Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
The Walt Disney World Trivia Books & Audio Guides to WDW Discuss Michael Eisner reads the WDW Trivia Book!!!! in the WDWRadio.com forums; WOW!!!! That's all I can say atthis point... I received an email last night from a DWT Member and friend that made me forget about the fact that I closed ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

Michael Eisner reads the WDW Trivia Book!!!!

WOW!!!! That's all I can say atthis point... I received an email last night from a DWT Member and friend that made me forget about the fact that I closed on my new home earlier in the day.

Before I share this email, let me tell you a little bit about how this got started....

I received an email from Disneydame2004 (Pat) that Michael Eisner was going to be doing a book signing at the Borders in NYC on June 15. I was immediately excited, as NYC isn't that far away, and this was my one and only chance to get the "Big Cheese" to see a copy of my book.

I had even considered paying some High School kid like $10 and hour to get there arealy and stand on line for me... I'd sneak out of work at lunch, shoot into the City, meet the man, and be back in no time. Unfortunatley, my house closing was resceduled for that day, putting the big kibosh on my master plan.

I didn't give it a second though, as my closing, work, book, site, etc has been so hectic lately.

Then I got this:

Hi, Lou!

Hope all went well with the house closing today! I'm sure you're tired and stressed and have a million and one things to do, but you will really want to hear about my day.

First I made a stop at my local Borders and bought their last copy of The Walt Disney World Trivia Book by we-know-who, as well as a copy of Michael Eisner's book, Camp.

Then drove to Staten Island (have I ever told you how much I hate the Belt Parkway??), narrowly avoided getting a ticket for parking in the wrong lot at the ferry terminal, and missed the 10:30 ferry.

Waited for the 11:00 ferry and figured my chances were getting slim, but I'd still try to get on line for Michael Eisner's book signing.

I made it to NYC and waked up the 8 or 10 blocks to Borders. Found the info desk, and then where the signing would be held - its now 5 minutes to 12.
    There was no one there. Just a Borders employee setting up the table & books. No line!!!!

There was much rejoicing.

I asked if they would allow signing of more than one copy - they said yes!

I asked if I could take pictures - yes again!

I ran back downstairs and bought another copy of Camp, then grabbed some sort of protein shake at the cafe, and found a chair near the signing location to wait.

The line started forming at about 10 minutes to 1:00. I was fourth.
    A Borders employee came down the line and asked if we wanted the books personalized, and the name. He put a sticky-note with the name in each book.
    By 1:05 there were maybe 20 -25 people on line.

Mr. Eisner showed up at 1:10. He smiled and greeted people on the line, including me, as he walked past. He is quite tall! Looked good, wearing a Mickey tie.

First guy on line has 3 copies signed. Next lady just had one, and the woman in front of me used to live down the street from him.
    Now it's my turn.

I choke.

I'm shaking like a leaf, but I did shake his hand and smile.

Totally forgot what I wanted to ask.

Totally forgot what I wanted to say.

Totally forgot my own name.

I know I said something about being a huge fan (ugh - lame) and thanks for all he had done for Disney (even lamer). He smiled and said something polite and almost friendly sounding.

He signed the first book to me - thank goodness for the sticky-note!

I ask if I may take his picture. He says "Sure!" I snap a single shot, which amazingly is not shaken to a complete blur.

Then he's signing the second copy and asks me to clarify the name:
    I tell him "Lou Mongello"

He starts writing Lou Mu...and asks is this right?

I shake my head and pull out your book. No, it's M-o-g-e-l-l-o omg, I realized what I had just done! But there it was in black sharpie. And I'm still holding The Walt Disney World Trivia Book!

I say, "he's a friend and also an author and a really big fan. May I give you his book?"

He says "Sure!" and even sounds pleased, not just humoring.

I wish I could see your face right now!

Lou, at 1:12 this afternoon, MICHAEL EISNER WAS HOLDING A COPY OF THE WALT DISNEY WORLD TRIVIA BOOK!!!!

He did a quick leaf through the pages, looked at the cover again, said "hmm!" in a way I wish I could repeat - not dismissive at all, almost I would say slightly impressed and curious. He thanked me for it and put it down on the table by his right hand. I babbled something else, backed away from the table and almost fell down the steps.
    Before I could make a complete fool of myself, I bolted for the ladies room.

I went back to the signing area again after a few minutes, and his line was completely gone. It's only 1:20, and the most powerful man in the entertainment business is chatting with Borders employees and his security (looked like 2 body guards and possibly a personal assistant).

The Walt Disney World Trivia Book was still next to him on the table, and it looked like someone else must have given him something that he had stuck inside the front cover (piece of paper).

Without doing an exact count, I would say you had more people at YOUR book signings than he did.

I made two attempts at trying to compose myself enough to try to say something intelligent, but security started to notice me hanging around and was giving me nasty looks, and I still couldn't remember my name, so I left. Made the 1:30 ferry, got back to Staten Island, and drove home (have I told you how much I really hate the Belt Parkway?).

Of course, I should have gotten your name spelled correctly. And a photo of Eisner with the book would have been a good idea, but I wasn't exactly coherent at that moment. I'm sorry!

I hope your day just got a whole lot better!

-Pat

----------------------------------

Well, needless to say, I was speechless, other than an ear-to-ear grin. Yes, Pat... you SHOULD have seen my face! I called up to Deanna and had her run down to read this. I emailed pat back and asked for her number - I had to hear the story for myself and say thanks!!

Well, let me just say, WOW again. I cannot believe that someone would do something like this for me. I was and am absolutely speechless. I have never met Pat, but she has always been thoughtful, by sending my daughter birthday presents, etc. (Sorry if I'm embarrasing you, but this really blew me away). To take a day to travel to the City from Long Island, inconvenience other family members, etc.... well, I'm really jsut so thankful. Even if nothing at all ever comes of it, just to know that Michael Eisner was possibly reading my book on the plane (or bathroom, I admit it), really gave me such a great feeling.

Who knows... maybe he'll even join the forums!! If so, "HI Mr. EISNER!!"

This was the perfect end to an amazing day, and I cannot say enough about what Pat did for me.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

WAHOO LOU!!! How cool! I can only imagine the excitement that you are feeling! How nice of Pat to do what she did for you! I personally think that he will be very impressed with your book...I know that we all are! How nice to have your day made like that! Continue to smile!

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    WOW!!!!!!!Thats great to hear maybe he can even put in a good word to get your book in the park! Reading it thru for my second time

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Go Lou! Go Pat! Nice work both of you! This could be the start of something really good!

All it takes is one spark!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Pat, I loved your account!

Very cool you two! Now let's hope Eisner is interested enough to stock Lou's book in WDW stores.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

nrose101 is offline Lez Do It!
    Tha is wonderful news Lou. I bet Mr. Eisners last action as CEO will be to name Lou Mongello as the head of the Trivia Division for The Disney Company!
    Sincerely,

Nathan M Rose
    Owner of MagicalMountain, FlickDirect, Co-Host of The Award Winning MouseTunes Disney Podcast (Keep Babbling Forever!), and last but not least Co-Host of the Magical Definition Podcast.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    That's so cool

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Okay, am I the only one crying? That really brought tears to my eyes. What a very touching, kind thing to do Pat! You are a class act!
    They call me "Nana"

MommytoMJM is offline DisneyWorldTrivia Mod - Living Disney as a Lifestyle
    Awesome< Awesome< Awesome!!!!
    Bonny June, Homeschooler, Webmaster and SNK/Adoption Advocate~~Marjorie June Mailani Adopted SNK, Disney Fanatic, Joyous, Cheerful, Incredible Kid~~Andrew, Cast Member, Disney Reservations Center~~Heart Mom to Cody (adoption loss 10-00)
    (linkie fixed...heh heh, thanks Val!)

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    PS. There will be two more people reading at least excerpts from your book today Lou. Last night I made a chain with 100 links on it for my nieces to count down our upcoming trip to WDW. Each link has a trivia fact written on it about WDW. Well, those facts had to come from somewhere! Did you know that WDW serves 9 million hamburgers, 7 million hot dogs, and 9 million pounds of fries a year? Just thought you would like to know.
    They call me "Nana"

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    You guys are all the best... someone hand me a tissue... I think I'm getting all weepy
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Easy big guy.

That's awesome news! The Disney Trivia Empire is just around the corner.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    Quote Originally Posted by nrose101
    Tha is wonderful news Lou. I bet Mr. Eisners last action as CEO will be to name Lou Mongello as the head of the Trivia Division for The Disney Company!
    Lou, you could take over Dave Smith's job!!!
    Way to go Pat!!! I know how you must have felt meeting Mr Eisner, the few times I have met celebrities my brain just goes to mush , I babble incoherently, and I get this silly grin on my face.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Wow!!! That's an awesome thing you did, Pat; for a great guy, !!!

P.S. Did anyone notice the sign above Mikey's head. Irony or what?
    Last edited by Jiminy Cricket; 06-16-2005 at 01:44 PM.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Thanks, guys I just was lucky to have the opportunity. It was a thrill for me to shake Mr. Eisner's hand (even if I did have to wipe my sweaty palm off on my skirt first), but even more of one to make a little bit of magic for Lou, who has done so much for all of us here.

Tnina - what a brilliant idea! I'm going to start doing an email-version of that for my family ASAP!

April - if the 'spark' results in a lawsuit, my 'real' name is Jane from Idaho.

JC - not quite sure of the irony, but that's where the store was - Wall St. & Broadway, Manhattan. I'm sure it was there on purpose.

Now if only I could get the image of him reading it in the bathroom out of my head...
    Last edited by disneydame2004; 06-16-2005 at 01:51 PM.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast