Your Walt Disney World Information Station
The Walt Disney World Trivia Books & Audio Guides to WDW Discuss Please help identify this object in the WDWRadio.com forums; I recently bought this item though Disney Surplus. It was identified as having come from the 20K LUS lagoon. It's very heavy- being made of cast metal. The odd chains ...
    nautilusnut is offline A-Ticket holder

Please help identify this object

I recently bought this item though Disney Surplus. It was identified as having come from the 20K LUS lagoon. It's very heavy- being made of cast metal. The odd chains and "bell's are cast bronze. Inside each "bell" is a strange-looking "clapper".
    The outside of each bell has odd markings and the chain looks kinda like the rakers on the Nautilus. If it's hung up, the chains hang almost 6 feet down. I asked the Disney experts and they don't know what it is- most don't think it's from 20K. One says it is- another thinks it's from the sub ride at Disneyland- though it seems strange to me it would have been sent to Fla. If anyone knows what it is and where it might have come from please let me know. I'd love it to be from 20K- but anywhere in the Magic Kingdom would be good. I plan to put it in my garden as
    "Yard Art"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Welcome to the boards!!! Have no idea what you bought, or where it came from, but I am sure there is a member of DTW.com that will give you an answer soon.

P.S. Tupelo, the birthplace of The King!!!
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    maybe the base of one of the chain posts for queue?

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Sorry, it's been waaaay too long since I've been on the Nautilus (back in the 70's). I can't really remember the interior of the ship other than there were two rows of seats that ran lenghtwise facing the portholes on the side of the ship. I don't remember there being anything fancy with the seats, other than they folded up/down for un/loading - and I don't remember any fancy ornimentation on or around the seats themselves. I do remember that there were stairs to get in/out of the ship, but I can't remember what kind of ornimentation they had.

I'm fairly sure that your part came from the interior portion of the ship - just wish that I could help you out a little more. I've posted a copy of some exterior drawings of the Nautilus, but I don't think that they'll be of any help: Nautilus In any case good luck, and please let us know if you find the answer.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    That's easy you got a piece of an ancient torture chamber used on the mermaids by the mermen... You see they would place this device over the mermaids heads an wrap the chains..... Nevermind.. I have no clue what you got!!!!

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust
    Firstly, welcome! It's good to have another big 20K fan here.
    About the item - We were discussing this thing over at 20kride.com when it was first put on eBay. I can remember it being advertised as being one of the air-pumps located beside the harvester divers. The general consensus there, former cast members included, is that it wasn't from the 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea lagoon set-up. But who knows? Maybe it was part of the ride somewhere, but not the lagoon. It's bronze look makes me think that it could have come from the queue, as Tampa suggested, but those markings on the base keep saying to me 'Tomorrowland'.
    Last edited by 20K; 06-30-2005 at 07:00 AM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by 20K
    Firstly, welcome! It's good to have another big 20K fan here.
    About the item - We were discussing this thing over at 20kride.com when it was first put on eBay. I can remember it being advertised as being one of the air-pumps located beside the harvester divers. The general consensus there, former cast members included, is that it wasn't from the 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea lagoon set-up. But who knows? Maybe it was part of the ride somewhere, but not the lagoon. It's bronze look makes me think that it could have come from the queue, as Tampa suggested, but those markings on the base keep saying to me 'Tomorrowland'.

Okay.. do we get to torture you now that you have spoken about 20k??

No, no, no! The torture comes later....much later Actually, I should probably change my signature. From now on you will have to submit requests for torturing privileges. But anyway, anyone else have any ideas as to where the prop's from?
    Last edited by 20K; 06-30-2005 at 08:58 AM.

- Walt Disney

Not sure where it is from but I am putting in my request.... I am a patient person... I can wait... Plus I love to torture people... It's one of my past times...

Request noted, in a sick sort of way

- Walt Disney

Unidentified object

I appreciate the sincere attempts to identify the object. I does look as if it had been submerged in water judging from the corrosion on the cast arm. A co-worker says it's the dinner bell from in front of a Stuckeys! I DO hope someone recognizes it. As to coming off a sub- of that I'm sure- it did not. I have good photos of the ride- both inside and out- and no one connected with the ride itself remembers it.

Please keep trying.

On a serious note.... Can I ask how much u paid for this contraption and why you purchased it not knowing it's exact origin???

unknown object

To be honest- I was supect of the photo shown of the object- but the dealer is reputable and I believe he was told it was from there and thought it was. Really wanting something from that ride I bid on it on ebay- as most props from the 20K ride go for astronomical sums. Since I was the only bidder that should have tipped me off. 200.00 including the shipping. It was almost 200lbs. After the auction I was told it was cast iron (I thought it was fiberglass) Turns out it's cast bronze.

Nautilusnut, check your PM.

- Walt Disney