Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Man Jailed After Fight at AK in the News & Rumors forums; From WESH.com: Man Jailed After Fight At Disney's Animal Kingdom POSTED: 6:05 am EST March 1, 2007 UPDATED: 7:56 am EST March 1, 2007 LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- An ...
    Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Exclamation Man Jailed After Fight at AK

From WESH.com:
    Man Jailed After Fight At Disney's Animal Kingdom

POSTED: 6:05 am EST March 1, 2007
    UPDATED: 7:56 am EST March 1, 2007

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- An independent contractor who was hired to clean out ponds at Disney's Animal Kingdom was booked into the Orange County Jail on Thursday following a bizarre incident inside the park.

Stephen Kim, 35, of Melbourne, was accused of dousing a co-worker with gasoline and threatening to set him on fire, WESH 2 News reported.

Investigators said Kim then chased the co-worker around with a shovel.

The intended victim was identified as Brandon Hoffman. Authorities said Hoffman managed to escape and called 911.

When deputies and Disney security arrived, Kim was arrested. There's no word on what sparked the argument.

Both men are employed by Encore Underwater Services, which contracts with Disney to clean the ponds.

Source URL: http://www.wesh.com/news/11142008/detail.html

Follow-up from Orlanod Sentinel

Worker tosses gas in fight at Disney hippo pond

Employee of contractor charged with aggravated assault

April Hunt
    Sentinel Staff Writer

March 1, 2007, 6:53 AM EST

A tussle between two workers in the hippo pond at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom overnight ended with one man doused in gasoline and other in jail, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The two men, employees of a Disney contractor, got into some argument while cleaning the pond at about 3 a.m.

One of the workers, Stephen Kim, threw gas on the other man and struck a lighter at a distance, said Sheriff's Commander Lester Allen. The victim, who was not identified, backed away, prompting Kim to drop the lighter and pick up a shovel.

The victim fled and called the sheriff's department for help. He was not injured.

Kim, 34, of Melbourne, was booked into Orange County Jail, on an aggravated assault charge.

Source URL: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...home-headlines

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    That's crazy! I'm glad they arrested the guy, I would have been terrified if someone tossed gas on me and then struck a match...

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

aeronautxearth is offline Meeska, Mouska, Mickey Mouse!
    I'm sorry, but the scene of this in my head- in a hippo poind, none the less, is probably the funniest thing I've heard this week.

I'm glad no one got seriously injured.
    Tina

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Evidently the unions that represent workers at WDW have taken an interest in this altercation. It seems that this incident was something they predicted would happen when Disney began outsourcing jobs to outside contractors.

I'm not exactly what you would call pro-union, but I do agree with them being upset about all the jobs that are being outsourced to non-Disney employees. There was a time when doing things the cheapest way possible was not how Disney parks were run.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

My thoughts exactly, wdw4us2.
    Now I understand that this is an isolated incident and could've happened to anyone. But these are not Disney-trained cast members. I believe that Disney's background checks and Traditions training program would have been enough of a deterrent to prevent this from happening. I'm not exactly pro-union either but this incident is a good example of what happens when you start bringing in contractors to do the job of Disney cast members.

That's my opinion anyways.

SaraHThunderRR is offline A-Ticket holder
    craziness.
    A dream is a wish your heart makes.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Dosed in gas and threatened with a lighter? Mr. Kim is lucky he wasn't charged with attempted murder.

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape View Post
    Dosed in gas and threatened with a lighter? Mr. Kim is lucky he wasn't charged with attempted murder.

My thoughts exactly. Ok, it sounds like a funny story cos no-one was hurt, but it could have been far more serious.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    Ok that guy has to be a little crazy
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    wow! what a weird o
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

On a funny note: if he would've been lite he could've jumped in with the hippos to put it out. I think Tigger put him up to it

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    ...He also put the lives of many animals in danger...Animal Kingdon + Fire started by a lunatic = craziness

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Any update on this story?
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

Contractor doused with gas at Disney
    A 3 a.m. dispute at Animal Kingdom's hippo pond spurs union charges about outsourcing jobs.

April Hunt and Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writers
    Posted March 2, 2007

A tussle about a card game between two workers in the hippo pond at Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom early Thursday ended with one man doused in gasoline and the other in jail, according to the Orange County Sheriff's Office.

The two men, employees of a Disney contractor, got into an argument while cleaning the pond at about 3 a.m., the police report states. One worker, Brandon Hoffman, 22, accused the other of cheating in a card game about two weeks ago.

The man whom he accused, Stephen Kim, poured gasoline on Hoffman and struck a lighter at a distance, said sheriff's Cmdr. Lester Allen said. Hoffman backed away, but then Kim dropped the lighter and picked up a shovel, holding it like a baseball bat and threatening Hoffman with it, according to the police report.

Hoffman fled and called deputies for help. He was not injured.

Kim, 34, of Melbourne, was arrested on a charge of aggravated assault. He was released from the Orange County Jail with $2,500 bail.

Both men work for a specialized contractor, which provides divers to clean out ponds throughout the park, Disney World spokeswoman Kim Prunty said. The company, which was not named, has worked for Disney for "many years," she added.

Disney officials have suspended the contractor's work, pending a review of the incident.

"Obviously, this type of behavior is not tolerated on our property," Prunty said. "We expect that they will take care of this matter appropriately."

On Thursday, a union official who represents some Disney World employees was quick to point out that the Animal Kingdom incident could be an example of why the unions are challenging Disney World's recent efforts to turn over cleaning, and other jobs, to outside contractors.

In recent months, in federal unfair-labor-practice complaints and in public protests, unions have charged that the company's outsourcing efforts risk eroding worker quality at Disney World. The issue is a major negotiating point in the talks for a new contract for the 21,000-member Service Trades Council Union. The outside contractors usually are non-union companies.

"This is an example of the kind of problem that Walt Disney World opens itself up to when it doesn't hire and train and supervise its own employees, but rather outsources work to outside vendors who may not have the same kind of commitment," council president Morty Miller said.

Prunty said the incident was not related to any outsourcing for cost savings. The job was given to contractors because of the specialized nature of the work -- cleaning underwater.

"These guys are industrial divers. It wouldn't make sense for us to do this kind of work," she said.

Disney World has argued that it needs to contract work in some areas for efficiency. The company also said it insists that such outside contractors follow the same rules and standards for hiring and supervision that Disney maintains for its employees.

Willoughby Mariano of the Sentinel staff contributed to this report. April Hunt can be reached at ahunt@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-6269. Scott Powers can be reached at 407-420-5441 or spowers@orlandosentinel.com.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast