Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss So the planning begins... in the Cast Members forums; Well... As many of you may have read my other post.. I have decided to update you all on the good news... I still have not talked to my advisor ...
    MouseEARS is offline A-Ticket holder

Exclamation So the planning begins...

Well... As many of you may have read my other post.. I have decided to update you all on the good news...

I still have not talked to my advisor about doing the program after graduation... But I have found out, that I can take my certification test b4 graduation ( I just wont find out if I passed until after graduation... ) , so this is a plus... Next -- I've found someone to go with me.. Its my good friend Andie.. We both LOVE Disney and we even went trick or treating the other night and had some planning (we really didn't trick or treat we just dressed up and walked around ha ha)...

So in a nut shell .. My planning is back on! and I really cant wait... I plan to do the Spring 2010 program Yes a lil early to be planning but im a freak ha ha...

A few questions for everyone...

Ok ... So I live in WV and I will have to fly out from Pittsburgh International Airport and fly into Orlando International Airport... SOO.. If I need to take all of my clothes and stuff..and do need to take more then like one suitcase (that's checked not carry on).. Is there a cheaper way of getting my bags down there.. like shipping them or anything?

Also... I planned on staying all night in one of the Disney hotels a night or two b4 check in that way I know im there and safe to checking on time...

So my main goal right now.. is to set up a way to get down there on the least money possible ha ha.. cause I'm not going to have a job for my last semester of college (which is the semester b4 I "plan" to go to Orlando) ...

Other questions...

What can I expect at check in? Where is it usually held? How are roommates usually done, I know there is that thing online where you find out ONE of your roommates or w/e, is this better then waiting till the day of check in?

Do I get to pick my apartment complex? (Vista way, Chatham (sp?) and that Patterson or w/e it is)

How much money should I expect to take down with me to cover all my expenses until my first paycheck?

I think that's all the questions right now.. but im sure I'll think of more..

Please help !

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I'm not sure what the cheapest way to get your stuff to Florida. As for what to expect at check-in, you will have to be at Vista Way apartments on the morning on the day that your program starts. Once you are there, you will do ALOT of paperwork and background checks. Then you will be assigned an apartment in a complex. Then on day 2, you will find out your exact work location and what day "Traditions" is for you, which is your first official day of work. The complex will depend on what size of apartment you want and what they have available. Roommates are randomly assigned and you can find out who one of them is through the roommate matching thing that they have online. Which I did before my program and the person never checked in once I got to Florida. As for the amount of money, you will just need money for food, since you will have access to CP transportation that is covered by your rent. Hope that this helps.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

Thanks.. It does help...

What i mean by the suit cases.. i havent flown anywhere b4 but im thinkin airlines only allow you one suitcase (plus ur carry on) without that additional charge.. i saw charges up to like $100 per 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th suitcase ... so thats def. something thats too expensive for me haha.. < is this right?

Im tryin to get my friend the most info about the program (from the inside) ... Cause we have read the site and got all that info...

So if anyone can give me like the step by step, run down of what to expect and everything when we first get down there and through out the program and stuff... It would help...

Thanks

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Quote Originally Posted by MouseEARS View Post
    So if anyone can give me like the step by step, run down of what to expect and everything when we first get down there and through out the program and stuff... It would help...

Thanks
    Here is a run-down of the first few days:
    Day 1- This is the day you check in. You will find out where you will be staying, you get your housing ID, get fingerprinted, fill out paperwork, and later in the day there is a housing meeting.

Day 2- This is the day where you find out where you will be working. You also sign up for any classes, if you will be taking any.

Day 3- Traditions day. You also get your work ID (aka ticket to the parks) here (this means you can't get into the parks for free until after Traditions.

Day 4-6- You start training in this time period. The first day varies for everyone.

Since you don't really work the first week, week 1 and 2 of rent get taken out the second week. It's a good idea to bring some extra money down with you, for this reason.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

How are prices in florida? like at walmart and such? and what is the % tax on food and whatnot... Just gettin all the info i can haha..

well, sales tax is kind of interesting since it is either 6.5% or 7% depending on where exactly you are. The buses that are offered as part of the college program will take you to Wal-Mart in Kissimmee where the sales tax is 7%.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

thanks!

How often do theses busses run to walmart? where else do they take you?

Is it hard gettin around and going places without a car? I know you are working alot of the time, but in your off time and you want to just get up and go somewhere... Is it hard to get around?

I think that the buses make wal-mart runs two days a week for most of the day. The bus will also stop at a strip mall a few miles from Chatham. As for getting around without a car, it all depends on where you want to go. There are buses to the bank, some local stores, Wal-Mart and everywhere on Disney property. As for the best way to like get into Orlando, I have no idea. I never went into Downtown Orlando. Hope that all of this is right, I don't remember exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by MouseEARS View Post
    thanks!

How often do theses busses run to walmart? where else do they take you?

Is it hard gettin around and going places without a car? I know you are working alot of the time, but in your off time and you want to just get up and go somewhere... Is it hard to get around?
    The Walmart bus runs 6 days a week (although I believe it started running on Sundays too, when I left).

It really isn't too bad getting around without a car. I have done 4 CPs now, and all 4 were without a car. It definitely is doable (and if I get accepted for #5, it too will be without a car).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

haha .. sounds alright.. Im going to think of some more questions and please keep updating me with any tips you can provide... THANKS!

goodguy20k is offline A-Ticket holder
    I'm curious... Has anyone considered buying a bicycle down there? I mean, it won't solve all the transportation problems (biking to downtown Orlando... HAHA! :P )... But it might help, if one is up for the physical level.

Also, do the Disney buses transfer off to the Orlando bus system (Lynx) at all? There's also a Greyhound bus station in Kissimmee... So that might solve longer distance trips.

And one thing I'm not going to bank on, but might be a happy little surprise is if you room with a (very nice and friendly) roommate who has a car. If you chip in gas and service for the car, he or she might be willing to take you where you need to go.

-Daniel

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't know if things have changed, but while I was down there my room mate had a bike. this was in 04, and they made him put it in his closet. We stayed for a full year too so for one year we couldn't really use our closet since there was a bike in there. Also, I saw one post saying you can't get into the parks before traditions, but if you go to the main gate and show them the ID the days before traditions they do let you in. Not a lot of people know that so you have an empty bus those first two days. I went with a group of ten people on both of the days and it was nice since none of us had met anyone before so we got a bus to ourselves and got to know each other along the way.

As for sending your stuff down, I actually found it easier to rent a car from our local airport and drop it off at Orlando. I am from Wisconsin so it was a 20 hour drive. Looking at the price of both plane tickets and shipping things down I saved about a hundred bucks, so that's another option, especially if you and your friend are going down together.
    -Brent
    "It's the time of your life, so live it well" ~ a bug's life

I have a Disney book coming out in the first week of March. Stop by www.fromscreentotheme.com for more details!

Ok, good to know about the bike. I'll make sure to contact Disney about it for a confirmation.

Good tip about the entry into the parks... Beats sitting around all day wishin' you had somethin' to do, right?

-Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by goodguy20k View Post
    I'm curious... Has anyone considered buying a bicycle down there? I mean, it won't solve all the transportation problems (biking to downtown Orlando... HAHA! :P )... But it might help, if one is up for the physical level.

Also, do the Disney buses transfer off to the Orlando bus system (Lynx) at all? There's also a Greyhound bus station in Kissimmee... So that might solve longer distance trips.

And one thing I'm not going to bank on, but might be a happy little surprise is if you room with a (very nice and friendly) roommate who has a car. If you chip in gas and service for the car, he or she might be willing to take you where you need to go.

-Daniel
    Bikes aren't allowed in the CP apartments. They are on the list of things not allowed on the website.

Not that I know of. The Disney park and CP buses don't line up with the Lynx buses (they have their own schedule). There are a couple of stops that are at the parks though.

Awesome, that's now off the list. Thanks.

-Daniel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast