Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Lights on the Castle in the News & Rumors forums; Thanks for emailing Disney for us ftg09!...
    mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Thanks for emailing Disney for us ftg09!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

castle lights

Wow! The last time we were down for a Christmas vacation the Castle was a Cake! I hope they are are on we arrive in 11 DAYS! When we went the Cake Year we were down for 2 full weeks. We were amazed at how many decorations came down between New Years and Jan 2, and most seemed to be rapidly going away by the time we left on the 5th of January, especially at the hotels.

ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Your welcome. I'll take pictures and post them when I'm back. I can't believe its only 5 days until we leave! I'm not looking forward to the 21+ hour bus ride though...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

The lights have been lit!!!

At 6pm tonight, 11/11/07, the new Christmas lights came to life for the first time. I'm a little bummed that I missed the actual switching on, as I was inside Mickey' Philharmagic at the time, but when I came out, everyone and their brother was pointing their cameras at the castle. Give it a few hours, and those pictures are going to start popping up everywhere. I'll have a couple of my own up for you in a few minutes, as soon as I get them all uploaded and pick out my favorites. And I've got a little bit of pretty cool, exciting news regarding them as well... but I'll keep you hanging until then.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!

The pictures are up!

Ok, I apologize for the quality of some of these, as I didn't exactly put a whole lot of time and effort into this just now, being in such a rush to get these up to share with you. I took 45 pictures of the lights tonight, and what I am posting here now are 9 of my favorites. They may not all be the best in quality, because I was in such a hurry to take as many shots as possible from so many different angles that I often did not take the time to set up the shot properly, or in some cases just neglected to use all the tools I had at my disposal, such as the tripod I brought with me but only used for a couple of shots. And the as for the editing... some of them could probably have been done much better, especially when I actually take two minutes to sit down and work with them for real. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can probably expect me to have some larger, better quality images of some of these pics ready for posting over the next couple of days, but for now... here's what I've got.

Ok, I promised some news on the lights. First and foremost... they look great! But that much was a given. To answer some of the questions I myself had, and therefore I assume some of you did as well... the lights do not flash or twinkle or anything like that, but instead remain constant (or at least seemingly so), which I am grateful for. I really didn't want to see "dancing lights" on the castle. But even though the lights appear to remain constant, in comparing some of my pictures, I've determined that there actually is some change that goes on in the lights, but it apparently does so gradually enough that I didn't notice the changes by my own eye, and it wasn't until I compared two otherwise identical pictures, taken on a tripod, with the only difference between them being about 30 seconds in time passed. Check out the 3rd and 4th pics I'm posting here to see some of this evidenced.

Also, while I wasn't sure what would become of the normally color-changing castle with the lights now strapped on top of it, never fear, the castle does still change its hues... only the changes are now more subtle, and even more gradual than before. The castle appeared to be mostly light blues and white for the first 10-15 minutes I was inspecting it, and it wasn't for some time that I began to notice that a hint of purple was working its way into the color scheme. This "hint" of purple eventually became a deep, rich hue, which then seemed to take over as the "dominant" color scheme for the next while. Compare my 2nd and 8th pictures to see this difference in colors.

And lastly, and the bit that thrilled me the most, actually had to do with Wishes. Because of how bright the castle is now with all the lights on it, it was obviously necessary to kill the lights for the fireworks. Not only is the normal castle lighting a crucial part of the show, but it would have given away Tinkerbell before she even left her balcony. So sure enough, when the show began, the lights went out. That was to be expected. What was NOT expected came during the closing minutes of the show.

During the "Like a bolt out of the blue..." segment towards the end, the glimmering wintery lights began, subtly at first, to overtake the castle once more, starting at the tallest spire and spreading slowly downwards to cover the structure. From that point right up through the ending, the lights actually became part of the show's finale, adding that extra bit of holiday magic on top of what I consider one of the finest moments in Disney pyrotechnics ever. My jaw dropped, my eyes watered, I shouted out in surprise, and my camera (which was safely stowed in my pocket for the show, due to my being convinced there would be nothing new to Wishes that I hadn't seen before) was yanked back out in a hurry as I tried to capture the moment as best I can (sorry for the crooked picture... I was hurried... and slightly emotional, and I didn't take the time to rotate it in editing).

Anyway... so that's my wham-bam, slap it together and post it up version of reporting the new holiday lights. I'll probably get into better detail and get some better versions of some of the pictures up in the very near future. I just wanted to get something up tonight. Enjoy!

Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 11-12-2007 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Spelling errors. Fixing them, that is.
    -Don-

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Very cool pics MS . Thank you for posting them. I hope I get to see them next month. I can see the difference between those 2 shots (i love those spot the diff photo games...lol) The front bottom towers is the biggest difference that I see along with the front bottom center. How neat they have incorporated the castle and Wishes. Thanks again for feeding our addiction..lol

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Christmas Castle

Wow, Amazing! Thanks.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    GREAT pics Don!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    Those pictures are absolutely fantastic!!!!!

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Here's what Disney has to say...courtesy of WDW News Today:

Cinderella's Holiday Wish

Disney has now released some details on the Christmas lights adorning Cinderella Castle:

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- A dazzling new lighting spectacle is transforming the iconic Cinderella Castle at Walt Disney World Resort into a glimmering, shimmering ice palace at holiday time. Bathed in more than 200,000 tiny white lights, the castle glows and glistens as "Cinderella's Holiday Wish" delights Magic Kingdom guests nightly, starting Nov. 12.

"We are thrilled to be adding this brilliant new castle spectacle to the holiday festivities at Walt Disney World this season and for seasons to come," said Francois Leroux, vice president of Walt Disney World Entertainment. "This glistening holiday enchantment creates perfect fairytale magic for this festive time of year."
    "For a park aglow in holiday magic, this becomes the new and eye-filling superstar," added Disney Entertainment show producer Rob Hamberg who supervised the weeks-long rigging of the turrets and towers for the light show. "Nothing will rival 'Cinderella's Holiday Wish' for sheer visual spectacle."

And what a spectacle. As if suddenly dusted in a million ice crystals, Cinderella Castle shines like the galaxies, adding to the wintertime wonderment of the holidays at Florida's Vacation Kingdom.

Fun Facts

To transform Cinderella's fairytale castle into a magical ice palace it took...

Five weeks and 65 elves
    Two cranes
    15 miles of cables, cut and dyed castle colors, supporting...
    32,000 square feet of fishing nets, supporting...
    200,000 energy-efficient LEDs, interspersed with...
    500 strobes
    One Fairy Godmother working some very special magic...
    "Show Before the Glow" Stars Disney Characters

To mirthful holiday music, Mickey, Minnie and the gang appear onstage, admiring the festive lights illuminating Main Street, U.S.A. But what to do about the darkened, unadorned castle?
    As they bandy about ideas, the Fairy Godmother suddenly appears. It is Cinderella who should rightfully decide, she insists.
    Enter the princess herself, with her Prince Charming. All agree with Cinderella that her castle should sparkle the way her beloved glass slippers do -- like shimmering ice and snow.
    With a wave of Fairy Godmother's wand -- and guests joining in to make the wish come true -- Cinderella Castle magically morphs into a glorious wintry confection, twinkling in the sky. "The castle suddenly shines like a glistening blanket of ice," explained Disney show writer/director Alan Bruun. "Guests won't believe their eyes at the spectacle as Cinderella's holiday wish comes true."
    Show times will be nightly at 5:45 p.m. Cinderella Castle aglow will also play a supporting role in other Magic Kingdom entertainment such as live stage shows, the nighttime fireworks extravaganza "Holiday Wishes," and the after-hours Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party, a specially-ticketed event featuring the new "Mickey's Once Upon a Christmastime Parade."
    Like a global necklace, dazzling castle lighting spectacles also adorn Disneyland Paris, Hong Kong Disneyland and Disneyland Resort. Disneyland Paris, now marking its 15th anniversary, started the castle lighting tradition in 2005 when Leroux conceived the concept.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

unc23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Cant wait to see it myself in about a month!!
    The #1 Weekly Newsletter for Disney Information. Make sure to sign up to receive our weekly Disney newsletter:

http://wdwnewsletter.com

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Unbelievable picture. I didn't think the castle could get any prettier!
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Babby58 is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I can't wait to see the castle- 20 more days!!! I've never been to Disney for the holidays- this will be an extra-special treat!
    Piglet Rules!!

Show times will be nightly at 5:45 p.m.

You mean I just missed it by mere minutes?!?!?!? I passed in front of the castle at 5:39. I remember because I looked at my watch, wondering why people were starting to gather there, as if expecting a 5:40 showing of Dream Along with Mickey. There is usually a 6:40 showing, so I just assumed maybe there was a 5:40 that day for some reason... maybe because of the time change last week.

So I continued on back around the castle, (as I couldn't go through it because it was curtained off the same way it usually is before DAWM), and it wasn't until I was inside Philharmagic, waiting for the show to begin, that I checked my times guide. It listed no DAWM showing at 5:40, which confused me further. Cinderella's Holiday Wish was listed, but said to begin Monday, rather than Sunday, so I didn't think too much of it. It's not uncommon for guests to misread the times guide and miss things like the days that are listed in parenthasis, so maybe they were all just mistaken.

It wasn't until I came out of the show at about 6:05 that I looked up and saw the lights and knew I'd missed the lighting ceremony. That was frustrating enough. But looking back on the whole thing, seeing how all the clues were there, and it was me who couldn't put two and two together... and not a dumb first-time guest who couldn't read their times guide... that's even more frustrating. I can't believe I missed it by 6 minutes!!! If I had gotten held up and had to take the next monorail instead of the first one that came into the station, I would have seen the thing. What rotten luck!

Oh well... now I'm determined to get back there and see it again - the whole thing this time - very soon.
    -Don-

o8catrina8o is offline D-Ticket Holder
    my jaw has drop does anyone know how long it will be on im guess till xmas ill be there 19 of dec to 26 this caslte is the most beautiful decortation i think disney has done
    1993 - Dolphin
    1995- Aunt House
    1997- Off Site
    1999- Off Site
    2000- Coronodo Springs
    2002- Port Orleans and All Star
    2003- Off Site
    2004- Off Site - Christmas Time
    2005- Pop Century -Christmas Time
    2005 -Carribean Beach - DIsney Wonder
    2005- Disneyland- Spring Break
    2006- Pop Century - Halloween