Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss SEGWAY"S not yet in the News & Rumors forums; Did anyone see the news reports yesterday that the judge threw out the suit against Disney from a Chicago woman? She sued over not being able to use her segway ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

SEGWAY"S not yet

Did anyone see the news reports yesterday that the judge threw out the suit against Disney from a Chicago woman? She sued over not being able to use her segway at WDW for her disabling MS and would be forced to rent a chair or a cart. Segway was for her disability. Judge did not dismiss because of lack of merit. Judge dismissed because she didn't have a vacation yet planned for her to use the Segway. So I'm sure it will be coming back as the Segways are going to be used by more disabled people in the future. Report said why would you book a vacation if you were being barred from using the Segway. Judge said can't rule on a hypothetical vacation.

This one should be interesting.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't have MS or know any one that does but...I would think a wheelchair/chair cart would be easier on someone than a segway.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    My mother has MS. She can't stand for more than 20 or 30 minutes. I have no idea how the Segway would be even a little bit helpful.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've seen one woman litterly get run over by a lady in an ECV while standing in the pre-show for the Living Seas shortly before they changed it over to Nemo. I can't imagine how a Segway would be better for the disabled, or how it would be better for the saftey of the others around them. I can just imagine some little kid getting mowed over by someone who doesn't know how to use a Segway properly.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

Note: Just Reiterating our local news this morning.

I'll look for local newspaper version, they normally have additional
    information, more than the TV.

I know veterans groups are purchasing Segways for some veterans coming back without limbs to facilitate their recovery. It will be interesting to hear if they are allowed at Shades of Green. The woman, l of 3 that has filed suit against Disney has MS. It did not say what disabilities the other 2 individuals
    had. My gut is this isn't going away. Apparently two other parks in the Orlando area already allow Segways. I've seen a Disney "shirt" tootling all around Epcot on one. My DD and I took the Mini Class and rode the segways at Innoventions at Thanksgiving. DD has been in a wheelchair, cart and now just tried the Segway. She liked the Segway. I was amazed at how easy it is to operate and stops on a dime. No breaking required.

I agree that the Electric Carts do harm people as do strollers. Disney's response is to rent more carts in more areas. Don't see carts going away anymore than I see strollers going away. If I was a betting lady my money is Segways are here and coming to a venue near you and I'm betting to Disney also. Nothing raises more fury that denying a disabled veteran. I think that will be the 'ole camels back in due time. We'll see.

The Epcot CMs you've seen have to take a special class to be able to ride the Segways. If you take the Around the World On Segway tour, you have to sign a waiver. Also during the lecture portion, they very specifically state that the 1 hour instruction you get here does not qualify you to own or operate a Segway, nor is it sufficient training for CMs to be able to use them in their jobs.

My Mom has MS as well and her being able to use a Segway at the parks would be a wonderful thing for her! A lot of people look at my Mom and would never guess that she has MS or anything wrong with her for that matter, but the walking and heat do get to her and the Segway would certainly be a helpful tool! She is not bad enough at this time to require a wheelchair and rightfully so doesn't want to start using one until it is absolutely necessary.

I do however think that the Segway's should not be rented unless people have went through a training course first.

I cannot imagine that the use of a Segway (by people who have been through the proper training) would be anymore dangerous than some of the people out there 'armed' with ECV's or strollers for that matter!

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Well, the one thing an ECV has going against it is that it has a lot more mass behind it than a segway. If my recollection of highschool physics is correct, Force = Mass x Acceleration. So, it might be easier to convert an ECV into a defensive linebacker than a segway
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    So, it might be easier to convert an ECV into a defensive linebacker than a segway
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    The Epcot CMs you've seen have to take a special class to be able to ride the Segways. If you take the Around the World On Segway tour, you have to sign a waiver. Also during the lecture portion, they very specifically state that the 1 hour instruction you get here does not qualify you to own or operate a Segway, nor is it sufficient training for CMs to be able to use them in their jobs.
    Yep, I signed the waiver for my daughter and myself. But we were participants. Guests do not have to waiver a use of a privately owed wheelchair, electric cart or Electric wheelchair. I highly doubt they would require a waiver of a private Segway only. The disabled folks that own these Segways might already know how to use them much like the CM's you have described prior to their arrival at Disney World. Physically disabled folks most often have the mental capabilities to purchase and learn to operate these type of aides. I myself would never under estimate a determined disable person. Much like an electric wheelchair, if they own one they probably didn't take it out the first time at WDW. Ft. Wilderness takes people out for several hours, daily. This kinda demonstrates the ease of operation and that the learning curve being short. Segways can be programed to go extremely slow. Kansas city and the City of Chicago have multiple touring packages on Segways. Kansas has one through the zoo. I was only on one for 20 minutes but pretty well mastered the basics and when I faltered it stops. Great safety feature. I found it to better and safer than the carts. Hope if you ever have a 2nd chance to ride a segway you have a better experience. I'm sold (and fortunate enough not to need to purchase one for a disability.)

Now if you want to discuss Disney renting Segways for the day or length of stay like the carts it is a different debate. Thank goodness for the Americans with disabilities Act or these folks would be dependant on others for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    Well, the one thing an ECV has going against it is that it has a lot more mass behind it than a segway. If my recollection of highschool physics is correct, Force = Mass x Acceleration. So, it might be easier to convert an ECV into a defensive linebacker than a segway
    Well Stated!
    Vet Link: http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?

storyid=140588 http://www.publicaffairs.ubc.ca/ubcreports/2007/07jan04/segways.html
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 02-22-2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: link

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Yep, I signed the waiver for my daughter and myself. But we were participants. Guests do not have to waiver a use of a privately owed wheelchair, electric cart or Electric wheelchair. I highly doubt they would require a waiver of a private Segway only. The disabled folks that own these Segways might already know how to use them much like the CM's you have described prior to their arrival at Disney World.
    While that is a perfectly logical argument, it won't hold up in court. The first time some idiot who isn't properly trained on a Segway falls down, or worse, runs someone else over, Disney will be taken to the cleaners. And that's why Disney won't allow them, same reason they currently forbid those sneakers with wheels on them.

ECVs and Wheelchairs are different because you're already sitting, and have a ridiculously low chance of hurting yourself by using one.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    My Mom has MS as well and her being able to use a Segway at the parks would be a wonderful thing for her! A lot of people look at my Mom and would never guess that she has MS or anything wrong with her for that matter, but the walking and heat do get to her and the Segway would certainly be a helpful tool! She is not bad enough at this time to require a wheelchair and rightfully so doesn't want to start using one until it is absolutely necessary.
    Have you actually used a Segway? I think you underestimate the effect on your legs of (effectively) standing in one spot for hours on end. I took the two hour Around the World tour, and my legs hurt a heck of a lot more after that than they did during any two hours of actually walking the park.

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    The segways at Disney are locked into the slowest mode available. If people are allowed to bring their own for use in the parks, I suspect there would be no way to control the speed limitation on the vehicle. This could be a major problem. (IMHO)
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    While that is a perfectly logical argument, it won't hold up in court. The first time some idiot who isn't properly trained on a Segway falls down, or worse, runs someone else over, Disney will be taken to the cleaners. And that's why Disney won't allow them, same reason they currently forbid those sneakers with wheels on them.

ECVs and Wheelchairs are different because you're already sitting, and have a ridiculously low chance of hurting yourself by using one.
    Won't hold up in court? Disney is demonstrating that they are safe by having a CM on one, defeats that argument. Tours, generating money with them around other guests at resorts, defeats that argument. Offers free rides on them after a 20 minute class. Disney is not exactly making a case for dangerous. Tour in back end of Epcot while back gate is open to guests also. If and when the Segway is ADA compliant and approved Disney will loose it's option to ban them to the disabled. At that time it would have to be standard to test out people to bring in their own segway, unless it was standard for other electric type vehicles. Discrimination. If the other two parks are not getting hammered with lawsuits over the Segways that are being allowed in those claims will also fall by the wayside. If I were a Disney ADA Compliant CM I'd be making arrangements for buses, monorails etc to accommodate these vehicles in the near future. Just like they had to get used to Guide Dogs. And all the folks that said that would never happen, not hold up in court, Never ever happen. Sneakers and skateboards are an unkind comparison to a device that aides a disable person. Not even apples and oranges. Kinda like the AP and the Dining Plan.
    Never say never.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast