Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss 'Idol' Attraction Coming to Disney World in the News & Rumors forums; I just read this news from the AP: 'Idol' Attraction Coming to Disney World NEW YORK, Thu Feb 07, 04:51 PM Disney World is about to get a little pitchy, ...
    Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

'Idol' Attraction Coming to Disney World

I just read this news from the AP:

'Idol' Attraction Coming to Disney World
    NEW YORK, Thu Feb 07, 04:51 PM

Disney World is about to get a little pitchy, dawg. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced plans Thursday to create a live performance attraction based on "American Idol" at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park — formerly called Disney-MGM Studios — in Lake Buena Vista, Fla.

"Our goal is to try to recreate the excitement of those 24 people who show up on that 'American Idol' stage," Disney Parks chairman Jay Rasulo told The Associated Press. "We believe many, many viewers want to know exactly how that feels, and we're going to try to reproduce that feeling for them."

Much like the hugely popular Fox singing competition, the as-yet-unnamed attraction — scheduled to open in late 2008 — will allow theme park guests to audition then perform before a live studio audience inside the Hollywood Studios' theater space formerly occupied by the "Doug Live!" and "Superstar Television" attractions.

Disney licensed the rights to create the attraction from "Idol" co-producers 19 Entertainment and FremantleMedia, despite the fact "American Idol" airs on Fox and Disney owns broadcast competitor ABC.

"It is owned by us, so we can extend the brand in the off-air space in the ways that we want to," said Keith Hindle, FremantleMedia's licensing vice president. "We don't see this in any way as a NewsCorp. vs. Disney debate. That's never been part of the discussion, and it's not something that's relevant to us. It's just part of 'American Idol.'"

The attraction's details are still being worked out, but it will probably operate something like this: Theme park guests ages 14 and up will be able to audition for a Disney casting producer. Those who pass the test will be selected to appear in one of the park's "Idol" stage shows. Rasulo anticipates six to eight such shows a day.

Backstage, the performers will receive hair and makeup touchups from a stylist and singing tips from a vocal coach. Then, the guests will perform on an "Idol"-like set in front of a live audience and three judges. No, not Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Simon Cowell. Instead, Rasulo says it's likely three audience members will be selected to evaluate the performers while a live host will keep the show moving.

Top audience vote-getters will compete in a grand finale show at the end of each day. Overall daily champs will win a special front-of-the-line pass at a regional audition for the actual "American Idol" show. Hindle says Disney winners won't be given any special treatment during the real audition, just the ability to skip ahead.

Because of eligibility differences — namely, the TV show's 16- to 28-year-old age limit — winners may be offered the option of transferring their pass to a friend or family member, but they won't be allowed to sell it. Daily champs too young to audition for the real deal could save the pass until they're old enough to compete, according to Hindle.

But will there be enough Fantasias and Sanyayas to keep theme park audiences captivated?

"I know that there's enough talent on any given day in our theme parks to keep people entertained," said Rasulo.

Beyond the attraction, Hindle says actual "Idol" stars may make appearances throughout the year and merchandise designed by both FremantleMedia and Disney's product divisions especially for the attraction would be available for sale.

"It's a very collaborative process," Hindle said. "Disney knows more about live stage productions that we ever will. We know more about our TV show that Disney ever will. Exactly how this will manifest it is something that will be mutually approved by all parties. We're looking to Disney to see how their guests like to be entertained."

In this artist rendering released by Disney, a concept for an American Idol attraction is shown. Walt Disney Parks and Resorts announced plans Thursday, Feb. 7, 2008, to create a live performance attraction based on the hugely popular "American Idol" singing competition at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park, formerly called Disney-MGM Studios, in Lake Buena Vista, Fla. (AP Photo/Disney)
    Last edited by Stitch; 02-07-2008 at 06:50 PM.

Seriously? I had to double check my calendar....nope it's not April 1st!

I love me some Disney and I love me some AI, but the thought of them together send shivers up my spine!

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    Is it me or did this news come out of nowhere? Was it even rumored? Did I miss another thread about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    Is it me or did this news come out of nowhere? Was it even rumored? Did I miss another thread about it?
    First I've heard anything about it. I seriously thought it was a joke when I saw the title of the thead!

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Geez, what is it with theme parks and coming up with these dumb ideas? Universal was stupid enough to come up with their Fear Factor Live show which isn't that popular and the show's been looong gone for a while, and now Disney's doing the same thing with Idol. I think the Idol craze will soon die down shortly, and I doubt there would be enough people who'd want to sing in front of an audience while on vacation when they could be riding ToT or RnR instead. Plus, the 'grand prize' doesn't sound that exciting and there's age limits on it as well. I don't see this lasting as long as Millionaire did, even though Millionaire was a LOT better than this sounds like. Why don't they just gut the building out, get rid of Sounds Dangerous (which is in the same building, right?) and use that space for another attraction just like what they're doing with the former Millionaire building. Hehe, I just realized that "Sounds Dangerous" will be next door to "American Idol" and when walking in the park, you'll see "American Idol Sounds Dangerous" hehehe

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Lou discussed the possibility of something going into that theater on the podcasts, at least once last year and once on January 20th. On last year's show I think he mentioned that it could be something Idol-like.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Illinibee is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Just seems like a weird combination. I am not a fan of the show, but that is not the reason why I say its a weird combination. It just seems like a more universial studio attraction. At least its another attraction for people to see so that wait times at other attractions are shorter.
    92 - Off Property
    94 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    96 - Polynesian
    98 - Wilderness Lodge
    00 - Wilderness Lodge
    02 - Grand Floridian
    03 - Animal Kindgom Lodge
    04 - Pop Century
    05 - Wilderness Lodge
    06 - Port Orleans Riverside
    07 - Polynesian
    09 - Saratoga Springs/ Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas
    11 - Bay Lake Tower/Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani
    11 - Beach Club
    11 - Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani
    12 - Old Key West
    12 - TBD (Honeymoon Trip!)

Quote Originally Posted by Illinibee View Post
    Just seems like a weird combination. I am not a fan of the show, but that is not the reason why I say its a weird combination. It just seems like a more universial studio attraction. At least its another attraction for people to see so that wait times at other attractions are shorter.
    Universal wouldn't stoop that low and turn "Idol" into an attraction, however I have heard some rumors about Deal or no Deal, 1 vs. 100, My Name is Earl, Law and Order, and SaturdayNightLive possible attractions for Universal which are just as bad sounding. They got Harry Potter going for them at least, but unfortunately it's taking over something they've originally built that wasn't tied to any movie or show, but just an awsome theme of "lost continent" and soon it'll all look different.

dsnyqwn1 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Any bets on how long this attraction will last?

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyqwn1 View Post
    Any bets on how long this attraction will last?
    I'd say it'll lose popularity by 3 months but won't be closing for at least a year and a half because they'll probably promote the heck out of it and try to draw people in and then realize that it's doing nothing so it'll close down by then. 2 years tops.

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    As a seasonal event maybe? As a daily attraction, NO! How boring to have to be the family with the person auditioning to have to spend lord knows how much time hanging around. They plan on doing 6-8 shows a day? Bad as the Millionaire show a big time waster. I agree tho, go for it so all the ppl will be there and not in line for ToT or RnR. LOL
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    i dont get why people are so outraged by this. i think its a brilliant idea. and im guessing this will be only happening twice a week or so, where u have to sign up for it in advance, audition, etc. honestly, do u really think it wont last that long, or do you not like American Idol. because i dont like american idol either, but that doesnt mean its a bad idea
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

kngdmhrts3 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    i think it should be closer to RNR, and convert hollywood boulevard, i think they should turn it in to a music industry area, like put music industry with music industry, theatre with theatre, tv with tv, and movies with movies

maybe its dumb maybe its not, whaddya think
    Hakuna Matata

"They say Walt Disney World is the Happiest Place on Earth, but they have never been in your arms"

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    hmmm...not a fan of the idea...can't say that it doesn't fit in with the hollywood studios theme, but I really don't think it will work out the way Disney wants it too
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    I dont think anyone is outraged by the idea, more like, WHY? I agree with Thumper, I dont think that is going to work out the way they plan it.
    People are on vacation. Unless you are very serious about getting on the show, it would be a waste of time. Also they plan on giving you "passes/tickets/?" to audition for real when it comes to your area. What about those who do get those "passes" and have no way to get to those real auditions or change their minds about it, therefore wasting a chance for someone who is very serious about it. At some point the fact that those "passes" are going to waste is going to leak back to the public and those serious ppl are going to start getting ticked because THEY could have been the ones there. Get what I am saying?

Disney needs to think this thru a bit better and maybe just make it something for fun like the Millionaire game was. Win some little prize and go home happy.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast