Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Is WDW Good for Adults Without Kids? in the News & Rumors forums; Interesting blog entry from the Orlando Sentinel community section: Is Disney "Adults Without Kids" Friendly? posted by Kathy Holmes on Feb 23, 2007 5:43:54 PM One of the draws to ...
    Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Lightbulb Is WDW Good for Adults Without Kids?

Interesting blog entry from the Orlando Sentinel community section:

Is Disney "Adults Without Kids" Friendly?

posted by Kathy Holmes on Feb 23, 2007 5:43:54 PM

One of the draws to Disney World for us back in the 1990s was their promotion of the idea that Disney wasn't just for families with kids, but it was also a great place for adults without kids. And I recall that when Epcot opened in 1982, it definitely was a draw for adults. But I've seen a change over the years that more and more adult activities, attractions, and dining venues at Disney are being replaced with a more kid-friendly focus.

And while the Disney Cruise Line has several "adult-only" venues, the article on Disney to Add 2 New Ships to Fleet states, "With fierce competition among cruise lines, Disney is hoping to position itself as the ultimate getaway for families." And while there's some discussion about what the word "family" means - can a couple be a family or must it include kids - it's a no-brainer that Disney focuses their prime marketing efforts on families with kids.

Even the city of Orlando's new motto: "Built for Families, Made for Memories" caters to the family unit with kids. They've received a lot of criticism for that motto, comparing it to the cooler and hipper, "What Happens in Vegas, Stays in Vegas" slogan of their nemesis, Las Vegas.

So as Disney and the city of Orlando focus more and more on families with kids, they shouldn't be surprised that they're in fierce competition with Las Vegas - a decidedly more adult without kids venue - for tourist dollars. Although it appears that Disney is trying their best shot at competing with Vegas weddings with the latest announcement of the Princess Wedding Dress collection. I don't think Vegas has anything to worry about.

Source URL: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/com...ney_adult.html

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Interesting article, although why she didn't mention WDW is the #1 honeymoon destination in the USA is beyond me. And WDW is well aware of that fact, it just set up an online honeymoon registry. That was not available for my WDW honeymoon. And for the most part, honeymoons are adult only events.

I wouldn't exactly say WDW is solely focusing on families with kids, but at times I do have to wonder about the whole of the Disney empire for those of us who were Disney fans as children who are now adults. At times it does seem exclusive to those of us w/o children, which part of the reason I loved DCL...which was very inclusive. It'll be interesting to see what DCL does with the 2 new ships joining their fleet.

Uncle Walt said it himself and in his own words:
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Also, this article reminds me of a personal pet peeve of mine. I find it highly insulting that there are people out there who believe you must reproduce to be a considered a "family." To me, a family is 2 or more people who are related by blood or love who care/love/support one another...ages do not matter....the combinations are endless!
    Last edited by MandaBella; 02-23-2007 at 11:28 PM.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Mr. iwbm and I consider ourselves a family with or without the kids. I'm not offended by Disney's push to cater to families. Rather than look at it as catering to people with children I look at it as catering to those who value families and have family values, regardless of the size or make-up of the family. Those looking for a one night stand or a holiday fling can go to Vegas. After all, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. What happens at WDW lives forever in our minds, memories, scrapbooks, and the DWT boards!
    They call me "Nana"

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    Those looking for a one night stand or a holiday fling can go to Vegas. After all, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. What happens at WDW lives forever in our minds, memories, scrapbooks, and the DWT boards!
    So well put!
    We have gone to WDW more often as a group of "grown-up kids" than we did when our dd was still of school age. (The last time was with a group of 10 over the age of 30 which was a blast.) And, though I really wish I'd been with my dd when she accompanied her cousin and her soon-to-be stepchildren on their first visit, it is still WAY more exciting when your own child pulls out the ol' American Express and pays for dinner. Maybe it's because I don't see myself as an adult once we drive under the archway. I've never felt slighted ...well, ok, maybe knowing that I'm not in the focus group that they look for to be in the parades makes me feel a bit left out, but I always seem to have a great time at WDW.... unless we only stay for less than a full day.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    As long as I'm at WDW, I'm good. I think it's great that disney is catering more to families with kids. Let's face it, all of us here are kids at heart.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    [quote=MandaBella;423833]
    Uncle Walt said it himself and in his own words:
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

That is so the truth!
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Ann and I have been to WDW 4 times and we don't have kids... We just turn into kids when we get there!!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Yeah, but have you been on Pirates of the Caribbean?
    They call me "Nana"

Yeah, but have you been on Pirates of the Caribbean?

Of course - I wonder why you ask?!!!
    Rich

Cause the first three times you went you didn't go on it!
    They call me "Nana"

Cause the first three times you went you didn't go on it!

Ah.... Ssssshhhhh!!!

I knew there would be a reason for asking!!
    Rich

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    i went with a friend of mine 2 summers ago and we had an amazing time...disney is what you make it...it's great going w/ "family" but it's magical for anyone!
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    My last two trips have been without children. In fact only one of my 5 trips HAS been with my kids. Each time I had a great time and enjoyed myself. I didn't feel out of place and I turned into a kid. Last trip- big time (I wonder about the lamp at ToT!)

Anyway, I would go back with or without kids and not have any problem with it.

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i have no children yet and i go to disney 5 times a year...i have been to many islands and a lot of states...i can say i could care less if i ever see another island again!! DISNEY IS THE VACATION FOR ME!!!!!
    shannon

Quote Originally Posted by trickster View Post
    Ann and I have been to WDW 4 times and we don't have kids... We just turn into kids when we get there!!!

Didn't you mean to say that Ann turns into a kid? It doesn't take much for you since you normally act like one anyways.

When I saw the title of this thread, my first reaction was....

Is this a serious question?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast