Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Winners say 'no thanks' sometimes in the News & Rumors forums; From the OrlandoSentinel.com: Winners say 'no thanks' sometimes Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer Posted February 28, 2007 For some visitors, Walt Disney World's "Year of a Million Dreams" giveaway ...
    Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Lightbulb Winners say 'no thanks' sometimes

From the OrlandoSentinel.com:

Winners say 'no thanks' sometimes

Beth Kassab | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted February 28, 2007

For some visitors, Walt Disney World's "Year of a Million Dreams" giveaway is a reason for a million excuses.

The yearlong campaign bestows randomly selected guests at the resort with prizes such as a night in Cinderella Castle, but some folks say "no thanks."

"Sometimes, believe it or not, which I can't understand, people say, 'Nah, I'm leaving tomorrow or I don't want to move my stuff . . .' " said Disney Parks and Resorts Chairman Jay Rasulo. "We have had some guests for whatever reason say that they couldn't do it, so we go to the next person."

Rasulo said he doesn't know exactly how many people have turned down the prizes that range from a stay fit for a princess in the castle to much smaller giveaways such as free popcorn or a pass to the front of thrill ride lines, but "it does happen."

While giving up a night in the castle may be unfathomable to parents of young princess wannabes, Disney has a backup plan for when it happens.

Another winner is simply selected at random.

"It's the most complicated, complex mathematical system you can imagine," Rasulo said of the process developed for Disney by an outside firm.

Each day the system pinpoints an exact location -- such as the seventh person to exit a specific show at the Magic Kingdom -- and whoever is at the right place at the right time wins the prize.

The campaign started last year with more than 1 million prizes, some worth tens of thousands of dollars apiece, such as time-share contracts and trips halfway around the world.

On average, 1,700 to 3,000 prizes big and small are given out on a daily basis, said Disney spokesman Jacob DiPietre.

Beth Kassab can be reached at bkassab@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5448.

Source URL: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...tory?track=rss

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    If I got picked to stay in the castle I would change my flight sleep on the streets the rest of the trip. I guess I would do just about anything to stay in there.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    No kidding....who says "I don't wanna move my stuff?" I bet Disney would be happy to move it for you...I could MAYBE understand turning down a big prize (ie night in the castle, the trip around the world, etc.) due to certain circumstances but why would you turn down free popcorn or a free fastpass?

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Actually, I can sorta see why someone would turn down some of the prizes for a variety of reasons. Now before you all look at me like I'm nuts (hush up peanut gallery!), my DH and I were once in a position for something I would call an uncommon opportunity in WDW.

I wrote about my experiences, and posted a report on DWT regarding it. So if you want specifics, you can search for it. Anyhow...one hot and very humid Memorial Day in the AK, we were approached to be in the parade. My DH immediately turned it down because he was under the wrong impression of what it would entail for us. After talking with the CM some more and finding out more info, we were able to convince him to be in Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade.

So, I'm wondering if some of these people who are turning down prizes either are just not interested in them and/or can only see the "inconvenient" factor for them instead of the opportunity it can be.

Regardless, the "runners up" are getting a chance to accept those prizes.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I would have no choice but to decline a night in Cinderella's Castle. I'm a local and an annual passholder, so when we go to Disney it is for a day trip. We have a sick pet at home that needs medicine every 8 hours. In that particular case, it's a no-brainer -- although I would probably feel a little cheated if I wasn't offered something else (even something small) instead.

I could also understand not wanting to change travel plans -- people have to work.

I do agree that it would seem odd to turn down a prize like that because you don't want to move your stuff. In all likelihood, such people probably just don't appreciate the magnitude of the prize they've been offered.

Tony

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I would shave my head like Britney Spears to stay at the castle.....
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    I would walk home LOL
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestr034 View Post
    If I got picked to stay in the castle I would change my flight sleep on the streets the rest of the trip. I guess I would do just about anything to stay in there.
    ME TOO!
    They call me "Nana"

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove View Post
    I would shave my head like Britney Spears to stay at the castle.....
    Let me know so I can take a pic or two!
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by fungus_01 View Post
    No kidding....who says "I don't wanna move my stuff?" I bet Disney would be happy to move it for you...
    They moved our stuff from one room to another at ASM so I'm guessing that would not be an issue.

When my mom and I were there in October we watched a family turn down lunch in the castle. After they walked away I said to them "do you realize that you just gave away a $500 prize? (there was like 8 of them)" and the grandpa said "it's not free. there has to be a catch to it" and I'm like "NO! it's free. this is what they are doing". He didn't believe me. I was almost begging people to give me something and then there are all these idiots that don't want them.

Maybe I should go back and try again. seriouslydw can I stay with you???

Lori

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

seriouslydw is offline I need a vacation!
    staying with me, huh??
    "There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island."
    Walt Disney

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Unless you KNOW about YOMD, you probably don't get the whole concept. We are reminded everyday in the real world that NOTHING is free...there is always a catch. Just goes to show you, that no matter where you go on vacation...you should do your homework before you leave and KNOW what your vacation spot has to offer.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    I would sell my own childern to stay at the castle LOL. I just think these people have no idea about this years celebration so that why they are turning it down.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

DISNEY~PRINCESS is offline A-Ticket holder
    CRAZY......I don't have any little kids and I would never give up that opportunity to stay in Cindy's castle! It's a once in a lifetime happening!
    ME DH DD 20 DD 13

3/13/07 - OFF TO NEVERLAND!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast