Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss SEGWAY"S not yet in the News & Rumors forums; Originally Posted by mritty Have you actually used a Segway? I think you underestimate the effect on your legs of (effectively) standing in one spot for hours on end. I ...
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    Have you actually used a Segway? I think you underestimate the effect on your legs of (effectively) standing in one spot for hours on end. I took the two hour Around the World tour, and my legs hurt a heck of a lot more after that than they did during any two hours of actually walking the park.
    No I haven't, but I would imagine it would be like anything else new you try. Usually when you do something new that uses muscles that you may not normally use, you could be sore until you get used to it. I would just like the option available for my Mom is she so chose to use it.

I'm not trying to start a debate with you. I was just stating my opinion that I think it would be a valuable tool for MY Mother. MS can affect people in very different ways and there is certainly a wide range of physical limitations. What one person can/can't do with MS can be very different from what the next person with MS can/can't do.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Won't hold up in court? Disney is demonstrating that they are safe by having a CM on one
    After taking a training course.

, defeats that argument. Tours, generating money with them around other guests at resorts
    After taking a training course and signing a waiver.

, defeats that argument. Offers free rides on them after a 20 minute class.
    After signing a waiver.

Disney is not exactly making a case for dangerous.
    You're making my point for me. All the people who Disney allows to ride Segways have given up their right to bring legal action against Disney for anything that goes wrong while on the Segways. They do that because they know legal action would be brought against them otherwise.

Unless Disney is able to make each and every Segway owner sign a similar release, or unless a new law mandates that they must allow Segways onto their private property, it ain't going to happen.

Tour in back end of Epcot while back gate is open to guests also. If and when the Segway is ADA compliant and approved Disney will loose it's option to ban them to the disabled. At that time it would have to be standard to test out people to bring in their own segway, unless it was standard for other electric type vehicles. Discrimination.
    I do not think that word means what you think it means. Discrimination applies to people, not to their possessions.

Kinda like the AP and the Dining Plan.
    Never say never.
    That's a perfectly valid point. I'm simply expressing my OPINION that it's not going to happen, that Disney will continue to fight it tooth and nail. I don't know the future any better than you do.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe View Post
    The segways at Disney are locked into the slowest mode available. If people are allowed to bring their own for use in the parks, I suspect there would be no way to control the speed limitation on the vehicle. This could be a major problem. (IMHO)

This is where a bunch of the problem comes in. Disney can't control what speed they are used at.

CMs at Epcot can use 'slow or medium' speed while around the park. However the fast speed could potentially be used by a guest. The top speed is 12.5 mph. That is pretty fast especially in large crowds and tight spaces like at MK.

Disney does currently let guests use the Segway Wheelchair with one limitation: it must be used on all four wheels, not two.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Are helmets worn on the Segway tour? I have no idea.

I think a lot more rules will need to be in place not only for the disabled person's safety but for the safety of all park visitors. Right now, they may not have all of the rules in place or the research to make good decisions. Just because one park does it doesn't mean that all should do it. Sometimes it is better to have other parks work the bugs out of the system so you can put a quality system in place where you don't have to make as many decisions. Give it time. It will all work out.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    Are helmets worn on the Segway tour? I have no idea.
    Yes.

Name:  segway.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  33.9 KB
    Last edited by mritty; 02-23-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: adding pic

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Wow. I have to say I am taken a back by the passion some have about keeping disabled from using their Segways. I've only seen this type of vigor once before, attempting to curb the disabled independent life style once prior. Guide Dogs. Then too the public outcry was very similar. The hoops able body people put disabled through is mind boggling. Yet today Guide Dogs are allowed on planes, trains, schools and restaurants, even theme parks. Disabled have demonstrated that they can be responsible citizens with their Guide Dogs and I am betting they would be as responsible in a Disney Theme Park as they are in the other Theme Parks they are currently allowed in. Those theme parks are not revoking their use or reporting any more incidents than their stroller or EVC vehicles are currently causing. Any Segway can be lowered to a minimum speed that can be easily be inspected as are our purses and bags. Segways are far more agile than a cart is.

Walt Disney World Park Update (Walt Disney World Park Update) by Mark Goldhaber on February 25, 2008
    A Mouseplanet article is stating that 'Disney Will allow Segway users to use a cart or wheel chair.' Interesting choice of words. Further the additional cost of $35 per day & 5 deposit and a $500.00 credit card imprint deposit to rent. Supply limited. Costly to the disabled but a profitable policy to Disney.

Segway users are well into the formal process of having Segways declared an AD vehicle. They are using the other ADA friendly venues as case examples.
    Disney will be in the position to counter those examples. Can't imagine it will be pretty. The judges ruling is solely due to the fact the disabled did not have reservations to visit Disney. With all of the disabled veterans now having and receiving Segways from veteran groups it is only a matter of time before the Veteran's make a stand. Brings new meaning to Support Our Troops. Can you just use your imagination to the veterans group that brings a camera crew to Disney to document the CM's turning a Disabled Veteran away from their park or taking their Segway away and having them rent a cart. I think disabilities are a mind set. Some will fight tooth and nail to stand in the way of the disabled making their life's more complicated then they already are. Others will advocate and work with the disabled. Some just make up problems that really never materialize. Icky.

It will be interesting to come back to this thread in months to come to see how this plays out in court. Even more interesting if Disney eventually accepts Segways like they eventually accepted Guide Dogs.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    HauntedGabe,

I'm going to preface this statement with the fact that I am on the side of the argument that wants Segways in the park.

But, as with wheelchairs and ECVs, it isn't just about those people covered of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Not everyone you see in a wheelchair or ECV is considered disabled. If you break your leg, you may get a wheelchair or ECV because the thought of walking EPCOT with a walking cast on wasn't that ideal for you. I wouldn't considered you disabled but rather injured.

You may have an elderly person who just wants to enjoy the parks with their family without feeling tired all the time.

We are now in a time of HIPAA and Disney isn't about to cross any lines by requiring proof of medical necessity for these devices. So, now, anyone can get any of the approved mobility assistance devices.

I can see their side of the argument in that by letting the truly disabled people who are certified to be on a Segway into the park, they will have to let anyone who wants to bring a Segway into the park because they cannot ask for proof of disability.

Some disabilities are blatantly obvious, many are not.

Just playing devil's advocate
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I took the Segway class at Epcot and was surprised at how well I was able to handle my Segway. I have to be honest, though, and say that I'd be leery of people (IE, private citizens/guests) being permitted to use them in the parks. If they're not properly trained to use them (which I'm sure Disney CMs are), they might be traffic hazards. I can see people getting into collisions/hurt.

FYI-from Mouseplanet.

This shouldn't hurt the disabled folks who already own and have mastered their Segways
    and are willing to throttle down to turtle level.

Around the World at Epcot (More Mouse) by Adrienne Vincent-Phoenix on March 7, 2008

Re: SEGWAY"S not yet

From Mouse Plant today:

Segway suit against Disney dropped; settlement voided

A U.S. District Court ruling last Tuesday gives Disney a victory in a battle, but takes a hoped-for victory in a war from them. U.S. District Judge Gregory A. Presnell dismissed the lawsuit brought by three Midwesterners alleging that Walt Disney World had violated the Americans with Disabilities Act by not allowing them to use their Segway mobility devices in the theme parks. At the same time, however, Presnell not only vacated the settlement proposed between the parties that would allow Disney to continue its policy of banning all two-wheeled vehicles (including Segways) from its parks, but also noted that while this suit and these plaintiffs did not have appropriate standing to force a policy change, "Those interests may still be protected by other provisions of the ADA or state law."
    Presnell disqualified the case for these plaintiffs because, "All of the named Plaintiffs and objectors who testified in this case are able to use wheelchairs or scooters. Although some individuals may, with good reason, not want to use those devices and instead prefer to use a Segway, that preference—standing alone—is not essential to accessing Disney’s Parks. Although there may be some disabled individuals for whom an upright mobility device such a Segway—and not a wheelchair or some other “traditional” device—amounts to something that is essential, it remains a near physiological certainty that most people, regardless of disability, can sit from time to time.[…] With respect to the named Plaintiffs, in particular, there is simply no evidence that their use of a Segway is arguably essential to accessing Disney’s Parks."
    In the decision, Presnell noted, "The ADA concerned itself with much more than just eliminating physical barriers to access, but with advancing the 'stature' of persons with disabilities, protecting against the 'stigma' that is often associated with being disabled and promoting respect for 'the dignity of individuals with disabilities.'" He further noted in dismissing the suit that "Whether another provision of the ADA or state law can provide the relief that the named Plaintiffs seek is unclear. Apart from the courts, it may be the case that another branch has the initial responsibility to ensure that individuals with disabilities can take advantage of Segways to serve the broader goals of Title III. As to these named Plaintiffs, however, these are questions best left for another day."
    So what is the net result for Disney? The lawsuit and settlement are both no more. The deal to provide credits to the plaintiffs on future visits is null and void, but that money was negligible to Disney. The proposed Electric Standing Vehicle (ESV) that Disney would make available for those who wanted to stand had no standing in the decision, and it's unclear as to what the future of those vehicles will be. The big issue for Disney is that advocates for the disabled are now free to file further lawsuits, as there is no longer a proposed class-action settlement that would prevent future suits. Disability Rights Advocates For Technology (DRAFT)—a driving force in pushing for Disney to allow Segways in the parks—has hailed the decision and again called on Disney to allow Segways in the parks; however, it is unknown whether they are planning to find plaintiffs to file a new lawsuit under a different section of the ADA.
    We'll keep an eye out and will report any future lawsuits on this issue.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

Good to hear an outcome finally

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

ECV's are VERy VERY much abused at WDW. i would guess that over 50% of the users, simply DONT truely need them.
    Yes, many folks DO, and should certainly continue to use them.
    Segways have absolutely ZERO need to be in WDW, period.
    I dont mind the tours, they are regulated, so to speak.
    But for everyone else that "says" they need one to "get around" lol...ah no.
    Disney will win this everytime or at least tie it up for years and years to come.
    I feel for the folks that need them, they are the real victims here.
    Because of the ridiculous abuse, the ones with the need are looked upon as abusers themselves.
    But to the abusers.....KARMA will get ya.

I can't dispute most of what you have said. But those carts are a real money maker for Disney so more and more are available. I do have a problem with No under any circumstances. I am a real supporter of our
    armed forces, vets and especially our disabled vets. The below is enlightening.

www.draft.org/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12