Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Intersting News Released From Disney in the News & Rumors forums; Disney opens weddings to gay couples -- LOS ANGELES - Same-*** couples who want to exchange vows in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance. The Walt Disney Co. ...
    Summer Sun is offline Wishing a certain someone would take me to Neverland

Intersting News Released From Disney

Disney opens weddings to gay couples --

LOS ANGELES - Same-*** couples who want to exchange vows in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance. The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks available to gay couples as well.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070406/...ey_gay_wedding
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years
    Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom

Deviant is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Fantastic news for... no, no, wait... no, this doesn't apply to me at all.

Disclaimer: This post is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Disney World Trivia, Walt Disney World or the Walt Disney Company.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    That's interesting, because in my Disney Wedding Contract I signed, it had a HUGE section on the Marriage lisence, and how if I don't get it in before the wedding, my wedding WILL be cancelled, yada yada yada, i wonder what THAT contract looks like...
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    wow - this is so refreshing!

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant View Post
    Fantastic news for... no, no, wait... no, this doesn't apply to me at all.
    sure....
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

is this a good thing..? all the kids are gonna go like, "mommy!! look there is two boys kissing!! eww!"
    Adrien

Your 14 year old disney expert!

If I go crazy, will you still call me superman?

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    not necessarily. All types of relationships can be seen everyday in our society. In fact, kids have a higher chance of seeing something much more explicit on TV, regardless of the sexual orientations of the persons involved.

I think that it is a very liberal approach that Disney takes, accepting everyone that would like to live the fairy tale.
    The Goofy Princess

weddings don't take place during park hours (except for the televised wedding special for the year of a million dreams) and two boys can kiss anytime anyway...and Florida doesn't recognize gay marriage so gay couples cannot get a marriage licenses...so that leads to two people that love eachother, expressing their love in front of family and friends at the most magical location in the world and then having some pixie dust added to all the excitment. it doesn't seem like it's a bad thing...anyway,

here is the whole article...

By GARY GENTILE, Associated Press Writer Fri Apr 6, 5:32 PM ET

LOS ANGELES - Same-*** couples who want to exchange vows in front of Cinderella's Castle now have the chance.

The Walt Disney Co. had limited its Fairy Tale Wedding program to couples with valid marriage licenses, but it is now making ceremonies at its parks available to gay couples as well.

"We believe this change is consistent with Disney's long-standing policy of welcoming every guest in an inclusive environment," Disney Parks and Resorts spokesman Donn Walker said Friday. "We want everyone who comes to celebrate a special occasion at Disney to feel welcome and respected."
    The company said it made the change after being contacted by a gay couple who wanted to use the wedding service, which offers ceremonies at Disneyland in California, Walt Disney World Resort in Florida and Disney's cruise ships.

The service offers flowers, dining, music and many optional Disney touches, from ceremonies in front of the parks' iconic attractions to having Mickey and Minnie Mouse in formal wear as guests. The packages start at $8,000 and can cost more than $45,000.

Groups not affiliated with Disney have held annual "gay days" celebrations at Disney parks for years. Company officials have taken a tolerant attitude to the weekend, allowing party promoters to rent out parks after hours and rebuffing religious groups that condemned Disney.

In 2005, Southern Baptists ended an eight-year boycott of the Walt Disney Co. for violating "moral righteousness and traditional family values."
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years

Okay it makes me feel better that the packages start at 8,000. mine was 3,900.
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

lolol...so how nice is your consultant? ^^^
    Walt Disney World
    Where Dreams Come True
    Celebrating 35 Years

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    If I remember correctly, Disney has for a long time provided benefits like health insurance to life partners when one of them works for Disney and the other doesn't.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

Quote Originally Posted by dznyfreak42 View Post
    is this a good thing..? all the kids are gonna go like, "mommy!! look there is two boys kissing!! eww!"

Why do you assume that it would have to be two boys kissing? It could be two girls kissing. IMHO...I don't want to see any couples kissing-kissing while in the parks whether straight or gay!

I had read this same article earlier in the day and I say....more power to Disney! People cannot change who they are or who they fall in love with, life is hard enough as it is. Go ahead and let certain groups boycott Disney for "moral righteousness and traditional family values", that just means more Dole Whips and shorter lines for the rest of us!!!!

I still can't help but wonder if Walt is rolling in his grave - especially with his history of refusing long-haired hippies entry into DisneyLand. Oh well - change is inevitable. Not ALL change is good ... but as long as it doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment of my parks...

I doubt any Disney franchise has ever suffered economically from a boycott - the parks are always crowded when I'm there!

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Yeah I heard this on the TV last night...
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Sun View Post
    lolol...so how nice is your consultant? ^^^
    I haven't met my actual "consultant" yet that will be there on my wedding day. I have talked to my booking agent NUMEROUS times on the phone who is also a wedding consultant, but someone always books your wedding and then they pass you off to someone else! But my booker was absolutely amazing! I loved her to pieces, and I amused her since I was very fast and prompt on everything I had to do. (Seriously, do people wait when you only have 3 days to do something or you could lose your spot?)

If its the same consultant that I was assigned to in December to ask questions, she sounded like she would be very organized very detailed and a no-nonsense sorta person. I loved her! She was also friendly, but we shall see who calls my cell phone over the next couple weeks!
    - Jeanne

Aulani - September 2011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast