Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Finger scanners at Disney: Just what are they scanning? in the News & Rumors forums; From The Mike Thomas Blog at the Orlando Sentinel.com: ================================================= Finger scanners at Disney: Just what are they scanning? Posted on May 22, 2007 1:28:34 PM YOu know, I never ...
    Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Post Finger scanners at Disney: Just what are they scanning?

From The Mike Thomas Blog at the Orlando Sentinel.com:
    =================================================
    Finger scanners at Disney: Just what are they scanning?

Posted on May 22, 2007 1:28:34 PM

YOu know, I never thought about it until this letter..

Dear Mike,
    What do you think about having to place your finger on the scanner to enter the parks? The employees at the gate tell you it's for security reasons, but I feel it is an invasion of our privacy as it is our most personal source of identification. My husband and I show our driver's licence, and after a heated verbal struggle they finally let us in and our two girls.(interesting since they don't have ID). I'm not trying to be paranoid, however I'm not sure what data base our prints go to and who has access to them. The other scary thing is that the majority of people don't even question this request for their fingerprint. I thought you had to be arrested or work in jobs that require a fingerprint on file, not to ride Spiderman or walk through the Swiss Family Robinson's really cool house.

Here is what I found:
    =================================================

Full blog (and lots of comments, including mine) here: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new....html#comments
    Check out my blog or MySpace.

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Very cool article i aways wondered what the finger scans were for.

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    People are so paranoid. I love the comment that says, "I would NEVER trust Disney with their track record.
    If you knew the records they keep on file of customers and employees(and there is a ton) you would NEVER, EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT GIVING DISNEY YOUR FINGER PRINTS!" Imagine a company keeping records on their employees! The nerve!
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

liljam is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Lol! I love the comment about searching for a genetic match for Walt for when they unfreeze him! What a great conspiracy theory on the print sensor!

No, Seriously though, I don't mind them doing it at all. It's not a big deal because I have nothing to hide...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - Leslee

Saratoga Springs is my home away from home! Proud DVC Member 5-10-07

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    I don't see what the big deal is about this. They scan points on your finger. and it goes away after the ticket expires. and if those people who posted over there have nothing to hide, then why bother complaining?
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Mine only works about half the time with my annual pass and after two tries they just waive me in... no id or anything.

eyeinthesky is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Spiderman???
    Creator, The Best of Walt Disney World
    www.bestwdw.com

Hiddenmickeyboy is offline Fastpass Holder
    How about that they scan your fingerprints and get your name and such and compare it to the i.d. or ticket to make sure its really you?
    999,999 score on BLSRS! Galactic Hero!

I love working in the Theme Park Industry!

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    Admit they are scanning our fingerprints to create a DNA data base for the "Perfect Guest Program" In effect the Disney Corproatuion is using DNA from multiple sources to engineer a perfect guest to test new ideas, attarctions amrketing ect on...Along with keeping JFK, Elvis and Stitch in a genetics lab
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

jasong618 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    truthfully I think that people that are worried about their finger prints being scanned have every right to be. regardless of any privacy policy it is just one more personal peice of information that can be leaked. Regardless of it being leaked the government then has access to that information if they want it.

Show identification.

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by jasong618 View Post
    truthfully I think that people that are worried about their finger prints being scanned have every right to be. regardless of any privacy policy it is just one more personal peice of information that can be leaked. Regardless of it being leaked the government then has access to that information if they want it.

Show identification.
    But they're NOT scanning fingerprints. It's biometrics...two very different things.
    Check out my blog or MySpace.

britney05 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    its so rediculous because how long does it take to stick your fingers in and take it out and enter the park? 5 seconds? seriously people, its no big deal...

jasong618 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    obviously if its just the biometrix scanning of the measurments of your fingers than thats no big deal. However if they are scanning your fingerprint and storing it in a database that is a very big deal. I thought they were going to start using finger prints? if not then I am mistaken. I know that last time i was there they had some new biometix stuff that i thought was scanning prints as well.

This is a HUGE personal identity issue. Regardless of wether its Disney or not, there is the potential for information to be stolen.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder

They don't have your fingerprints!

They are not capturing your fingerprint. DIsney doesn't have a secret file of fingerprints.

The scanner takes measurements of the distances between several features of your fingerprint, and from that uses an algorithm to develop a number. THAT is what your finger on the scanner produces, a number.

This is not a unique number. Fingerprints are unique, one of a kind. But the numbers produced by the algorithm are not unique numbers. About 1 in 1,000 people would produce the same number. That means if you are American, there are approximately 300,000 other Americans whose finger would produce the same number after being measured and sent through that algorithm.

This wouldn't be enough proof to stand up in court, let alone identify you as an individual.

But 1 in 1,000 is close enough for Disney's purposes. The purpose of the biometric scan is to prevent sharing or selling or partially-used multi-day tickets. If you go on eBay and buy a 10-day WDW pass that has 6 days left on it, you won't be permitted admission to the park, because your "number" won't match the original user's number. Once used, Disney admission media are non-transferable.

When you first use a ticket, you put your finger tip over the scanner. The number that that scan produces is now "attached" to your ticket (it's called the Ticket Tag system). Each subsequent time that same ticket is put through a turnstile, the user must put the finger tip on the scanner. If the "number" produced by that finger scan matches the number that was acquired at the first use of the ticket, then the user is permitted admission.

So you can see how 1 in 1,000 is just fine for Disney's purposes. What are the odds that a partially-used ticket you buy has the same "number" attached to it as your own fingerprint would produce? Well, actually, it's about 1 in 1,000 ....
    -- Eric

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I was hoping they were looking for an awesome finger shape that they wanted to use for their next animatronic and that they would find my finger to be THE exact, perfect model. I guess I'll have to continue to look for that legal event that will give me my 10 minutes of fame.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast