance. Most insurance companies will insure dependants through 21 OR 23-4 if you are still in school. At U of Florida, we did have an infirmary that I got stuff such as flu shots and antibiotics from. There was no charge for seing the "doctors" (usually nurse practitioners which is perfectly ok with me) and then the pharmacy there took my ins. The couple of times I felt worse than a cold, I did go see a local doctor on our plan. So, if they do have a staff/program clinic, I'd say that should be good for most ills and would either be low cost/free/ or take your insur. If not, there are lots & lots of options in the Orlando area. You would just need to find out who takes your parents insur.
    -Tanya

Jan '07 Pop Century, Mar '07 Day Trip, April '07 Off Property, May '07 OKW, July '07 POR, Oct '07 Pop Century (& MNSSHP!!!), Dec '07 Day Trip

Jan '08 POR
    Feb '08 Pop
    Mar '08 Off Property
    April '08 AS Sports - I think - still gotta book it

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    The doctors on property are specifically for work related injuries or illnesses and guest injuries or illness.

If you have a personal illness or injury then you are still covered by your parents insurance and need to work with them on a Doctor or hospital in the Orlando area to receive treatment.

They are building a clinic but that will also be specifically for those covered under a Disney healthcare plan. As a CP you are not eligible to be part of that plan. So you still need to find an Orlando area practitioner. Most insurance will help pay for those 24 hour emergency clinics, where you can see a doctor and get prescriptions.

I hope that helps anwer your question.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by echoscot View Post
    The doctors on property are specifically for work related injuries or illnesses and guest injuries or illness.

If you have a personal illness or injury then you are still covered by your parents insurance and need to work with them on a Doctor or hospital in the Orlando area to receive treatment.

They are building a clinic but that will also be specifically for those covered under a Disney healthcare plan. As a CP you are not eligible to be part of that plan. So you still need to find an Orlando area practitioner. Most insurance will help pay for those 24 hour emergency clinics, where you can see a doctor and get prescriptions.

I hope that helps anwer your question.
    If you do the college program look carefully at your parents insurance plan.
    Most require you remain a full time student as was the case with my son.
    He took a Disney U course and two from a university up here that were designed for the CP, not to burdensome.

Oddly, mailed home to us when he was CP'ing was his health care benefits package since he worked full time. We never tried to use them as it would have just confused our insurance company in the future. He did get ill down there and the clinic sent a private shuttle bus to the campus to pick him up and returned him. They took our health insurance. He did not have his card with him (duh) and they just called me for the info. He hit the clinic well however others talked about long waits, first come first served in most cases.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Everyone's insurance is different. I had to be a FT student to be on my parent's. As for doctors, there is a walk-in clinic nearby (I can't remember if it's Chatham or Vista).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009