Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Illuminations: Sky Dance in the News & Rumors forums; I love RoE, but it's probably time for an update. I just heard (can't remember where, darn it!) that Don Dorsey is downplaying this rumor. Guess we'll just have to ...
    Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I love RoE, but it's probably time for an update. I just heard (can't remember where, darn it!) that Don Dorsey is downplaying this rumor. Guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens!

Ted Flint is offline A-Ticket holder
    As a former Cast Member who has played my part many times at Showcase Plaza for Illuminations: Reflections of Earth, I can still say that I thoroughly enjoy the show. I can agree to some of the comments made here, but I would prefer the show remained. Possibly, the show may simply be revised to rekindle the attraction for returning guests and the lag with the globe scenes?

As for the opening being contriversial- I would disagree. The emphasis of the First Act is on chaos, the first of a three act structure- chaos, order and celebration. Anyway, the first act is my favourite- the music is simply beautiful!

wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts
    I agree with you, I really like RoE. I wouldn't mind if they changed it in the next couple of years, but I hope it is still there this fall for my next visit.
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I think it is time for ROF to go. It is the most boring of the night time shows at WDW by far. The show is too slow. It needs more zing. The music is nice but still not up to par with Fantasmic or Wishes. And the globe is sooo boring. If a full blown new show is not coming I am good with the idea of a major refurbishing with amazing lights, lasers and fireworks. It needs to be as good as the other two shows. Especially since EPCOT has an incredible night time ambiance with WS and SSE lighting up the night sky. An absolutely beautiful scene almost as good as Cinderella Castle at night. Not quite as good but almost.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

Quote Originally Posted by ImaMouser View Post
    The music is nice but still not up to par with Fantasmic or Wishes.
    What? I'm hurt, I really am. I can't help but take that personally! I find the music to Illuminations captivating. I'm a studying composer myself and I truly find more interest in RoE than I do in the two other shows. While Both Fantasmic and Wishes have some familiar tunes to it, both fail to impress upon me a sense of wonder and such.

Also, what is the point to Wishes? Fantasmic has a story and Illuminations has a detailed abstract in three acts. For me, Wishes is the weakest of the three shows- if it weren't for the novelty factor of being at Walt Disney World, I would be very unimpressed with that show.

As for Fantasmic, I think its an awesome spectacle. Although its a simple story of good versus evil, with medleys of Disney film music coupled with an 1980s theme, it (for me, at least) conjours the spirit of all the good things I associate with a Disney film.

Illuminations, is a mature production, unovertly Disney. Sadly, the points that make it great, also make it unsuccessful. I don't think that Illuminations is perfect, but it certainly is a great show.

My suggestions for improving Illuminations:
    1. Provide lighting effects for ALL countries, not just some. (From what I remember, Germany, Morocco and a few others don't light up).
    2. Improve the globe- they make a big hoo-hah about it being the worlds first spherical projection system, but it needs better resolution!
    3. Spice up the Second Act. It is predominately Globe driven. Live performers can't really be used on the water (due to fireworks) or on the land (due to foot-traffic), but I feel that a new element could be added to make it pop. A way out idea that would never be done would be to create an 'installation' of the show. Have different dance performances take place in each country, to create a multi-faceted show that could be seen multiple times.
    4. Make the Fountain of Nations dance to Illuminations. While the centre plaze only offers a limited view of the show, it could make for an interesting view for repeat visitors if they can see it "Fountain Side". Again, it makes the show multi-faceted.
    5. Change the last song- its TOO sentimental, and the text setting is very weak.

dreamen18 is offline A-Ticket holder
    that would be great, i wonder what the new show would entail
    1994- Dixie Landings
    1996- Caribean Beach Resort
    2007- Port Orleans Riverside
    2008- Port Orleans Riverside

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Flint View Post

My suggestions for improving Illuminations:
    1. Provide lighting effects for ALL countries, not just some. (From what I remember, Germany, Morocco and a few others don't light up).
    Just as an fyi, and in case anyone was wondering, Morocco doesn't like up in accordance with their religious beliefs.

IMHO, I don't want them to change ROE, I like it exactly the way it is.

I got engaged @ WDW 1/24/10

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Well, obviously, RoE has a very sentimental value to me. I loved yout post Ted about ideas for updates (all except your comment about changing "We Go On") I think dance performances in each country during the show is a FASCINATING idea. As if the show doesn't already bring tears to my eyes, I think that could really take RoE to a new level. Anthenna...I hear ya out there. I feel very similar. I'm not the most keen on change especially when it involves an attraction/show I love.
    But back to the music. The music is what MAKES this show. I would like to think that I'm rather well-versed when it comes to musical scores. You name the movie, I probably have the original score. This music is gorgeous. It evokes emotions across the board which is what takes RoE's "unifying factor" up a notch compared to the other shows. Don't laugh or call me a hippie, but when I'm watching RoE, I want to stand hand-in-hand (much like the Whos on Christmas) with my fellow guests in the park. In my opinion, there's NO OTHER show that makes me feel as strongly about the human condition as RoE.
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Quote Originally Posted by athenna View Post
    Just as an fyi, and in case anyone was wondering, Morocco doesn't like up in accordance with their religious beliefs.
    Religious beliefs did cross my mind, although I'm not fully aquainted with their beliefs. How ever, other countries do not light up as well. I believe that Canada and Norway do not light up either (Correct me if I'm wrong!)

Glad I inspired, StarsNStripes. Illuminations for me, is one of the the most original shows at WDW, but also one of the slowest moving shows at WDW. I would agree that RoE needs changes, but I would never suggest scrapping the show for an entirely new one. Maybe add some new innovative elements to enhance. I think the Fountain of Nations and SSE need inclusion. Make Illuminations an Epcot wide event!

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Well spoken Ted and StarsNStripes!

Thanks for your spirited defense of ROE's music. I LOVE IT, have it on CD, and listen to it frequently. I think that Illuminations is WDW's best closing spectacular. Fantasmic, as a concept, is really cool, but I think it's geared more toward kids than anyone else. Wishes is pretty, but if I wanna see fireworks and little else, I can head over to my local park on the Fourth of July. I would like it very much if they could bring the lights on the countries back into the show (like they were involved in previous editions). Ooh, can we bring the lasers back, too?

StarsNStripes, I'd like to stand 'hand in hand' when I see ROE, too, so if that makes you a hippie, then we're hippies together!

I will say that it would be nice if the globe was a bit more clear. I don't have particularly good eyesight, so I have trouble seeing what's on it more often than not. All in all, though, I'll be sad to see ROE go...whenever it leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack81 View Post
    Well spoken Ted and StarsNStripes!

Thanks for your spirited defense of ROE's music. I LOVE IT, have it on CD, and listen to it frequently. I think that Illuminations is WDW's best closing spectacular. Fantasmic, as a concept, is really cool, but I think it's geared more toward kids than anyone else. Wishes is pretty, but if I wanna see fireworks and little else, I can head over to my local park on the Fourth of July. I would like it very much if they could bring the lights on the countries back into the show (like they were involved in previous editions). Ooh, can we bring the lasers back, too?

StarsNStripes, I'd like to stand 'hand in hand' when I see ROE, too, so if that makes you a hippie, then we're hippies together!

I will say that it would be nice if the globe was a bit more clear. I don't have particularly good eyesight, so I have trouble seeing what's on it more often than not. All in all, though, I'll be sad to see ROE go...whenever it leaves.
    I guess I'm a 42 year old kid then. LOL. I just don't enjoy RoE that much. The globe is hard to see clearly, the music is boring and pyro technics are sub par. But, like I said, scrapping the whole show is not what I would like to see.
    Just some major upgrades.
    I guess when you get my age you want to go to WDW and be a little kid again and I want to be wowed like an 8 year old. Enjoy your RoE!! I'll watch it every time I'm there; I just think once a trip is enough. I could watch Fantasmic! and Wishes every night. Here comes that little kid out of me again!

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"
    I have always liked ROE, but I have noticed over the years that the pictures on the globe don't seem to shine as bright as they used to so it doesn't have the magic it used to.

Nemoxoxo is offline C-Ticket Holder
    it certainly does sound interesting. i do love Illuminations though. its almost become a part of me, but a change is needed, I agree. an updated fireworks and light show would be nice.

trips:
    1995-june;polynesian 5 days
    '96-june;dixie landing 4 days
    '97-june;dixie landing 4 days
    '98-june;wilderness lodge 7 days
    '99-june;dixie landing 5 days
    '00-june;wilderness 8 days
    '01-june;wilderness 8 days-/christmas; polynesian 7 days
    '02-june; polynesian 6 days-/november; polynesian 4 days,
    '03-june;Yahct Club 9 days
    '04-june;Beach Club 9 days
    '05-june;Yacht Club 9 days
    '06-june;Yacht Club 9 days
    '07-june;off site 2 days
    '08-june;wilderness campground 9 days
    '09-june;wilderness campground 9days
    '10-january;off site 4 days--(for 5k Race)
    '11-Sept 8-13 w/ boyfriend

The fireworks are sub-par? WHAT?

You're talking about $17grand a night- around 2200 shells and onehundred-foot tall fireballs? Plus you have the shells purpose-made to burn on the water's surface AND change colour in time to the music!

If that's sub-par, I'm scared!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Flint View Post
    The fireworks are sub-par? WHAT?

You're talking about $17grand a night- around 2200 shells and onehundred-foot tall fireballs? Plus you have the shells purpose-made to burn on the water's surface AND change colour in time to the music!

If that's sub-par, I'm scared!
    Well, Ted, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I'm glad we have the options we do at our favorite place in the world. It's the greatest place on earth. And even our least favorite things at WDW are better than anybody else's "entertainment".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast