Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Nestle Pulling Sponsorship in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by BamaJenn Hmm... well I never heard that rumor so..... we'll just go with pretending it wouldn't have happened. This is what I found by snooping on Wikipedia ...
    coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Hmm... well I never heard that rumor so..... we'll just go with pretending it wouldn't have happened.
    This is what I found by snooping on Wikipedia.

In 1997, Fujifilm, (Kodak's biggest rival at the time) came to Disney with an offer: make Journey into Imagination into a thrill ride that had nothing to do with imagination. Kodak's sponsorship contract was almost up, and Fujifilm knew that when the contract ran out, Disney would need someone to sponsor the building. Kodak, however, wished to stay with Disney and continue the contract. Kodak realized that in order to compete with Fujifilm, they too must come up with a new attraction to go into the building. Their proposal was to make Journey Into Imagination, already an E-Ticket attraction, into something more scientific. The ride would also be shorter and have cheaper special effects. At the time, Journey Into Imagination was the most expensive ride in Epcot to keep running, despite the fact that it got more visitors in a day than Epcot's flagship ride Spaceship Earth. The guests made it all worthwhile for Disney to keep it running, but Disney still wasn't satisfied with it. It was the most technologically advanced dark ride in history. A roller coaster would mean much more money to build and keep running, and they feared it wouldn't be nearly as popular as Journey Into Imagination. Therefore, by the end of 1997, Disney accepted Kodak's idea.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Well, much as I love Wiki... we all know it's user written so... I'll just continue to believe it wouldn't have happened. k? k! thanks! LOL!!

Regardless, my concern about Nestle pulling out the Land hasn't changed. The whole imagination thing was a side bar.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    We heard from two different CM's last August that Kodak is not renewing their contract either. Property wide.....which means all of those "Kodak Spots" will most likely disappear or change.
    It's hard to imagine Kodak pulling out of Disney isn't it. They have been around since Disneyland. Art Linkletter was selling cameras on DL's opening day special. And, if I can't get a Tollhouse Cookie on Main Street, I'm going to be darn disappointed!
    “To all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.”

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    haven't heard anything, so it could be a rumor!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    If Nestle pulls in the Land an Airline could always take over with Soarin in there!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 – Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 – Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    If Nestle pulls in the Land an Airline could always take over with Soarin in there!
    And get complimentary bags of peanuts or pretzels too?

angharad is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    We heard from two different CM's last August that Kodak is not renewing their contract either. Property wide.....which means all of those "Kodak Spots" will most likely disappear or change.
    I heard recently that Kodak is dropping their sponsorship of the Olympics after this summer, also. I guess they're not game for sponsoring anyone any more.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    hmm...I wonder if Nestle really is leaving...if they are, I hope the pavilion doesn't go down the drain....
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Lou is usually very good about not spreading unfounded rumors and Nestle pulling their sponsorship came from his podcast.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

redheadbrown is offline Annual Passholder
    If Nestle dose pull out, the sponsor would have to be a food company.
    -Zac

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    Can I ask a dumb question? Why do they need sponsors? Does the Disney corporation not make enough to run the rides etc without a sponsor?
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Quote Originally Posted by princessariel View Post
    Can I ask a dumb question? Why do they need sponsors? Does the Disney corporation not make enough to run the rides etc without a sponsor?
    I'm sure someone will hit you up with a much more detailed answer than this BUT... the brief version is that the sponsor helps to cover the costs of the attraction(s) in exchange for some plugs here and there for their company. Yes, of course Disney can "afford" to do it... but why spend money if you don't have to? Plus, everyone benefits.

I think the sponsorships are used to cut costs on the attractions and in turn the company gets "free" advertising the same way as an arena buys naming rights. Like by me the new Phoenix Cardinals stadium's naming rights are owned by University of Phoenix Online which promotes their school at different sections of the arena, much like Energizer did at Star Tours on the movie posters after you exit the ride. So in reality it is win-win for Disney and the sponsor of the ride/attraction/restaurant in Coca-Cola's case.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Have you seen this yet? Disney's house of the future. (Unable to make new thread, so I put it here.)

Disney Revives 'House of the Future'
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Hmm, it maybe a Disneyland version of the Epcot House of Innoventions inside Innoventions.
    Last edited by coasterfreak516; 02-13-2008 at 01:37 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast