Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss NEW Park Technology! in the News & Rumors forums; Nooooooo!!!!!!! Thats a bad idea!!!!!!! Dont do it Disney!!!!! I HATE it b/c its just Pal Mickey V.2!!!!!!!...
    cute_seven101 is offline A-Ticket holder

Angry Nooooooooo!!!!!

Nooooooo!!!!!!! Thats a bad idea!!!!!!! Dont do it Disney!!!!! I HATE it b/c its just Pal Mickey V.2!!!!!!!

WaltDisneyFan is offline A-Ticket holder
    You guys might've already seen this, but Jim Hill posted a follow-up on the Disney Magic Connection a while ago:

Jim Hill : Monday Mouse Watch : Disney has trouble convincing guests to come make a "Magic Connection"

Now I wonder what will happen when they get some real test groups.

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder
    I hope they do this. Wifi in Disney would be amazing.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

JEANYLASER33 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    MIAMI,FL ARE PLANNING TO MOVE TO ORLANDO,FLORIDA
    I love Pal Mickey!
    JEANY SANCHEZ

MAY 2009- POP CENTURY

KingJamesUT is offline The Hakuna Kahuna
    they should put a limit on those connecting to it just so it doesn't become like a "have's or have not's" issue. That's easy enough to do.
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'87, '89, '90, '93, '94, '99, '01, '05, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    My dd had a chance to test drive this recently. She and her friends had a blast.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    I think I’m probably the only one that’s not so thrilled by this idea. Part of the magic of Disney is being able to escape from it all and immense yourself into a world of magic. I’m all for technology, but sometimes, I think it’s overtaking our humanity. Like a poster before me mentioned, half the fun of going to Disney is taking in all the sites. Imagine what folks will miss it they’re too busy staring at their PDA screens. I know I cringe when I see someone walking around the park talking on their phone and then spot them much later in the afternoon doing the same thing. I know when I’m in Disney, I don’t even try to take phonecalls unless they’re an emergency. I have a voicemail and besides, I’m on vacation! J
    You also have the issue of money. I think the last thing Walt would have wanted is for there to be this divide of guests in his park. A class system if you will. Now I know I’m getting all sappy and ideal here, but one thing I love about the Disney parks is that it puts us all on the same playing field—we’re all kids when we walk through those turnstyles. I feel like it almost becomes an issue of those having the financial means have an edge in the parks over those who do not. Anyone can grab a fastpass. Anyone can take a glance at the tip board. Only some can financially back a missing PDA at the end of the day. Maybe I’m way off base here. We’re already forking enough cash over to be in Disney World as it is. Is this really necessary? I’m not trying to be negative, just simply putting another perspective out there. Does anyone kinda see where I’m coming from? This is a good discussion we got going here by the way!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

dishippy is offline A-Ticket holder
    I definitely think this would be a good tool for any of the parks. And the way I understand it is that it could to ways. We will either be able to rent the whole Nintendo DS system at the parks kind of like how they are doing now with the testers, but we'll have to pay by the day. Or we will be able to buy the "game" cartridge from disney that basically has the software on it and put in out own DS's. The last way we be better in my opinion. I mean, if you have kids you have a descent chance of having a DS in your home already, and if not they are not priced that bad (about 100 dollars) then the game cartridges are about 35 dollars. And if you bought the game, you would have it forever and you can use it every time you go to the parks instead of paying each day you would want to use it. And with this technology, they can pretty much just update as you go, maybe releasing updated versions. I don't know, the technology is just exciting. Which makes me think, why didn't this technology start over at epcot? But that's another discussion. Peace.

Ted Flint is offline A-Ticket holder
    The entire concept scares me! Infact, I'm kind of dubious to the whole concept- the theming of MK is sacred, it seems odd that Disney is encouraging the use of electronic devices to enjoy it. I mean, think about it- there are no electronic tipboards in all of WDW- (except for Future World in Epcot, as it compliments, not detracts, from the theming.)

Personally, I don't like the idea of them. I much prefer to navagate myself around the parks, allowing myself to get lost in the magic.

Also, the gadgets seems to place too much significance (in my opinion) on completing as many rides as possible. I've seen way too many guests miss the true magic of the parks as they dash from one ride to the other.

dishippy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Flint View Post
    The entire concept scares me! Infact, I'm kind of dubious to the whole concept- the theming of MK is sacred, it seems odd that Disney is encouraging the use of electronic devices to enjoy it. I mean, think about it- there are no electronic tipboards in all of WDW- (except for Future World in Epcot, as it compliments, not detracts, from the theming.)

Personally, I don't like the idea of them. I much prefer to navagate myself around the parks, allowing myself to get lost in the magic.

Also, the gadgets seems to place too much significance (in my opinion) on completing as many rides as possible. I've seen way too many guests miss the true magic of the parks as they dash from one ride to the other.
    I never thought about that before. You definitely have a good point. I think it's a neat technology, but after reading your post, I think I'm going to agree with you. I mean, even if they had it in all of Epcot, not just future world, I think it would still be better suited that it being in MK.
    Dis Hippy
    AATM #31
    http://dishippy.blogspot.com

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Flint View Post
    Ted the problem is that you are in the classification of a Disney afficiando. Most guest to Disney hate the high prices for everything and the only way they feel they are getting their "money's worth" is to take in as much as possible.

Why do you think Len Testa's Touring Plans are so successful. They are all about getting the most done in the least amount of time.

I honestly, agast, believe that most of the hard work and imagineering that has gone into the parks is completely lost to most of it's guest.

We now live in a world where people are completely satisfied buying inferior MP3's off of iTunes. They don't even know what high quality audio is.

They also don't know what high quality Theme Park Entertainment is. It's all about the rides.

The minority. The people who go over, and over again care about the other stuff.

I'm proud to count myself in the group that cares about the details as I'm sure most people who visit this forum are
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Quote Originally Posted by StarsNStripes View Post
    I think Im probably the only one thats not so thrilled by this idea. Part of the magic of Disney is being able to escape from it all and immense yourself into a world of magic. Im all for technology, but sometimes, I think its overtaking our humanity. Like a poster before me mentioned, half the fun of going to Disney is taking in all the sites. Imagine what folks will miss it theyre too busy staring at their PDA screens. I know I cringe when I see someone walking around the park talking on their phone and then spot them much later in the afternoon doing the same thing. I know when Im in Disney, I dont even try to take phonecalls unless theyre an emergency. I have a voicemail and besides, Im on vacation! J
    You also have the issue of money. I think the last thing Walt would have wanted is for there to be this divide of guests in his park. A class system if you will. Now I know Im getting all sappy and ideal here, but one thing I love about the Disney parks is that it puts us all on the same playing fieldwere all kids when we walk through those turnstyles. I feel like it almost becomes an issue of those having the financial means have an edge in the parks over those who do not. Anyone can grab a fastpass. Anyone can take a glance at the tip board. Only some can financially back a missing PDA at the end of the day. Maybe Im way off base here. Were already forking enough cash over to be in Disney World as it is. Is this really necessary? Im not trying to be negative, just simply putting another perspective out there. Does anyone kinda see where Im coming from? This is a good discussion we got going here by the way!
    You know, when I initially heard about this technology, I thought it sounded pretty cool. Having read this post, I'm sort of rethinking my think. I can see Stars -n- Stripes' points. I used to rush around on my WDW trips, but now, I sorta kick back, people watch, and enjoy the scenery. There's so much to absorb outside of attractions and shows.

I should be honest and say that I purchase the current version of The Unofficial Guide to WDW before each trip, but that's because I want info on good restaurants, tours, etc... I don't use the touring plans.

WDWmom64055 is offline A-Ticket holder

I'm a bit of a cynic, so my first thought is that

this would be a convenient way for Disney to reach even further into the average man's wallet. First, if it is going to be like Pal Mickey, there will be some sort of fee involved. In a dark little corner of my heart I am thinking that this is Disney's response to the backlash against the idea of pay-for-fastpasses.

In addition, I can't help but think that this would be an easy way for them to direct people in a way that would encourage them to spend more money....

I'm the type of person who loves Disney but completely understands that their motives and mine do not usually allign. When I see the characters and autograph books and play areas I see ways for Disney to distract parkgoers with inexpensive alternatives to their more costly offerings. How easy it would be for them to use a hand-held device to direct people towards their more cost-effective offerings!

I'm in the "this is supposed to be a vacation!" group. While I want to make the most of our time in the parks, I can't imagine wanting to tote around an electronic tour guide.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I gotta say that I agree with most of the comments I've read here, on both sides.

It certainly sounds like Pal Mickey went over so well that they are trying to come up with a non-toy version of what he is capable of and then some.

Sure, it's nice to know how many fast passes are left and what the wait for your favorite attractions are but I have to agree with a lot of the latter comments made here. This world is becoming way too fast paced, way too "biggest bang for the buck", way too "I want it all", etc. etc.

I much prefer to walk into the parks and immerse myself in the magic. I don't go for the "rides". I go for the entire experience. I don't know that being that sort of person, a Disney afficianado as someone put it, is a bad thing. I think honestly it has less to do with Disney and more to do with the pace of your life, your existence. I doubt the folks that are go go go, do do do, at Disney, are different in their life outside of it. They are the same folks who come back from a vacation feeling more exhausted than before they left for it.

There's nothing wrong with either "type" of person but me, I prefer to be more laid back in my daily life and even more so on my vacations. When I'm at work I work hard and I'm always pulling my hair out in frustration with long meetings or technology not doing what it should. The last thing I want to do is bring that frustration along with me on vacation. I can only imagine the folks that would lose it if their device lost it's connection or something and they *gasp* had to wait in longer lines than they wanted for their favorite attractions.

It just seems to me that while technology is good, and I'm sure Walt would be behind something like this (with how technology savvy he was), it's the human element that can make something like this dangerous. It's fantastic in theory but you put it in the hands of someone who maybe doesn't have the best disposition and make them pay to use it and you could be setting yourself up for failure.

Just my two cents... for what it's worth. LOL!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story youre immersed in. - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from OJoe

Panda_Girl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Hmmm sounds like a pretty neat idea. I'd like to try it out. I could live with out the wish list though, every time I go I always want to ride the same rides and I know where they are but seeing that it takes a lot of time to build new attractions I guess they should only have the wish list for first time visitors who have yet to experience the rides and what not. But I think that it is a pretty neat idea over all but just exclude the wish list and keep the My Pal Mickey out for people who would like to have one or for the people who have yet to get one.
    "So many people treat you like a kid, so you might as act like one and throw your T.V. out the hotel window."- Gerard Way

"Popsicles should be the new black, that way everyone would have one."- Frank Iero

"Tastes like someone stole my wallet, ya know?"- Gerard Way

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12