Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Main Street, USA Getting a New Look in the News & Rumors forums; A Brand New Look for Good Ol' Fashioned Main Street? Actually, considering its turn of the century, early 1900s theming, this is actually more of a new, old look. But ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Main Street, USA Getting a New Look

A Brand New Look for Good Ol' Fashioned Main Street?

Actually, considering its turn of the century, early 1900s theming, this is actually more of a new, old look. But either way, it's little secret that the storefronts and window displays all along Main Street, USA in Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom theme park have definitely been on the change lately.

A few weeks back, I had reported that the window displays of the Watch Shop had changed for the first time in as far back as I could remember, trading in the somewhat busy and almost cartoonish look of cogs, gears, and watch components, to a simpler, cleaner, almost classy appearance. And although I didn't report it at the time, a large green wall had also just recently appeared just North of that location, blocking off the Market House and its neighboring crystal shop which shared a building with the bakery next to that. The Market House has always been a favorite little store of mine, situated right there on the corner, featuring Disney-done housewares, a neat-o vinatage telephone (complete with a gabby neighbor hogging the party line), and a little-known place to duck inside, sit down in the air conditioning and out of the mid-day Florida sun, and play a good old game of checkers and ditch the crowds and standing in line for a bit.

But walking down Main Street, USA shortly after park opening on Sunday morning, February 25th, the normally pleasant smell of the Main Street bakery seemed somwhat tainted by the smell of something different. It smelled kind of like... a fresh coat of paint. Looking around, the first thing I observed was that many of the Main Street windows had recieved a makeover similar to the one the Watch Shop had undergone. But even more drastic a change than this, was the items on display in the window of the Market House.

"Smells like a fresh coat of paint," I said to a pair of important looking Cast Members standing outside the door. Instead of the typical Main Street costuming, these two wore a more traditional business attire, with button down collared shirts and ties. I assumed them to be in management or something other than just merchandise.

"It is," one of them replied. I believe his Cast Member name badge identified him as Axel, or something similar to that anyway. "We just reopened today, first day," he informed me.

"So does that make me the first guest in the store?" I asked him, as I consciously stepped into the doorway, wanting oh so very much to be able to say I was the first guest to ever step foot inside this newly reopened store.

"Yes it does," he replied.

"Cool.... Do I win anything?" I asked jokingly.

"You can be the first to buy something if you like," he played back.

So, perhaps there was no free gift for being the first guest in the new store, but I wasn't really too terribly bummed by it either. I was too busy taking in the changes. The new Market House, while still being called that (although I would not be surpised to see the name officially change within the next month or so), no longer housed such things as Mickey Mouse place settings, coffee mugs, checker games or vintage telephones. It now housed much of what used to be on display in the crystal shop next door, complete with the glass booth in the center of the store where guests could watch as glass artists and the blinding heat of a torch sculpted fantastic glass and crystal Disney creations before your very eyes. The doorway formerly offering indoor passage between the Market House and the old crystal shop has also been walled up and given a coat of paint.

The crystal shop on Main Street has a new home in the former Market House next door.

Not having quite enough Disney Dollars to spend on the fantastic glass slipper I had been eyeballing (Ha!!!), I instead turned to Axel again and we had a bit of a chat. Well, it was a sort of chat, with me asking a fair number of questions, and him doing his best to give me answers. We discussed primarily the ongoing changes, as well as the potential projects we may very well see happening on Main Street in the near future. Apparently, the Main Street Bakery will be expanding into the former location of the crystal shop, nearly doubling its previous size and allowing for a greater guest capacity and additional seating. Once this change is complete (I belive Axel said this was expected to be done by mid March???), the new wall between the bakery and Market House will once again be pulled down and opened up into a connecting doorway.

But an expanded bakery is not the only change that you should expect to see on Main Street in the near future. It appears that the King's Gallery, the small store located inside on the first floor of Cinderella Castle, selling primarily Disney art and collectibles, will be departing its regal surroundings and divvying up its loot among other Main Street locales. Expect to see the King's collection of crystal make its way into the new crystal shop in the Market House, which will possibly expand backwards toward the backstage area behind Main Street's east side in order to accomodate this additional merchandise. The rest of the King's Gallery goodies will likely head up the street to other locations, such as the Exposition Hall in Town Square. You can probably expect the castle vacancy to be filled shortly thereafter by what many expect will be something along the lines of the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, which now resides at the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney.

So change is certainly in the air amidst the busy and bustling downtown setting of Main Street, USA, and so far, the new "old" look seems to be promising well. The new window displays look great, the Main Street Bakery will certainly have much more room to accomodate and treat the early morning breakfast and post-Wishes snack rushes, and a royal harido and makeover inside Cinderella Castle will certainly be enough to make any of your little princesses grin like the Cheshire Cat. But just don't go strolling on into the Market House expecting to be able to sit down to a game of checkers anymore. You wont find it there.

However... you can purchase an impressive looking glass chess set if you like.
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 03-18-2007 at 10:36 PM.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Main Street USA is probably one of my favorite sites at WDW. It's what I see in my head when I think of WDW. I hope they don't go too overboard.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    Aww no! I LOVED that telephone, and I just found it, too! Ahh well, at least there is more seating for that delicious bakery!
    Tina

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    This is just awful news. I loved the Market House. It actully seemed like a shop you would find on a small town's Main Street. Remember when Main Street had a ton of individual shops, those were the days. Every year another classic shop disappers for expansion. I am tired of it. The bakery is good but surely there was another way to get more seating.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Thanks for the info Don! I am glad to know I have you scouting things out for me while I am away from "home". I am happy to know they moved the crystal. I always felt like a bull in a china shop when I went in to get a snack. I hope they put some kind of cool secret thing in the Castle. Every time I went in there I felt like I was in a treasure room.

seriouslydw is offline I need a vacation!
    I really liked the Market House store, i'm definately going to miss it
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
    Walt Disney

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestr034 View Post
    This is just awful news. I loved the Market House. It actully seemed like a shop you would find on a small town's Main Street. Remember when Main Street had a ton of individual shops, those were the days. Every year another classic shop disappers for expansion. I am tired of it. The bakery is good but surely there was another way to get more seating.
    My feelings exactly. There was a time when you could spend a few hours going through all the different shops on Main St. when they sold all kinds of things - some Disney themed and some not. Now it seems as though the shops are filled with merchandise you can find almost anywhere in WDW.

I'm also surprised that they walled up the pass through between the stores - that is one of our favorite ways to go down Main St.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    I want to the phone back!!!! I was one of my favorite tricks to pull on friends and family members!!!!!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2 View Post
    I'm also surprised that they walled up the pass through between the stores - that is one of our favorite ways to go down Main St.
    The wall will be removed when work is completed on the bakery side. As for now it's simply a construction barrier. I believe this was expected to be done by Mid march or so, and then we'll have our alternate route back. They want to keep as many routes as possible open to help alleviate the traffic problems they have during parades and fireworks and such.
    -Don-

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    MSUSA is one of my favorite sights to see too...please don't go too overboard!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Dang, I mised the telephone
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

More news from Main Street...

I just got back last night (or was it this morning?) from my spring break trip to WDW, and I'd like to throw in another little update on the Main Street refurbing. I was at MK on Tuesday (03/20/3007), and by that point the temporary construction wall in the bakery was still up and looked just as it did a few weeks ago. However, I returned to MK yesterday to see that not only was work completed in the bakery and the temporary construction wall had been removed, but the doorway between the newly expanded bakery seating area and the Market House was once again openened back up, meaning traffic can once more move between the two shops without having to step back outside. It looks good too!
    -Don-