Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Did DIsney trick people with Hannah Montana Movie? in the News & Rumors forums; Hurry, hurry, hurry! The movie event of the year! One week only! It's one of the oldest tricks in the marketing book – the limited-time offer – and The Walt ...
    unc23 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Did DIsney trick people with Hannah Montana Movie?

Hurry, hurry, hurry! The movie event of the year! One week only! It's one of the oldest tricks in the marketing book – the limited-time offer – and The Walt Disney Co. worked it to perfection last weekend when tweens spent $31.3 million to see the studio's latest hit, "Hannah Montana & Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert." But now that the 3-D film's run has been extended, were parents duped into rushing their kids to the theater? Or was it just another case of Disney's marketing mastery?

To be linked to the rest of the article click here
    The #1 Weekly Newsletter for Disney Information. Make sure to sign up to receive our weekly Disney newsletter:

http://wdwnewsletter.com

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    uh-huh.... so this article is asserting that the only reason parents took their kids to see the movie *at all* is because they thought it was only going to last for a week? I find that most illogical. They only took their kids to the movie *that week* because they thought it was only going to last a week. If they knew it was going to last a month, they still would have taken their kids, just perhaps not that particular week. So what's the point? Why does it matter which week they went?

unc23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I think that so many parents felt like this was tehir only chance to get to see HM at a "cheap price" and for a limited time, so they rushed out to see it. MAybe its more of a "repeat business" that Disney is hoping for?
    The #1 Weekly Newsletter for Disney Information. Make sure to sign up to receive our weekly Disney newsletter:

http://wdwnewsletter.com

DisneyGuy87 is offline Annual Passholder
    I don't buy it. Look at the concerts, they sell out like crazy don't they? The box office for this movie would have exploded either way. Granted the first weekend sales might have looked a little different. I don't think it would make a huge difference.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    DIsney started hinting that they might extend the run if it were popular before the movie started showing in the theaters. They also extended the Nightmare Before Christmas 3D run that was supposed to have only been for 3 weeks last fall. It's nothing new.
    The only ones that made out with the "limited engagement" were scalpers, and the only ones deceived were the parents crazy enough to buy tickets for more than face value.

One big reason Disney (or any studio) hypes up a movie for opening week: Profit. From what I understand, when a movie plays in a theater, for the first two weeks nearly 100% of the revenue from ticket sales goes to the studio, not the theater (they get a small operating fee). After two weeks, the studio might get 90%, the theater 10% of the revenue. The next week after that it becomes more like 80/40, and continues to drop after that so the theaters get more of the take. A blockbuster opening week means big bucks go to the studios. A film that has a smaller opening week, but stays in theaters longer, doesn't earn as much for the studio because it shares more of the profit with the movie theaters.

Most films have huge drops in attendance from opening week to the second wee, so that opening week is critical to the studios to recoup their investment in making the film to begin with.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

disney95 is offline A-Ticket holder
    That movie was just to make money. They said it would be one week only so they can raise the price on the movie tickets and make lots of money. Then, they probably saw how much they made and they continued it to make more. You can see half of the movie on TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disney95 View Post
    That movie was just to make money.
    Uh. Yeah. And that's opposed to all the other movies out there?

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I don't think anyone was duped or tricked. The way I see it, they didn't go to see the movie just because it'd be out for only a week... they went to see it because they wanted to (or their kids begged and begged and begged). Those same people would've still SEEN the movie, just not that first week.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

heatherhy01 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I agree, I do not think that Disney tricked any parents into taking their kids. We went to see it and I thought it was great!!! Miley Cyrus is a hard worker.

"When people laugh at Mickey Mouse, it's because he's so human; and that is the secret of his popularity."
    -Walt Disney

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't think that Disney expected that the Best of Both Worlds Tour would sell as good as it has because of the fact it is $15.00 for a 3 hour 3-D movie and it is a concert. I don't think there have been many concerts released theatres have made a decent hit on the market like the Best of Both Worlds Tour did.