Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss SSE Open! in the News & Rumors forums; I'm pumped and yet a little sad. The final fber optic scene awlasy brought a tear to my eye. Is that still at all intact?...
    StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    I'm pumped and yet a little sad. The final fber optic scene awlasy brought a tear to my eye. Is that still at all intact?
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by StarsNStripes View Post
    I'm pumped and yet a little sad. The final fber optic scene awlasy brought a tear to my eye. Is that still at all intact?
    From what I hear, No. That totally ticks me off. That final scene was the only reason why I liked to ride SSE.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    Yeah, I heard that pretty much the entire descending part of the ride is all done on a computer screen that is attatched to the ride vehicle, I guess. I loved the last scenes in SSE too.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    For anyone who didn't see... Adam posted a spoilers thread with details of what changed...
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...-spoilers.html
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

akur is offline 1 hour's drive to WDW.

I rode it today!!

I thought there were a lot fewer scenes, but overall enjoyed it.
    Ana The Librarian

I trade books! See my available list at:
    Books available

Have books to trade? Join Paperback Swap

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    **SPOILERS AHEAD**

I was able to ride it today after several passes by the gate only to be turned around and told "we're not gonna open, go away" So after a little side trip to MK for a dole whip, I came back on the monorail and saw the gate was open, people in line, maybe this time I'll be able to get on! After racing down the ramps and through the turnstyles, they shut the gate on us and then said they were closed for the day. Getting a little annoyed, I decided to wait by the gate and some guy in a yellow DWT lanyard showed up, went by the name of Lou was at the gate, and after his little chat with the CM, he kicked down the gate and we all were cheering Lou! Lou! Lou! Lou! and queued up in line for SSE. Ok, it didn't really happen that way, but Lou did show up, and the gate did swing open and queued up. Do you ever have that strange luck where you're standing in line, and there's always that one screaming kid that just won't stop? Well, there were 2 of them behind me, and I was a bit worried that they'll be in my car screaming the whole way through but instead, I got stuck with Lou, and annoyed him with playing connect the dots on my touchscreen on the way up and then suddenly they disappeared and they took our picture (why? I dunno. I thought they were going to use our cut out heads on a stick figure dude riding a hover car in a futuristic city, but that didn't happen, we'll get to that later.) Anyways, we level off and the screen with the mammoths and cave people changed, it seems flat when it used to have some depth to it, or maybe that's just me. Anyways, caveman dude was one of the newer AA's that was really awsome watching him move (I've never seen a cave person move like that before.) For the most part, the scenes were pretty much the same with a few minor changes such as the theatre changing into a 'teaching' group, the newspaper kid moved to the back, he was almost hidden, the many movie screens removed and just one screen with cardboard cutout silhoettes of audience. Oh, did I mention Judi Dentch was too loud and the script wasn't that well written? Ok, back on track, on the opposite side of the cardboard audience, there was a new living room scene watching the moon landing, and then we're then entering a large white room with what looked like the ENIAC or some other really large computer and some AA lady with yellow stockings and some nice boots on, totally fit in with the scene. And then, we're now entering a garage instead of the awsome looking globe, and there's some guy on a desktop computer in his garage? Ok, sure, but I thought the garage was for the car that's just outside sitting there filling an empty void. The 'matrix' tunnel was interesting, I'm wondering if it's supposted to look like it doesn't wrap all the way around, or not, but once again was weird to feel that there needs to be something in the rest of that space. And now for the big POW that we've all know and love, the climatic globe reveal! They redid the globe, it's smaller and doesn't have that effect that looks like it's moving with you anymore, and since it's smaller, there's now an empty void around the globe that's eerie, no stars shall ever come within 100 feet of the stationary globe! Our descent back down was interesting, because now we get to play with the touchscreens, woot! They asked us several questions, which they probably could have come up with more answer selections, since most of the questions had 2 answers to choose from, and neither seemed to sound good, so I just picked at random. After that, it first seemed like they were then going to quiz us on what we just experienced, but then it was just a 'recap' of things already mentioned. I'm guessing this is just to kill time as they come up with your cartoon. We're now at the point where we're on the turn around before we descend a second time, and the cartoons came on. I watched my little cartoon guy surf and ride a little bubble that joined a hover train with a hole in it, and my bubble filled the hole and then the ride was done. I understand the descent was pretty much watching the screen, but it feels like a cheap way to get away with not doing anything cool with the descent. It looked like they still kept some of the former lighting effects like the wave of sparkly lights from the futuristic city at the turn around, but they were off at the time. Overall I liked most of the new changes, and don't mind Judi Dentch narrating, but I thought she was too loud in the cars, and the script was lacking, especially at the top where she kept just going on and on. I'm just hoping that when it officially opens up, it'll be up to par as Irons or Cronkite versions.

Anyone ridden since Pygmy's report? Any changes or improvements? I gotta say every time I read a "spoiler" I get more and more turned off by the whole descent being so blah thing. I mean, I understand if you didn't want to spend money to put something NEW in there but they at least could've left what was there, there, and maybe just no volume... sort of stationary views of technology of the future... they weren't AA's anyway.

When the refurb to Jeremy Irons was done I was really skeptical but 100% happy and surprised. I truly expected to feel the same with this but now I'm thinking I'll be disembarking my time machine in disappointment come May.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

As of 12/16, there were no improvements to the end. However, I loved the improvments to the first half of the ride. I also like Judi Detch as the narrator. I just hope that Disney will do something about the ending. It is very bland and kind of boring (I may just be mad because they took out the fiber optics).

Hold off judgment until you have ridden it. You may like the ending.
    - Matt

Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    As of 12/16, there were no improvements to the end. However, I loved the improvments to the first half of the ride. I also like Judi Detch as the narrator. I just hope that Disney will do something about the ending. It is very bland and kind of boring (I may just be mad because they took out the fiber optics).

Hold off judgment until you have ridden it. You may like the ending.
    ARGHHHHHH the fiber optics are gone too? *pouts*

YES!!! I'm going to start a boycott! I'll show them!!!!
    - Matt

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I missed the fiber optics lights too. I really like the change in the caveman painting. DH and I both enjoyed that. I kinda miss hearing "The theatre is born" when we ride by Ancient Greece.

I can't decide if it's Dame Judi Dench I don't like narrating or if it's the script or a combination of both. And, I normally like Dench.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

I am sure I'll be on the fence about Judy Dench too... at least for awhile. Not really because it's "her" but because it's female. I am so used to there always being a deep voiced male narrating the attraction. From Vic Perrin to Walter Cronkite to Jeremy Irons.

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I hope I get to try out this ride during Marathon weekend. I am so curious about these changes.

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando
    Can we correctly the assume that the attraction is open to all who want to ride it at this point, or is it still in a special soft opening stage where only certain people get to go on each day? Just curious because I'll be there next Tuesday.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    Is SSE a dark ride, I have never been on it.

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast