Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss Event Planning experience in the College Program? in the Cast Members forums; I'm still in high school at the moment, so I obviously have a few years to consider whether or not I should apply for the College Program. I've wanted to ...
    WDWCCO is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Event Planning experience in the College Program?

I'm still in high school at the moment, so I obviously have a few years to consider whether or not I should apply for the College Program.

I've wanted to work at Disney Fairy Tale Weddings for quite some time now, but I'm not sure whether or not the College Program would help me in terms of supplying opportunities within the Event Planning branch of WDW.

I know that the program would give me good experience in working inside the parks, but is it really worth the effort to do something that may not give me experience for when I apply for an internship/job in Event Planning?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Event Planning experience in the College Program?

My son did not get placed in his area of study, rather where he had prior work experience.

Yet any Disney experience during and post college is an asset. Being a Disney Graduate has opened a few doors for him. It has started conversations that would have never started without Disney.

A neighbor who manages a major hotel in Chicago told him his Disney U applicants always go to the top of the pile. Training and experience in customer service that no University can teach in a classroom setting.

Yet DU has set him back a year in his graduation schedule. There is an up and downside to everything.

ydonohue is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Event Planning experience in the College Program?

Ummm I never had experience in food service before I went there, I was in quick service food at MGM. However the people you meet, classes you take, shadowing, all of that DOES help you. If you're lucky enough to take the trainers class like I did as well, it's a lot of useful information. Just pay attention, talk to your leaders in classes and such, if you see something you'd like to do just go try to find out what you can to pursue it. If I get in after all this work, my major is culinary and I know I'm not getting that, but I plan on seeing if I can possibly shadow one of the chefs or check out their kitchens in the top end restaurants and all. Pursue your dreams, that's one thing our leaders in the speaker series told us to do.
    When life throws you garbage, you use it to climb!!!!