Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss What Do They Look For When Reviewing Applications? in the Cast Members forums; Hi all! Like SO MANY teens/young adults out there, I'm very interested in the Disney College Program. I plan on applying for Fall 2010 and have possibly been over thinking ...
    rissaroo is offline A-Ticket holder

What Do They Look For When Reviewing Applications?

Hi all! Like SO MANY teens/young adults out there, I'm very interested in the Disney College Program. I plan on applying for Fall 2010 and have possibly been over thinking quite a bit lately. I'm hoping that someone here will have some answers to a few questions I have.

So many people apply to be part of the College Program, and quite a few get rejected. Obviously, there has to be some formula for how Disney chooses who gets to participate and who gets the rejection notice. I guess my question is, what do they go off of for selecting CPs? Do they look at your current GPA, any activities you've been involved in, etc? Do you have a better chance at getting accepted if you apply at the beginning of the application period? Also, do they take into account your major when thinking what role to give you?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!
    thanks to snowwhitesicons @ livejournal for the beautiful illuminations avatar!

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: What Do They Look For When Reviewing Applications?

First of all let me tell you they do not look at your GPA because I had a laughable GPA my freshman year when I applied and got in. (I have since then greatly raised my GPA.) What it felt like for me is that it comes down to two things.

These are what I got from from my application process experience.

1. Nail your phone interview. They are looking for someone who sounds personable, intellegent, and well spoken. The fact is there is no face to face interview that you can come in dressed in your best suit or dressed and so the only way you can set yourself apart is through the phone interview. Stress a desire to help people and definetly a love of disney and the parks. And most of all try to be relaxed.

2. Make yourself available. They give you a checklist of all the jobs out there and they tell you to check off what you want to do. CHECK THEM ALL. I checked all of them except for custodial. Then in the phone interview they asked me what my top four choices are and I got what I considered my fifth choice so to cover you bases and just check most if not everything on the list. And make sure you check that you are available for overtime and working holidays.

Good luck
    4 8 15 16 23 42

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?"

thepurplefoldercp.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by DarGoku368 View Post
    First of all let me tell you they do not look at your GPA because I had a laughable GPA my freshman year when I applied and got in. (I have since then greatly raised my GPA.) What it felt like for me is that it comes down to two things.

These are what I got from from my application process experience.

1. Nail your phone interview. They are looking for someone who sounds personable, intellegent, and well spoken. The fact is there is no face to face interview that you can come in dressed in your best suit or dressed and so the only way you can set yourself apart is through the phone interview. Stress a desire to help people and definetly a love of disney and the parks. And most of all try to be relaxed.

2. Make yourself available. They give you a checklist of all the jobs out there and they tell you to check off what you want to do. CHECK THEM ALL. I checked all of them except for custodial. Then in the phone interview they asked me what my top four choices are and I got what I considered my fifth choice so to cover you bases and just check most if not everything on the list. And make sure you check that you are available for overtime and working holidays.

Good luck
    Thank you so much for the quick, helpful response! I had a feeling that the interview might play a large part in whether or not one is accepted, so I'm very grateful that you confirmed that. As for roles, as of now I was only thinking of checking off about six - now I'll definitely select more. Also, OT and Holidays won't be that big of an issue for me.

During the interview, do they give you the opportunity to go into specifics about what roles you would like? I'm a total entertainer and plan on going to auditions for Character Performer, but I'd also like to let them know that I'd love the opportunity to have an Attractions role that interacts with the guests and has a monologue to perform. (ie - guide/host of The Great Movie Ride)

cjdiggs is offline C-Ticket Holder

Smile Re: What Do They Look For When Reviewing Applications?

I have no clue what they really look for. I was a history major and a so so GPA, So i would say just be yourself in the interview and don't put on a fake persona.

DarGoku368 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by rissaroo View Post
    Thank you so much for the quick, helpful response! I had a feeling that the interview might play a large part in whether or not one is accepted, so I'm very grateful that you confirmed that. As for roles, as of now I was only thinking of checking off about six - now I'll definitely select more. Also, OT and Holidays won't be that big of an issue for me.

During the interview, do they give you the opportunity to go into specifics about what roles you would like? I'm a total entertainer and plan on going to auditions for Character Performer, but I'd also like to let them know that I'd love the opportunity to have an Attractions role that interacts with the guests and has a monologue to perform. (ie - guide/host of The Great Movie Ride)
    Yeah I only mentioned the Holidays thing because there were people who werent prepared to work on Christmas and one good friend in fact who self terminated with only a couple weeks left in his program because he couldnt get Christmas time off to be with his family. I personally loved working on Christmas because the guests are seemed so much happier on that day and everybody was wishing everybody Merry Christmas and it was overall one of the best experiences of my program.

About the interview it probably depends who intervbiews you but mine did ask why I wanted particular positions (mainly Attractions and Hotel.) That said a majority of the questions they gave had to do with why you want to help people and how you can bring your own magic or "umph" (interviewer's word not mine) to the parks.
    4 8 15 16 23 42

"Rat, schmat, besides...they're tourists...what do they know?"

thepurplefoldercp.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by cjdiggs View Post
    I have no clue what they really look for. I was a history major and a so so GPA, So i would say just be yourself in the interview and don't put on a fake persona.
    Yeah, I'll definitely be my happy, pleasant, energetic self during the interview! It looks like that actually plays the biggest role in an acceptance/rejection, so I'll definitely be on my toes!

Thanks for your response!

PS - Is it okay if I ask what role you had? Was it your first/second/etc. choice?

Quote Originally Posted by DarGoku368 View Post
    About the interview it probably depends who intervbiews you but mine did ask why I wanted particular positions (mainly Attractions and Hotel.) That said a majority of the questions they gave had to do with why you want to help people and how you can bring your own magic or "umph" (interviewer's word not mine) to the parks.
    Excellent! Thank you so much for all your help, DarGoku.

InPerfectClouds is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm going to be honest with my opinion, though it may sound awful. I really don't think they reject anyone unless they simply have run out of room. I haven't heard of anyone being rejected or deferred unless they applied really late into the period and were told they would be on a waiting list if someone dropped out at the last minute. Unless you're absolutely monotonous, boring, and unenthusiastic, you should do fine with the phone interview. And who would even bother interviewing if they weren't going to try and get the job? If you make an effort, it will most likely pay off.

I failed every class last semester because of some poor decisions on my part, so my GPA is barely a 2.0, and I was accepted. I was also a Psychology major at the time, which doesn't have any correlation with what I'm doing at Disney at all.

I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck! I definitely think applying earlier rather than later is helpful and a better chance of getting your first choice role.

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Unfortunately that's not true. People have been rejected for reasons other then the CP being full. In fact, during the recruiting period for Fall 2009, there were people who were rejected in Feb (when the recruiting opened Jan 20).

Applying as early as possible, and picking as many roles as possible, help the chances a lot.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

DOasDREAMERSdo is offline A-Ticket holder

This is all super helpful!
    Thanks to everyone who gave input!
    Any wish is possible,
    all it takes is a little courage to set it free

Quote Originally Posted by InPerfectClouds View Post
    I'm going to be honest with my opinion, though it may sound awful. I really don't think they reject anyone unless they simply have run out of room. I haven't heard of anyone being rejected or deferred unless they applied really late into the period and were told they would be on a waiting list if someone dropped out at the last minute. Unless you're absolutely monotonous, boring, and unenthusiastic, you should do fine with the phone interview. And who would even bother interviewing if they weren't going to try and get the job? If you make an effort, it will most likely pay off.

I failed every class last semester because of some poor decisions on my part, so my GPA is barely a 2.0, and I was accepted. I was also a Psychology major at the time, which doesn't have any correlation with what I'm doing at Disney at all.

I'm sure you'll do fine! Good luck! I definitely think applying earlier rather than later is helpful and a better chance of getting your first choice role.
    Thanks for your answer! It put me at ease quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Unfortunately that's not true. People have been rejected for reasons other then the CP being full. In fact, during the recruiting period for Fall 2009, there were people who were rejected in Feb (when the recruiting opened Jan 20).
    What other reasons are there for people being rejected? I'd love to make a list of what NOT to do!

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Quote Originally Posted by rissaroo View Post
    What other reasons are there for people being rejected? I'd love to make a list of what NOT to do!
    I guess school issues could be a reason (though very rare), personal reasons, roles being full (though I don't see how this was an issue in Feb), or it could have been something else. All I can say is be yourself, pick plenty of roles, and apply early. This should help your chances.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

lollerstace is offline A-Ticket holder

one think i just want to add though on the as many roles as possible, be fully aware that whatever you put down, you might do, and there isn't really the opportunity to "switch" down there, so if you don't want to sell french fries, don't put down qsfb thinking when you get down there suddenly they'll realize you're cinderella. it doesn't work like that, and i think a lot of people who have complaints, say negative things about the wdwcp, or who end up getting termed just sign on the dotted line and don't really think about what they're getting themselves into. but as long as you're willing to do the jobs, then yes put down as many as possible.
    a dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

Dori is offline A-Ticket holder

I applied very, very late to the program (during the last month of recruiting) and I was accepted for attractions in the fall 09 program within two weeks of submitting my application, so there is hope for everyone, I think. I don't think your major counts as much as just being dedicated to Disney does. I would definitely look up the park maps and different attractions/roles before your phone interview so when you're asked questions you can give reference to specific rides, restaurants, events in your answers- being familiar with the parks in the interviews really helps : ) Also, be sure to make a list of a couple questions to ask at the end! The answers the interviewers give are really helpful : )