Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss EXXON pulls sponsorship in the News & Rumors forums; Epcot pavilion sponsorship runs out of gas Epcot's Universe of Energy pavilion hits visitors with a not-so-subtle message: Fossil fuels are fantastic, while renewable sources such as solar, wind and ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin

EXXON pulls sponsorship

Epcot pavilion sponsorship runs out of gas

Epcot's Universe of Energy pavilion hits visitors with a not-so-subtle message: Fossil fuels are fantastic, while renewable sources such as solar, wind and hydroelectric are iffy solutions for our energy problems.

The people at ExxonMobil, of course, agree.

For two decades, the oil company has paid to sponsor the pavilion and its collection of animatronic dinosaurs. Besides the handful of ExxonMobil signs hanging in the pavilion, the sponsorship bought an Exxon gas station sign airtime in the U of E's 45-minute pro-fossil fuel movie.

The sponsorship quietly ended Saturday with the expiration of a contract between Disney and Exxon.

Walt Disney World is talking with several companies about picking up the sponsorship, a spokeswoman said, though she declined to name them.

Exxon's name has also been dropped from the three gas stations on Walt Disney World property. The stations have been closed for renovation until March 30. They will reopen as Hess Express stations.

Earlier this month, Disney announced a deal with the Amerada Hess Corp. to sponsor both the gas stations and the new Sports Fields venue at Disney's Wide World of Sports.

Despite the natural tie-in, Hess said it had no current interest in sponsoring the Universe of Energy pavilion.

"That just didn't fit," spokesman Jay Wilson said, "though we may, at some point, do some additional sponsorships."
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

crashbunny is offline Moderator
    any ideas on whats going to happen? Will the area still be open?

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    I have heard that the Exxon signs have obviously been removed, and now that Amerada Hess has taken over the gas stations, etc. it is rumored that they may take over the sponsorship of the attraction.

However, with so many pavilions without a sponsor anymore (American Adventure, SSE, etc.), I'm beginning to wonder if for some odd reason the Mouse isn't all that interested in beholding to corporate sponsors anymore (not that they were beholding that much anyway)
    Lou Mongello

tiggerguy is offline All Around Good Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by AKQJ10
    I have heard that the Exxon signs have obviously been removed, and now that Amerada Hess has taken over the gas stations, etc. it is rumored that they may take over the sponsorship of the attraction.

However, with so many pavilions without a sponsor anymore (American Adventure, SSE, etc.), I'm beginning to wonder if for some odd reason the Mouse isn't all that interested in beholding to corporate sponsors anymore (not that they were beholding that much anyway)

What I have heard was that Amerada Hess WAS not interested in sponsoring the pavilion, just the fields at WWOS.
    Brian
    WDWRadio Moderator

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    that's what I geard too. why would they be interested in paying for a second hand attraction that isn't massively popular.
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE

Loric is offline D-Ticket Holder
    They havent removed the signs yet because it's integral to the show lighting. The large ExxonMobil signs in the Pre-show need to be replaced with something similar - so the rehab is pending.

You know, we could take up a collection here...

I kinda like the sound of:

Universe of Energy: Brought to you by your friends at DisneyWorldTrivia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Xharryb
    that's what I geard too. why would they be interested in paying for a second hand attraction that isn't massively popular.
    Lou Mongello

We'd get a lounge out of the deal - we could pay to have the faux-wal removed and we could watch the vehicles cruise through the dino's all day, not like we need the conference room Exxon made the viewing area into.

I think I'd add little cameos of our first 100 members or so. Plus, you could go down and be a ride operator whenever you want. Just grab the mike and start 'er up!
    Lou Mongello

Heh, I'd have to teach you how to push the button when it blinks and beeps at you in Theater 2 but with 2 people we can operate the ride. You mind sitting in the "inner tube" in the dark watching the same movie over and over?

(Note: Theater 2 is called the "inner-uber" because the whole theater is round and centered around the turntable - the console the operator sits at is a semi-circle that wraps around and the panel faces slop down toward the CM, and behind them is the scrim for the KNRG tower, little room to move around - so the CM often is found their feet kicked up lounging back in the chair, and with the whole theater being painted black and the screens and the movie moving around, you get a surreal "bobbing around in space" feeling if you're left alone in there too long.)