Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney World Trivia Books & Audio Guides to WDW Discuss Weenies in the WDWRadio.com forums; Just curious - How did Walt Disney decide on the name "Weenies" to describe the focal points of each land and theme park? (Vol. 1, "All Around the World", pg. ...
    smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder

Weenies

Just curious - How did Walt Disney decide on the name "Weenies" to describe the focal points of each land and theme park? (Vol. 1, "All Around the World", pg. 14, question 13)
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    He was hungry and the original spoke from the center design looked like a plate full of hot dogs? I have no real idea, I hope someone enlightens me because now I feel stupid.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

No, please don't feel stupid! I felt rather silly asking but just couldn't help it! Weenies?? Hmmm . . .
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    According to John Hench's book Designing Disney, "Walt observed that people move towards things that are inviting," and used the term wienie to refer to something that "...beckons them to continue further in their journey." Walt used wienie because of a life long love of hot dogs!

Examples of wienies in Walt Disney World: Cinderella Castle, which draws the guest up Main Street. Once close to the castle, you can see the Carousel through the archway - another wienie drawing you on. The Astro Orbiter draws you into Tomorrowland. Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life, and that Big Hat are all wienies as well, but they can be smaller things too. Anything you see down a hallway or path that encourages you to go down that route and check it out is a wienie.

(John Hench uses the spelling "wienies" while I see Lou used "weenies")

Hope that clears things up!
    Last edited by disneydame2004; 03-05-2008 at 10:31 AM.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Absolutely wonderful! Thank you so much! The man never ceases to amaze me. I am fascinated as I read this book! I am sure I will have more questions to follow!
    Samantha

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!
    I was thinkin' about using that same info. from John Hench's book too to answer this question, for the first few posts, until I saw it had already been answered!
    I've had both of Lou's books for quite some time & use them for reference often, even though I know most of the answers by now.
    John Hench's book is another GREAT read for any Disney fans fix, along with MANY others out there.
    Enjoy Lou's books!
    Last edited by Dizisit; 03-05-2008 at 08:45 PM.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

tiggerguy is offline As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    According to John Hench's book Designing Disney, "Walt observed that people move towards things that are inviting," and used the term wienie to refer to something that "...beckons them to continue further in their journey." Walt used wienie because of a life long love of hot dogs!

Examples of wienies in Walt Disney World: Cinderella Castle, which draws the guest up Main Street. Once close to the castle, you can see the Carousel through the archway - another wienie drawing you on. The Astro Orbiter draws you into Tomorrowland. Spaceship Earth, the Tree of Life, and that Big Hat are all wienies as well, but they can be smaller things too. Anything you see down a hallway or path that encourages you to go down that route and check it out is a wienie.

The story as told by John Hench is indeed the truth. The gentleman I play trivia with on the florida forum was a friend of Walt and parlayed that story to me. He also said he was told by Lillian Disney, the reason why Walt built Disneyland was so that he could have a hot dog whenever he felt like it
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

wdwfns2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    In 2002 I took a "behind the scenes" train tour and another guest asked that very question. The conductor explained that the folklore goes back to before any of the parks were ever built. Walt had an old dog that was very sick. The dog would lay around all day and it was obvious to Lily just how much the dog was suffering Walt worked long hours so he usually missed this. When he would pull into the driveway at night (around 7:30) the dogs tail would start to wag. When Walt came in the house, he would open the refridgerator and take out a "weenie". The dog would run around and perform tricks for Walt so that it could eat the hot dog Walt always commented about how much energy the dog had whenever Lily discussed how much the poor thing was suffering. To make a long story short(er), somehow, later as the parks were being built, he would refer to the "park icon" as a weenie because it was something that would draw you towards it and it gave you that happy feeling, made you feel better, and helped you forget about problems in the outside world.

...I think I read this somewhere also, but I can't seem to find the passage that discusses this in any of my Disney biographies. Does this ring a bell to anyone else?
    Day 1 WDW Radio
    Keep to the code

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I do remember reading something about the infamous weenies. But I can't remember the title of the book.

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I always wondered why they were called "wienies". Now I know. Good deal!

disney0556 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Weenies

I recall seeing Marty Sklar on Disney.com refer to the weenie in one episode. It was Walt's term for the wiggling finger or visual enticement which beckoned you to proceed to the next point in the park. There was also a reference to the Disney 10 commandments for providing a good show. The weenie was part of these rules.

LILYCOOL is offline B-Ticket Holder

Now I know wenies!!
    In winter,if you never owned even one pair of elephant paws ,it's really a pity.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand. -- Confucius

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by disney0556 View Post
    I recall seeing Marty Sklar on Disney.com refer to the weenie in one episode. It was Walt's term for the wiggling finger or visual enticement which beckoned you to proceed to the next point in the park. There was also a reference to the Disney 10 commandments for providing a good show.
    Which reminds me... I need to write to Sklar to get his autograph added to my Disney Legends project!
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post

Funny just saw that skimming this book!

Miss you and your answers Pat.