Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Pop Warner Fight in the News & Rumors forums; I ask for the specific conventions, sports events and groups that will overlap our dates being considered. We have tweaked trips around Major Golf tourneys, the McDonald's Owners Convention. Others ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I ask for the specific conventions, sports events and groups that will overlap our dates being considered. We have tweaked trips around Major Golf tourneys, the McDonald's Owners Convention. Others like the National Teachers Convention in November or Beauty Pageant Finals didn't 'cause any difficulties beyond finding an affordable hotel. Soccer was leaving the day we arrived, Football was arriving as we left. Have to ask them to read detailed list, obviously they are not going to offer the info up. We were there with a major golf tourney in Oct. one year no problems but it was very, very crowded.

cp1999 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    My wife and I have been down to the WORLD during cheerleading comps. and I only had one isolated problem. While at MGM (that is what it will always be) we were waiting in line to see Jafar and all of a sudden this group of cheerleaders comes up and cuts in front of everyone walks right up to him and they start taking pictures and getting signatures. Now the CM with him was not paying attention to keep order so I spoke up and told them that there is a line. They ignored me so I saw an adult who was wearing the same jacket as the cheerleaders and went to talk to that person. After a quick talk I realized it was their coach. She ran over there asked them all to form around her away from Jafar and just let them have it. Besides that I have experienced nothing but well behaved parents and their kids. As for the football teams. Rules are rules. I can not feel bad for those players. I played basketball and went on many trips for the sport. We used to stay in hotels that had other teams in it. Our coach and parents had us on lock down. What really upsets me is that they are in some way trying to make what they did go away and making what Disney did the focal point. Again rules are rules and if you can not control your team you have to go. Remember I am all for organized sports, but parnets and coaches need to keep an extra eye on there kids/players when they are out of there norm. I do feel bad for the guests that were just there on vacation and had to witness this ordeal.
    Mike from Rochester. Yes that Mike from Rochester.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Animal Kingdom Lodge- 2005
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

AllAbouttheMouseketeer #119

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

Shere_Khan is offline As the world falls down...
    They absolutely did the right thing. DIsney clearly stated the consequences of reckless behavior and all teams were aware or should have been aware of it if they had read the contract they signed. It is unfortunate that parents and children who were not involved had to leave, but they cannot bend the rules because of this. Hopefully sports teams from now on will think before acting.

"Almost everyone is mad here. You may have noticed that I'm not all there myself." - Chesire Cat

"You have spirit for one so small, and that spirit deserves a fighting chance." - Shere Khan

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    I even give my parents rules on trips that I take with teams.....anyone that acts bad reflects on every one regardless of who they are.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    On another forum a similar thread was started, however one of the mom/chaperones from one of the Hawaii teams joined in the conversation. I'll put a link to that thread so you can see her input. At first she does more damage than good, but later becomes more coherent.

3 Pop Warner teams thrown out of WDW - Visions Fantastic

It is worth reading and you get an idea of the enormity of the brawl, even though the woman is trying to show how her side is innocent.

(MOds is I"m not allowed to link this just let me know and I will remove it. Thanks)

Quote Originally Posted by echoscot View Post
    On another forum a similar thread was started, however one of the mom/chaperones from one of the Hawaii teams joined in the conversation. I'll put a link to that thread so you can see her input. At first she does more damage than good, but later becomes more coherent.

It is worth reading and you get an idea of the enormity of the brawl, even though the woman is trying to show how her side is innocent.

(MOds is I"m not allowed to link this just let me know and I will remove it. Thanks)

WOW I mean WOW. I feel dumber from reading her posts. Bringing skin color into it is when I realized I can not take her seriously.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by cp1999 View Post
    WOW I mean WOW. I feel dumber from reading her posts. Bringing skin color into it is when I realized I can not take her seriously.
    I second that WOW! I'll continue to wonder why WDW continues to host this event, more so now after reading the CM's comments from the link about escalating problems through the years. How old were these kids, I must admit when my kids were older teens they were allowed to break off from us and explore some areas of the World without us. When band goes to WDW the students break off too in groups too but have not heard of these type of tales. Just seems Pop Warner brings very intense teams to a World that is by conception is laid back enjoyment.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    If all the teams and parents read and signed the agreement concerning their stay, then they should all have to pay the consequences. If you are a parent accompanying a group, then you are in charge of making sure they know what behavior is expected no matter HOW excited you are over your wins and loses. Don't blame Disney for enforcing their rules. Blame the kids who broke the rules and the parents who should have been keeping tabs on them.
    We were staying in a hotel while attending a family wedding. A softball tournament was being played nearby and the hotel was full of kids. At 2:00 AM, the fire alarms went off. Kids were smoking in a room and the drapes caught on fire. After returning to our room, we found that sleep was difficult because the room and hallway still reeked of smoke smell.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    It's not just the families fault. It just as much if not MORE that it is the coaches fault. When I take my kids on trips I make sure their parents know that the kiddos are on a trip with ME and not their parent. They are to follow my rules. If something goes wrong it is MY fault as I didn't watch and monitor more closely. It's MY job that is on the line. I make both girls and parents get something signed and notarized that if they break any of the major rules they are sent home on the next flight at the parents expense.

Coaches that allow this foolishness to go on should not be a coach. Not only do I try to get my dance team to win awards and contest but I'm also a role model. It's my job to help make sure that they are behaving accordingly and in a manner that is respected by others. Coaches like these teams obviously had should not be allowed to continue. I guarantee you I'd be pulled in front of the school board the second we got home.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Actually you can see that even with out fighting, Pop Warner has issues. Here is a trip report from another forum where the person had a good time but ran into problems with the Pop Warner Cheerleaders as well:

Mickey Crazy's Trip Report - Talk Disney Information

I was just enjoying reading his report and then this stuff showed up there too. Glad that as CM we aren't the only ones who get annoyed with them...LOL

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    after reading that report it reminded me of one incident I did see with the Pop Warners.

an elderly man was walking from the International Gateway when some horseplaying cheerleaders got rowdy and ran into him. hard. so hard, in fact, that he was very nearly knocked to the ground.
    the main person involved in the horseplay? the adult! (coach, mom, or whomever this rambunctious adult was)
    she yelled a laughing, "Sorry Sir!" (she clearly didn't mean it) and they all kept playing around on down the path without a second thought.

I thought that was very rude, obviously, but you see that kind of stuff all the time (especially at the mall and other places that are crowded and tend to have large roving packs of tweens and teens mingling with solitary, or coupled up, elderly folks), not just at WDW during Pop Warner (though I will say that this past trip was my very last during the Pop Warner goings-on).

If we can dream it, we can do it

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I totally agree that Disney should stick to their rules otherwise no one would bother taking them seriously. Disney works hard to make its parks as family friendly as possible and allowing this behaviour would ruin that.
    Having said that both times I have been to WDW recently there have been LARGE groups of cheerleaders staying at our resorts. Neither time did we have any trouble and the 1st time a group took a shine to my 6 year old and really made his holiday. There was no trouble because they had very vigilant cheerleader moms with them who monitored their behaviour

After reading all of the post by the supposed person who was there. This person contradicts there self. Their first post they say that the 1 team had 2 other incidents that were not reported. Then in one of their last posts they say that the first 2 incidents were reported and Disney did nothing. Since this is faceless information I am having a hard time believing that that person was even there. Time to end this back to thinking about nothing else,but my Disney trip in January.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

Quote Originally Posted by cp1999 View Post
    After reading all of the post by the supposed person who was there. This person contradicts there self. Their first post they say that the 1 team had 2 other incidents that were not reported. Then in one of their last posts they say that the first 2 incidents were reported and Disney did nothing. Since this is faceless information I am having a hard time believing that that person was even there. Time to end this back to thinking about nothing else,but my Disney trip in January.
    Well, I understand why you say that, however her posts have an underlying intensity that can only come from a person who genuinely feels that they have been personally wronged. That leads me to believe that she really was there.

Contradictions occur in many eyewitness statements of accidents and things, and being that with a fight like this emotions were running high it is understandable that events are muddled together in her memory.

It also makes it even more understandable why Disney just said "Enough, everyone out NOW!"

EDIT: Also have fun on your trip...I am going the first week of January...

Well, I understand why you say that, however her posts have an underlying intensity that can only come from a person who genuinely feels that they have been personally wronged. That leads me to believe that she really was there.

Contradictions occur in many eyewitness statements of accidents and things, and being that with a fight like this emotions were running high it is understandable that events are muddled together in her memory.

It also makes it even more understandable why Disney just said "Enough, everyone out NOW!"

EDIT: Also have fun on your trip...I am going the first week of January...

echoscot I will be down there on the 4th and in the parks starting the 5th.(it will be my birthday,DD first time and my wedding anniversary!) Maybe we will run into each other. On your comment all I will say is that you are right on all aspects of your post. Have fun on your trip.

Vista Way- 1999
    Coronado Springs- 2000
    All Star Movies- 2003
    Caribbean Beach- 2004
    Saratoga Springs- 2008

TEAM VOICE '09
    "Many Goals, One Voice"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast