Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Contemporary Tower News in the News & Rumors forums; I got this from WDW News Today: Contemporary Wing Likely To Be DVC Jason Garcia : January 14, 2008 : Orlando Sentinel Walt Disney World is in the midst of ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Lightbulb Contemporary Tower News

I got this from WDW News Today:

Contemporary Wing Likely To Be DVC

Jason Garcia : January 14, 2008 : Orlando Sentinel
    Walt Disney World is in the midst of building a $110 million, 15-story tower next to its iconic Contemporary Resort that likely will feature time shares — bringing the units closer to the Magic Kingdom than ever before. Disney will say little publicly about the fast-rising Contemporary addition. The new tower already stands five stories on 14 acres just to the north of the resort’s signature A-frame main building, which was just the second hotel at Disney World when it opened a few months after the park itself first welcomed guests Oct. 1, 1971. But there is ample evidence Disney plans to use the tower for time shares.

Building-permit applications filed with Reedy Creek Improvement District identify the owner of the property as a company called JMSRM Inc. State records show that is a fictitious name created in August 2006 by Celebration-based Disney Vacation Development, parent company of the Disney Vacation Club time-share arm. In a pair of letters, an environmental consultant hired by Disney calls it “a proposed Disney Vacation Club (DVC) Resort at the Contemporary hotel.” And in a recent filing with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, Disney, which has built about 2,400 time-share units at eight resorts, revealed that it has about 680 more under construction at Disney World. Disney has only publicly acknowledged one ongoing time-share construction project in Orlando: Kidani Village, an extension of the partially completed Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas. That project is expected to have 340 units when finished in spring 2009 — leaving another 340 or so unaccounted for. Construction records for the Contemporary expansion call for 295 three-bedroom suites. Some could be sold as separate two- and one-bedroom units. Still, Disney will not talk about the Contemporary addition.

“We have plans to expand our Disney Vacation Club business both on Walt Disney World property and at other vacation destinations in the future. However, we don’t have anything formal to announce today,” Disney Vacation Club spokeswoman Rena Langley said. Reasons to stay mum: Analysts say Disney may have strategic reasons for holding back on a Contemporary time-share announcement. Disney, which has invested deeply in the time-share business in recent years, is still in the midst of peddling time shares in Animal Kingdom Villas and Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, both at Disney World. Announcing future time shares now in the Contemporary — which are likely to be hugely popular, given their prime location along the Magic Kingdom monorail and within walking distance of the park — could slow the current sales, said Robert LaFleur, a leisure-industry analyst with Susquehanna Financial Group. Disney time-share buyers, though they own a real-estate interest, do not purchase specific units in individual resorts; rather, they buy points that they can redeem for rooms in the company’s time-share resorts or elsewhere. But buyers must purchase those points from a “home” resort — there are a limited number of points available for each facility — and they are given priority at that particular resort when booking a stay.

“If you’re trying to pitch a sale at Saratoga Springs or trying to pitch a sale at the Animal Kingdom, and somebody’s aware that a year from now there’s going to be stuff available in the Contemporary . . . that would cannibalize your other sales, I would think,” LaFleur said. It is also possible that Disney could decide against marketing the Contemporary addition as time shares and use the building for more hotel rooms instead. Company executives said recently that Disney World hotels are averaging 90 percent occupancy, and the Contemporary commands some of the highest room rates of them all: A one-bedroom suite can run as high as $1,310 a night. “I know [Disney has] talked about a tower there for a long, long time,” even before the company’s interest in time shares, said Reedy Creek District Administrator Ray Maxwell.

The Contemporary addition is sure to be a lavish one. Records say the crescent-shaped tower will include a host of amenities, including a swimming pool and water-play area with an outdoor bar and a water slide; a spa; tennis courts; a barbecue pavilion; and a 499-person lounge on the 15th floor featuring a restaurant and bar. The new tower will be connected to the main building by a pedestrian bridge. The project price tag: $109.6 million with completion likely in 2009. According to development records, Disney broke ground on the expansion in January 2007. The construction, which began with the demolition of an older, three-story wing of hotel rooms, is expected to take about 32 months. That would put the completion date about September 2009.

The construction comes with Disney already in the midst of a major time-share building boom. Last fall, Disney announced that it will build an 800-room resort in Hawaii in which at least half of the rooms will be time shares and that it will add 50 two-bedroom villas to Disneyland’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, which will be the first time shares at Disney’s original resort. Disney Vacation Club President Jim Lewis has also said that the unit is considering projects in Lake Tahoe and the Caribbean. The company currently has six time-share locations at Disney World and one each in Vero Beach and Hilton Head, S.C.

Time shares have blossomed across the hotel industry. Jeremy Glaser, an analyst with Morningstar, said they are especially lucrative for a company such as Disney because time shares lock in future trips to its theme parks. “They’re going to make money from your park admission and all of that ancillary money you’re going to spend every time you come to Orlando,” Glaser said. “They have an added bonus to get you to commit to taking vacations there for years.”
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    This makes me more confused than ever...

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm going to be saving every spare penny, dime, and nickel in order to make sure that I'm at least the second person in line at Disney's Doorway to Dreams the day the announcement comes down that these units are "for sale". I can't wait!
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

Timbo is offline Fastpass Holder

Here's a link to the full length article from the Orlando Sentinel:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-contemporary1408jan14,0,199096.story

Of course, this is really old news to most of us. Although Disney is still treating it as a rumor, we know the real deal. After all, this is the age of the Internet.
    Last edited by Timbo; 01-16-2008 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Added a comment.
    Check out my blog or MySpace.

Disneyhog6 is offline A-Ticket holder

Inside Info...

My MIL is a manager out at MK, and she said she's been told that it is true that the construction going on near the CR is indeed more timeshare units, but there is a catch. She said that since this news/rumor broke that sales of the other timeshares have declined, because people that were interested in buying Disney timeshare are putting off their purchase to wait for the sale of the CR timeshares. Well, my MIL was told that, in response to this, Disney has stated that they will not begin to sell the CR timeshares until all other WDW timeshare units have sold.

snf1694 is offline A-Ticket holder

Contemporary Resort

Well I think its a step in the right direction, A cast member told us when the wings of the contemporary were literally falling apart and having erosion control problems made it a hazard. So I think it was going to happen anyway even if they did not want to destroy it. Then again I could be wrong about this

disney95 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Yeah. The addition is a great idea. The location will attract a lot of people. Also, the Contemporary needs a little more. The Contemporary is kinda plain right know and I think if this is an addition to the resort, more people will like it(like me!)! I am going to eat at Chef Mickeys when I go in July (see my signature) , so I will tell you whats is going on, and post pictures!
    July 20-27> POLYNESIAN!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    I have a question (please understand its been 15 years since i was last at WDW so its hard to remember the lay out exactly)
    I've booked for the CR in May, with a MK view. Will i be looking at a construction site from my room or is the new building 'the other side' if you know what i mean? I'm starting to wonder if staying at the GF might be a better idea?
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

disney95 is offline A-Ticket holder
    I don't think you will face the construction. Here is a map of the Contemporary:

If that doesn't work click the link:
    Contemporary Map - wdwinfo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    July 20-27> POLYNESIAN!!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Fiona the construction is kind of to the right and behind the Contemporary as you come into it on the monorail from the TTC. So no it wouldn't block an MK view.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder
    Noooooooo =(. I've already known this for some time, but I can't stress this enough. =P. The Contemporary is amazing right now and my favorite resort. This new building to me will take away from the old A frame. =(
    Last edited by pranker51502; 02-14-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11