Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss KacieG's CP Adventure! in the Cast Members forums; So, I hope it's ok I start this thread. I'd like to be able to share my experience doing my first ever College Program at WDW. I hope to share ...
    KacieG is offline D-Ticket Holder

KacieG's CP Adventure!

So, I hope it's ok I start this thread. I'd like to be able to share my experience doing my first ever College Program at WDW. I hope to share stories and pics and info that might be useful for future CP's or interesting to whoever might be interested.

I've only been to WDW twice - for the Millennium Celebration in 2000 and then in 2005. (Also went to Dland last year.) So, I plan on making lots of discoveries and touring Disney as if I were a newbie, thanks to the amazing info I get here on the forums and from the podcast. I can't wait to hunt for hidden mickeys, be audio-guided by Lou, and just be able to enjoy being at the Happiest Place on Earth for 5 months.

I am leaving Minnesota this Wednesday (Aug 3rd) around 5am and going to make the 14-hour drive to Texas to visit family, go shopping, see doctors, etc. Then, on the 8th, I'll be driving to FL with my mom and little sister. Then my official start date is August 10th and I can't even explain my excitement!

Any advice you'd be willing to offer would be greatly appreciated as I'm both new to CP and fairly new to WDW. I plan on doing extensive blogs and vlogs once I get settled in, but I'd like to share here as I feel more comfortable w/ my Disney Mania in this environment.

Thanks for letting me share and I can't wait to hopefully meet some of you at the World!

DCP - Attractions - Disney Quest - Aug. 10th, 2011 - Jan. 6th, 2012

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: KacieG's CP Adventure!

I'm looking forward to your blogs. I have a DD in high school that wants to some day do the CP, so as a parent, I'm very interested in your experiences both good and bad.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Can't wait to read your blogs! Wave to me when you are in TX- I"ll wave back!

Safe travels and best of luck to you!

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Ya pretty soon you will be there!!!

Be sure to let me know if you will be around the parks aug 16-22nd...i'll be visiting and would love to say hi!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

Thank you all for the well-wishes. As soon as I know where I'm working I will for sure let you know.

Here's a question for any former CP'ers or anyone who's been away from their family for extended periods of time: How do you deal? I mean, I moved out when I was 18 and though it's been rough, moving away from home was one of the best things that's happened to me. I was forced to grow up and realize so many things I'd never get the chance to if I'd taken the option of staying at home through college.

My dilemma is, my boyfriend I will have been together 3 years this December, we've lived together for 2 of those years and we have a dog, Maxwell, who is the most amazing dog in the world. I'm already having separation anxiety at the thought of leaving them. BF will be fine after the initial sadness of being apart and we'll get to talk all the time, plus he's planning on visiting, etc. However, I'm honestly having a hard time dealing with the fact that I can't explain to my dog I'll be gone for 5 months. Just the thought of it right now makes me cry like a baby. I have literally cried every day the past 2 weeks because of this and I am just so worried that he is going to think I abandoned him or left. I can't imagine the thought of hurting him.

This might seem silly to most people, but I think lots of dog owners will understand, how do you explain that this time when you walk out the door, it won't be for a few hours to run errands? I've read that dogs' sense of time is different and I know time will fly by for me... I'm just so depressed about leaving them that it's taking a toll on my health.

Am I just over-worrying or being silly? Should I just be sad for awhile and then get over it? I know I am going to have a blast and gain so much from this experience, but I am also worried about the toll this will take both on my relationship w/ my BF and our dog.

If you've dealt with something like this, do you mind offering any advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by KacieG View Post
    Thank you all for the well-wishes. As soon as I know where I'm working I will for sure let you know.

Here's a question for any former CP'ers or anyone who's been away from their family for extended periods of time: How do you deal? I mean, I moved out when I was 18 and though it's been rough, moving away from home was one of the best things that's happened to me. I was forced to grow up and realize so many things I'd never get the chance to if I'd taken the option of staying at home through college.

My dilemma is, my boyfriend I will have been together 3 years this December, we've lived together for 2 of those years and we have a dog, Maxwell, who is the most amazing dog in the world. I'm already having separation anxiety at the thought of leaving them. BF will be fine after the initial sadness of being apart and we'll get to talk all the time, plus he's planning on visiting, etc. However, I'm honestly having a hard time dealing with the fact that I can't explain to my dog I'll be gone for 5 months. Just the thought of it right now makes me cry like a baby. I have literally cried every day the past 2 weeks because of this and I am just so worried that he is going to think I abandoned him or left. I can't imagine the thought of hurting him.

This might seem silly to most people, but I think lots of dog owners will understand, how do you explain that this time when you walk out the door, it won't be for a few hours to run errands? I've read that dogs' sense of time is different and I know time will fly by for me... I'm just so depressed about leaving them that it's taking a toll on my health.

Am I just over-worrying or being silly? Should I just be sad for awhile and then get over it? I know I am going to have a blast and gain so much from this experience, but I am also worried about the toll this will take both on my relationship w/ my BF and our dog.

If you've dealt with something like this, do you mind offering any advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

I moved out of home when I was 18 as well. For me it was a little easier. My parents have been divorced since I was 3, and live in seperate states. when I was in high school, I found calling my Mum once or twice a week (or even more!) to be helpful...Mind you this was all before any social media really. Now, Mum is still on the other side of the country to me, so we keep in contact a lot with Facebook,Skype and phone calls. I miss her like crazy, but It does ease it a little bit. You will be so busy, that the time will fly!

As for the relationship side, it will be difficult doing a long distance one. If the two of you are meant to be, then it will all work out. When I was away last year, I missed my DF and my kitty so much! During the day, I found it wasn't so bad, cos I was doing stuff. It was in the evening that killed me. I spoke to my Fiance every night, just to touch base, and really just to hear his voice. He sent me photos of our cat to my phone, and let me know that everything was okay at home, and that he couldn't wait for me to come home again.

I won't lie. If you're not used to being away from your family for long periods of time, then it will be tough, but the time will go quickly, and I'm sure you will have an amazing time, and make some lifelong friends along the way!!

I hoped this helped!!
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Have fun! I'm sure you'll have a blast. If you have any questions, I can do my best to answer them
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Have fun! I'm sure you'll have a blast. If you have any questions, I can do my best to answer them
    I think the thing I'm most unsure of is clothing. I know we're supposed to wear
    "professional" clothing when we arrive and for classes/training and stuff, I guess I just want to make sure I'm buying the right clothing.

New entry from earlier today. Kacie's Sandbox

About to get into bed early. Attempting to get up and leave before 6am, so keep your fingers crossed for me. Hoping to make it to TX in less than the 14 hours Google Maps is predicting. I've done it before, so here's hoping.

If I don't update for awhile, you'll know why. See y'all later this week!

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

I think the thing I'm most unsure of is clothing. I know we're supposed to wear
    "professional" clothing when we arrive and for classes/training and stuff, I guess I just want to make sure I'm buying the right clothing.
    It's really hard to get the wrong clothes for classes/training. Just look prefessional (like you were going to an interview). I always wore nice pants (usually black) with a nice top and I was fine

New entry from earlier today. Kacie's Sandbox

About to get into bed early. Attempting to get up and leave before 6am, so keep your fingers crossed for me. Hoping to make it to TX in less than the 14 hours Google Maps is predicting. I've done it before, so here's hoping.

If I don't update for awhile, you'll know why. See y'all later this week!
    Have a safe trip!
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    It's really hard to get the wrong clothes for classes/training. Just look prefessional (like you were going to an interview). I always wore nice pants (usually black) with a nice top and I was fine

Have a safe trip!

Thank you! After reading that, my shopping for "professional" clothing becae much easier. Now I am all set wardrobe wise. I just started wondering if I should bring an iron/ironing board and all that other stuff you need when moving into a new place/dorm/whatever... I still have a LOT to do!

Made it to Pensacola. Whirlwind last few days. Took us about 13 hours including stops to get here, so I'm pretty beat. Gonna rest and get up super early so I can be in Orlando by 3-4pm at the latest and do whatever else I need to do before check-in day on Wednesday.

I'm so excited!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I remember those two days before my DS induction. We flew into Orlando and stayed 2 nights at POR me 3. He went from excitement to nervous anticipation. They did a nice tour for the parents.

Enjoy every moment.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

I just know I packed way too much. Family felt the need to basically buy me a bunch of stuff as if I was buying a new apartment, lol. I have a giant suitcase, a smaller one, a backpack and 3 small/medium tubs of stuff. I'm going to be "that girl" for sure.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My DS had two huge duffel's, full set of golf clubs and a backpack. I shipped a large box 3'x2'x2' with all of his towels, bedding and other necessities to POR that arrived the day we checked into POR.

I had him toss everything but his clothes and golf clubs when he came home. Made room for all his souvenirs.

His actual room mate (shared his bed room with) came down in his suburban and it was filled, including a very big TV for living room and a TV for their bedroom. You're going to be there a long time, you need stuff.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast