Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Song of the South to Return??? in the News & Rumors forums; ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- Walt Disney Co.'s 1946 film "Song of the South" was historic. It was Disney's first big live-action picture and produced one of the company's most famous ...
    SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder

Song of the South to Return???

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- Walt Disney Co.'s 1946 film "Song of the South" was historic. It was Disney's first big live-action picture and produced one of the company's most famous songs -- the Oscar-winning "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah." It also provided the inspiration for the Splash Mountain rides at Disney's theme parks.
    But the movie remains hidden in the Disney archives -- never released on video in the United States and criticized as racist for its depiction of Southern plantation blacks. The film's 60th anniversary passed last year without a whisper of official rerelease, which is unusual for Disney, but President and CEO Bob Iger recently said the company was reconsidering.
    The film's reissue would surely spark debate, but it could also sell big. Nearly 115,000 people have signed an online petition urging Disney to make the movie available, and out-of-print international copies routinely sell online for $50 to $90, some even more than $100.
    Iger was answering a shareholder's inquiry about the movie for the second straight year at Disney's annual meeting in New Orleans. This month the Disney chief made a rerelease sound more possible.
    "The question of 'Song of the South' comes up periodically, in fact it was raised at last year's annual meeting," Iger said. "And since that time, we've decided to take a look at it again because we've had numerous requests about bringing it out. Our concern was that a film that was made so many decades ago being brought out today perhaps could be either misinterpreted or that it would be somewhat challenging in terms of providing the appropriate context."

(full article)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Movi....ap/index.html
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Yea i saw that article on yahoo yesterday. I hope they release it on DVD. I have a bootlegged copy with subtitiles on it and would love to get the real deal copy with extras and some backstory.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I would love to have a copy of it too! What a great story about a bond that develops between a grandfatherly man and a young boy who is going through a particularly difficult time in his life. The fact that they are of different races only goes to show you that you never know who is going to be an important person in your life and never base a friendship by what's on the outside.

I am sensitive to the feelings of people who may be offended by the African American characters portrayed in the story, but it's also a good way to open up a dialogue with your children about how things have changed so greatly between that time and now. The movie is no worse than Gone With The Wind and yet that is aired on cable stations at least once or twice a month. AMC for example.

It would be nice if Disney released it for sale on DVD. There doesn't need to be a big splashy hooopla about it. Just simply put it up for sale for those who want to see it again.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

I saw that in the newspaper!
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    i would love to see this i love zip a dee do dah and i have always wanted to see the movie i hope it does come out!!!!!
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    I won't hold my breath. I sooo want this to come out but I know someone will make a big stink about a harmless cartoon movie.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

i just saw an ad on this site that said, "Song of the south! $11.99"nor something like that
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder
    Yes, I've posted some info on this in the Movies forum here. Check it out.

Belle1313 is offline When I Wish Upon A Star, I Wish To Go To WDW
    I never saw the movie and I think if I saw it, Splash Mountain would be so much more fun even thought it is already one of my favorite rides. I hope they release it soon!

Okay let me just say this about the film. Being an African American myself I have to say that there are somethings in the movie I do take offense to but it doesn't bother me to the point that I dont want the picture to ever see the light of day again. I love the film and I think it needs to be release. I just think that people have to understand two things yes 1. there are going to be a lot of people who are going to take this as a raciest film and 2. then there are others such as myself will yes find a few thing uncomfortable about it but not enough to make a stink. I really hope Disney gets the courage to just release the dang thing. Maybe it wont cause that big of uproar as they may think and maybe it can teach us to get along with others regardless of what the persons outsides look like.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Agreed Jerrame. As far as a re-release, I'm not holding my breath. Although you really have to wonder just what Disney was thinking when they decided to design an E-Ticket attraction around the animated aspects of a film they are ashamed to release in the US.

Also, we have to remember the time the original stories were written, whom they we written by, and the time period this film was produced by Disney. Comparatively, I find Song of the South a tad less offensive racially compared to more popular celebrated films made during the Golden Age of Hollywood surrounding the Antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction periods of the American South. I'm a student of history. Ignoring it did happen and/or downplaying its role defeats the purpose of learning from it.
    Last edited by MandaBella; 04-09-2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: grammar
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Agreed Jerrame. As far as a re-release, I'm not holding my breath. Although you really have to wonder just what Disney was thinking when they decided to design an E-Ticket attraction around the animated aspects of a film they are ashamed to release in the US.

Also, we have to remember the time the original stories were written, whom they we written by, and the time period this film was produced by Disney. Comparatively, I find Song of the South a tad less offensive racially compared to more popular celebrated films made during the Golden Age of Hollywood surrounding the Antebellum, Civil War, and Reconstruction periods of the American South. I'm a student of history. Ignoring it didn't happen and/or downplaying its role defeats the purpose of learning from it.

Your so right Amanda that was such a different time period and place that I myself can't begin to underdstand. Like I said I have seen this movie several times and regardless of how the Black actors were portray it didn't make me say omg they should lock this up forever and never show it again. I also agreed to as how you build a ride and not just any ride a very popular ride around a film that you are so afraid to release. What they dont think that the charcaters in the ride dont piss, some people off because if you listen to the audio through the whole ride at the characters they are speaking broken english and sounding so back woodsy it not even funny. I just say release it so my children can enjoy a classic because I know they are not going to even care about the live action they are only going to care about the cartoon part. Yes your right about old Hollywood if they ban this one there are a million others that should never see the light of day either if it that dang serious.Sorry I love this movie so much it just sparks stuff in me that burns me up about Disney sometimes.

gymrat5 is offline Penny Hardaway 1 cent
    where is this petition.... we all need to sign it... please bring back a disney classic
    ~Gym

*DISNEYLAND PASSHOLDER since 1999, attending regularly since 1987*

WDW TRIPS
    '94 - July, off-site
    '96 - August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '98 - May, For Odyssey of the Mind World Finals: All-Star Sports
    '98 - July/August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '00 - July/August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)
    '05 - August, Orange Lake Country Club (off-site)

*An Orange Lake Country Owner (a RCI timeshare resort)

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I think they would be better off remaking the film and making Brer Rabbit more of a main character. I have the Euro edition and I have to admit, it's a little boring. I like it because it's Disney of course, but will the general public?
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com