Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney World College Program (WDWCP) Discuss Considering in the Cast Members forums; I'm considering the WDWCP for maybe next fall because I am getting my degree in hospitality management, mainly. I found out about it on my trip last week, actually from ...
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Considering

I'm considering the WDWCP for maybe next fall because I am getting my degree in hospitality management, mainly. I found out about it on my trip last week, actually from a friend that did it and loved it. I've been trying to research as much about it as I can, and know the basics, but there are some things I'm wondering about....

Since there are like 3 different places to live, do you pick where you live and how many roommates you have? Money isn't a big object for me if I did it (meaning I could stay somewhere nicer and not have to share a place with so many people if need be) I would be in an under 21 room but depending on when I do it, may turn 21 while down there.
    What's the nicest/quietest of the 3 buildings? Does a lot of hard/crazy partying go on? That's not really my lifestyle (I don't drink underage or anything), I mean I can deal with it, I just don't want to be an outcast if that's what most everybody does.

I would really, really, reaaaaaally love to work in the attractions most but I wouldn't really limit to that. I can't ride a few things - mainly Mission: Space, Tower of Terror, or Expedition Everest. Is it just tough luck if they assign you to something you can't ride? I mean, I wouldn't really mind it, I'm not picky, but it would be kinda weird. Can you let them know if there are any specific attractions you'd be interested in (I'm a walking encyclopedia on a few of them, lol)?

I'm researching to find out if this is really for me before I look in to it further. Thanks for your time.
    Last edited by clj2; 09-10-2011 at 01:19 AM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

KacieG is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: Considering

You don't get to pick where you live, or how many roommates you get. However, if you get there early enough on checkin day, they'll ask you if you have a preference for the 3 properties (Vista Way, Chatham & Patterson) and you'll more likely get less roommates the earlier you get there as well.

The quietest would be Chatham or Patterson, however I am in Patterson right now and I can say that they are definitely nicer than the other 2 properties. They're newer and cleaner from what I've seen and I am so lucky to be here. I am not a partier either and though I'm over 21, I don't drink and all that stuff. Seriously, I've had friends move (and pay the fee to move) to Vista Way because they thought it was "too quiet." lol Just FYI, Vista is the oldest and known for it's loud partying and events since Disney does all the checkin and stuff there as well. (You are able to switch complexes/rooms after 21 days of living here, however they do charge you like $50 or something.)

As for attractions, they do take requests depending on your arrival time. For example, a friend of mine did Fall advantage and was one of the first to arrive back in June or May I think. He requested Tower of Terror and got it. However, we arrived here in August and I don't believe we were given a choice. (At least, they didn't ask me or my roommates, lol.) However, be aware that your arrival time is key. If they don't need anyone else on Great Movie Ride, they'll likely ignore your request and send you somewhere else. So, be aware of that.

If you get an attraction you can't ride, it's not a big deal. You really don't have to ride them unless you're doing opening or closing checks and if you're unable to, they encourage you to speak up and have another CM help you out or ride for you.

Let me know if these answer your questions and keep 'em coming. We've got some great former and current CP's here on the forums and we're here to help.

DCP - Attractions - Disney Quest - Aug. 10th, 2011 - Jan. 6th, 2012

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

I just returned from the CP in June and loved every minute of it. On my check-in day I arrived early so that I would have the best chance of getting the apartment I wanted. I requested a 3 BR in Chatham and that's exactly what I got. Nothing is guaranteed, but if what you want is available they do try to honor your requests.

Chatham and Patterson are both fairly quiet, Vista is known for being louder. Patterson is the newest, but I found that the apartments there weren't as large as they are at Chatham. Vista is the oldest and smallest by quite a bit. I had friends who lived in Patterson and loved it, while I lived in Chatham and wouldn't have traded for anything. It's just personal preference, both places are pretty and nice.

You can always try to request the job your interested in, but like the apartments, nothing is guaranteed. When you apply for the program, try to check a variety of roles that you'd be willing to do so that it ups your odds of getting accepted. Once Disney assigns your role to you, that's what your stuck with. I got Quick Service Food and Bev, which I was not thrilled about when I found out. My location was Epcot Outdoor Foods and I ended up completely loving it. I miss it every day. So even if you don't get the role at the top of your list, try not to be too bummed. I'd say definitely give the program a shot, you'll have the time of your life.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Thanks for your replies. Those help a lot!

Yeah, I've read all about what goes on at Vista Way online, but I'm sure not everybody there's like that - but the Chatham/Patterson sounds a lot more like my type of place, are both equally as "quiet?" The Patterson apartments look really, really nice from a video I saw on Youtube.
    Is it hard to fit in at the CP? Like I said, I don't live on a college campus or anything, and never have, so I'm not sure if I'd fit in very well. I've never been that far away from home before, since I live in SC. I have a good personality, but I'm just laid back and don't really do social events unless necessary...would I have trouble making friends??

If I decided to try to do the fall 2012 program, when would I need to apply? Also, do I need prior work history? I have never had a full-time job....

Oh, and when you request a certain attraction, does the popularity of it affect the likelihood of you getting to work there? I mean, I'm sure there are a lot more wanting to do something at Tower of Terror than something like Journey Into Imagination. I'd love to work at Journey Into Imagination, Great Movie Ride, or Enchanted Tiki Room (my personality is showing through haha), but like I said, I'm not picky, but do have preferences. I can't get the website for the program to load, but from what I've read, I'd be willing to work in the hotels or attractions.

Sorry for all of the questions....like I said, I'm just wanting to know as much as I can about it! My goal is to work in the tourism industry and I was so excited when I found out about this (although I don't think I'd want to work at WDW forever!)!

Thanks again!
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

I never dormed in school, and I didn't have problems fitting in to the CP.

Disney will be recruiting for Fall 2012 around late Jan/early Feb 2012. And no, you don't need work history. My first CP was my first real job.

Not at all. I was able to get GMR for my CP. And I know others who have gotten ToT, HM, JC ect
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post

Yeah, I've read all about what goes on at Vista Way online, but I'm sure not everybody there's like that - but the Chatham/Patterson sounds a lot more like my type of place, are both equally as "quiet?" The Patterson apartments look really, really nice from a video I saw on Youtube.
    Is it hard to fit in at the CP? !
    My DS was very excited but nervous when he went down for his CP. He did dorm for 2 years before but this was different he would be gone for almost 6 months. He made friends quickly with both his roomies and the people he worked with.

I was at Vista twice. You can close your apartment door and not participate in the "Vista" activities. I can say though from what I saw on the evening I was briefly there, it is very much like a University type campus housing, it is very lively. To some extent you have to remember the YouTubes are from very specific events and doesn't represent 90% of the time off. My son had the time of his life at Vista and still meets up with those friends of several years ago.

My suggestion is to try for Chatham or Patterson but if you do wind up at Vista it will likely be fine or you can transfer complexes if you cannot adjust.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Thank you all for your answers! I should know by the end of the year if I'm able to apply for it/decide to. It sounds like fun. Would definitely put in for the Patterson or Chatham and be there as early as possible.

Is arrival time the same as check in day?? Really, I wouldn't be that picky about attractions - I love almost every thing at Disney, except for the stuff that makes me sick!

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

I'm not sure what you mean. But on check in day, you can arrive between 9am-1pm (and they usually let people start earlier, if they are all set up at Vista).
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009