Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Beaten & Robbed at Disney! in the News & Rumors forums; Disney Tourists Abducted, Beaten After Stopping To Give Directions - Local News Story - WKMG Orlando I heard this on my local news, so anyone going to Disney. Be careful ...
    #1EeyoreFan is offline I love Eeyore! Disney Forever, and ever and ever etc.

Beaten & Robbed at Disney!

Disney Tourists Abducted, Beaten After Stopping To Give Directions - Local News Story - WKMG Orlando

I heard this on my local news, so anyone going to Disney. Be careful in the parking lots!
    DISNEY IS MY HAPPY PLACE THE ONLY TIME THAT I GET 2WKS OF HAPPINESS AND WORRY FREE TIME!!!!!! This time I will see it through the eyes of my baby girl born 2008.

Next Trip is December 2010

Can't wait!!!!!!

Jul- 85 - Poly- 1st Time ever Nov - 97 - Best Western
    Nov- 98- travel Lodge Nov- 99 - Music - Family Trip
    Oct- 00 - Music Nov- 01 - Movies
    Oct-02- Movies Dec- 03 - Movies
    Oct-04- Pop - Married Dec- 05- Pop
    Dec-06 - Pop Nov- 07- Pop

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    my god that awful!!

last yr was my first time so of course i asked people questions all the time!

this is awful!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    that's all over the news in central florida. The DTD parking lot is one of the most heavily patroled area with police cars because of the fact that its Disney and they want it to be safe! However, luckily no one was seriously hurt.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

disneydarling is offline ...and the mome raths outgrabe
    Terrible - i hope they catch those awful men
    Sisterhood of the traveling pirate in the pants: charter member

A friend will help you mend a broken heart; a best friend will get a shovel and help you dig the hole.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Probably a bunch of crackheads who will do anything anywhere to get that drug money.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

More on this and other recent incidents from the Orlando Sentinel:
    ================================================== =
    Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney

Couple taken at gunpoint, was left near Osceola landfill after struggle.

Etan Horowitz | Sentinel Staff Writers
    Posted June 10, 2007, 8:09 PM EDT

Two young tourists from Connecticut were finishing up the first day of their Walt Disney World vacation just after midnight on Sunday when a man in a black car called out to them.

Thinking they were just answering an innocuous question, the couple walked over to the car in the Downtown Disney parking lot.

That is when their vacation turned violent.

================================================== =
    Full story here: Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney - Orlando Sentinel : Osceola County News Two tourists abducted, robbed after leaving Downtown Disney - Orlando Sentinel : Osceola County News
    Check out my blog or MySpace.

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I wonder if the crimes they list in the article are related? It seems to be quite a spree going on there. Just awful!

The last quote in the article says it all though. Even in Disney, you have to be on your guard and careful about being approached by strangers or even acknowledging them in that type of situation.

I'm so glad nothing more happened to those two young people.
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Gosh... my girlfriend and I were out and about DIsney when this happened. And we're from Connecticut (ironic, no?). Fortunately, shortly after midnight, we were on our way back to EPCOT to pick up my car which I had left parked there, and then we headed straight back to our hotel and did NOT stop by DtD. Sheesh... crazy stuff goes on everywhere. It seems that there is no such thing as a safe place anymore. I hope the injuries don't cause them much grief, and that they get their money back and can have fun on the remainder of their vacation. I'd hate to see someone's trip cut short by something like that.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I know this is a weird question, but does vacation insurance cover theft? If so, hopefully they purchased it so they can at least get their money back. I guess it's time to step up the security and make the presence known so people don't feel comfortable doing this sort of thing anymore. It seems like people are starting to realize that there are all these trusting tourists with all kinds of money at WDW. Also, I would really recommend programming the number for WDW Security into your cell phone for your trip in case you see anything suspicious going on.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    This is rather scary since I spent a lot of time wondering around WDW on my own during my last trip. It wasn't as late at night except when I was leaving Magic Kingdom. Since the robbers had a hand gun, the victims may have been spared from even more injuries. I guess this is definitely a reminder that you have to follow the same safety rules while on vacation as you do in your own community; keep your distance from strangers when approached for directions.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Im shocked that this happened.

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    They must have had some problems lately in the parking lots as we noticed new security moveable towers located in the parking lots at Downtown Disney and one of the waterparks in May during our trip. These were new since we had been there last October.
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    I'm a bit annoyed with the media once again; at least in regards to the first article linked up top--righteously declaring to one and all that this incident occurred at "Walt Disney World;" mentioning not a word that this was in the lot of the Downtown Disney area, where any schmuck with a car can park free of charge and no questions asked. Disney property or not, the DTD area is just as dangerous as any place else out there. Maybe even a little more so, as hgraber suggested, when it comes to tourists with their collective guards down.

Very much in agreement with the sentiment that this couple was, for want of a better word, lucky--violent crime is definitely on the rise these days (the murder rate in Orlando right now is the highest it's been in 24 years).

Let's be careful out there.

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    It's upsetting but true that you shouldn't really feel any safer on Disney property than anywhere else. I know we would all like to think that we can "leave our troubles at the door" when we step on Disney property, but it's not like that in real life. The only thing Disney could do would be to provide more security.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

Zipadeedooda is offline Fastpass Holder
    My mom told me about this just today. It's so saddening that even in WDW tragic things like that can occur. I'm glad the couple are okay though!
    Noah

Where Magic Lives

"its a glorious three hour finale I call A Tribute to all Nations but Mostly AMERICA!"

"Now approaching Tomorrowland's Space Mountain"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast