Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Accident on Kali River Rapids in DAK in the News & Rumors forums; http://www.wesh.com/news/13405578/detail.html Six people were hurt Tuesday morning while riding an attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom. It happened around 10:30 a.m. on the Kali River Rapids ride, WESH 2 News reported. ...
    SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder

Unhappy Accident on Kali River Rapids in DAK

http://www.wesh.com/news/13405578/detail.html

Six people were hurt Tuesday morning while riding an attraction at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

It happened around 10:30 a.m. on the Kali River Rapids ride, WESH 2 News reported.

Authorities said all of the injuries were minor.

Officials with the Reedy Creek Fire Department said it's not known if the ride flipped or listed severely.

Five of the victims were transported to Florida Hospital-Celebration Health and one was transported to Dr. Phillips Hospital.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

fungus_01 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Hmm...wonder what exactly happened? That article isn't very clear....

*2006 Off site*2007 Pop*2008 Off site*2009 Pop/POR*2010 June Pop*Oct Pop*Dec Pop*2011 Dec CB Pirate Room*2012 Nov Disney Dream*Dec Pop*2013 Feb Pop*March The Swan*​Dec Pop*2014 Oct Disney Fantasy

There is more info at wdwinfo.com, but I didn't really want to post it as I didn't really want to post unsubstantiated news. But to shed light on it's possible cause, here's the text.

Accident at Animal Kingdom
    May 29, 2007

Email this article
    Printer friendly page
    WDWINFO.COM - (5/29 - 2pm) According to officials at Disney, 6 guests were sent to the hospital with minor injury after an accident on Kali River Rapids at Disney's Animal Kingdom.

According to unconfirmed reports, a piece of equipment being used by workers on a bridge over the ride collapsed, and either struck a raft or caused a raft to list, causing injury to those on board. Several ambulances and emergency personnel were on the scene, and the 5 injured were taken to area hospitals.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/news/article_001492.htm

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting something completely different, so who knows? I just hope the five people who were hurt on the ride are mending and feeling well.
    Last edited by SamIAm717; 05-29-2007 at 03:38 PM.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I heard about this earlier today, but (as many people are want to do, although I won't name names LOL), it was blown out of proportion (people said the river was "red with blood". jeez.. sorry, but these kinds of things get me aggravated)

What I have learned is that the story about the emergency evac system ramp is what failed, and NOT any construction equipment falling onto Guests.

(think about it - you think Disney would allow construction work to go on in or around a guest area? I think not...)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Exactly Lou, which is why I was a little hesitant to publish that wdwinfo post. The hyperbole was really going gangbusters over on another message board. It was blown waay out of proportion very quickly.

I am very happy that the injuries were minor and I'm hoping those folks affected will be able to enjoy the rest of their time at WDW.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    i agree sam i am.. i hope they are doing well and get to enjoy the rest of their trip
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

I just saw this on our local news.

spaceshipclover is offline A-Ticket holder
    Firsthand- the locks on the evacuation platform failed whie guests were being exited from the rafts on the ramp the carries the rafts up. the platform slid down from about halfway up the ramp and crashed at the bottom. No one was seriously injured, all cuts, bruises and maybe some strains or sprains, but not even a broken bone. Everyone was very lucky considering the platform weighs about 200lbs.

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    Still, emergency evac equipment failing, that's not such a great thing.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Let me clarify my last post - I'm SO sorry - i didn't mean to insinuate that it was SamIAm who's comment I was speaking about. I had seen this on a number of other places and didn't like how people were trying to make it seem worse than it was. Disney is such an easy target and I hate seeing some folks taking pot shots whenever available.

My apologies to SamIAM717 and anyone else who may have mistaken the intent of my post
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Thanks Lou. I appreciate your clarification and I was concerned about the over-sensationalizing of this incident as well. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that whole "water running red" statement to be way over the top! Wow, things do get out of hand out there in the message board world. I surely didn't want you and other DWT forum members to think that I was running with that story. As a DWT member, I think we all have a far better handle on how things work at WDW. You're right, surely WDW would never be doing any type of construction in an area where guests are boarding and exiting an attraction.

No worries!

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    Well, I hope those people who were hurt or in that raft or whatever are "A-okay" and enjoying the rest of their stay at Walt Disney World.
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Hopefully, Disney is giving them the royal treatment for the rest of their stays.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    WOW! that really stinks
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I hope every one is ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast