Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Block Party Bash Expectations in the News & Rumors forums; This is my review of Disney's Hollywood Studios newest parade. I would love to hear your thoughts if you have seen it. Disney’s Hollywood Studios recently imported a new afternoon ...
    unc23 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Block Party Bash Expectations

This is my review of Disney's Hollywood Studios newest parade. I would love to hear your thoughts if you have seen it.

Disney’s Hollywood Studios recently imported a new afternoon “parade” called the Block Party Bash from Disneyland in California. This “parade” replaced the Stars and Motorcars Parade at Disney-MGM Studios.

OK you may be wondering why I placed the term “parade” in quotes…well this event isn’t a true “parade”. To me, a Disney parade is something that has music, floats, characters, and other performers, all of which Disney’s Block Party Bash has. The major difference though is that Disney’s other parades are for the most part constantly moving throughout their route from beginning to end.

Disney’s Block Party Bash is a bit different. What it does is move along a bit and then stop. The characters and other performers will sing and dance in front of you for about 10 minutes and then the “parade” moves further along the route and they will perform the same show again for the next set of guests. This is great because it allows you a longer period of time to see some of your favorite Toy Story characters, instead of the traditional “drive by and wave” parades.

I have found one potential flaw though with the route. The old parade, Stars and Motorcars, began in the back of the park near Star Tours and moved to the front. Disney’s Block Party Bash begins at the front of the park and moves to the back. If you look at Disney’s Hollywood Studios map and follow the parade route, it looks like the parade will run all the way to Star Tours.

This is not correct. The actual parade ENDS right in front of Sounds Dangerous. Then the performers and characters move toward the exit by Star Tours, but they DO NOT perform, they just walk by. If you look on the map, the route makes you think that they will perform all the way back to Star Tours. If you are trying to find a place to sit for the parade in advance make sure that you do not set up camp past Sounds Dangerous.

The Block Party Bash is a nice change of pace for Disney’s traditional parades. Kids will love the bright colors of the outfits, characters, and floats. Kudos to Disney for trying something different!
    The #1 Weekly Newsletter for Disney Information. Make sure to sign up to receive our weekly Disney newsletter:

http://wdwnewsletter.com

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    That's a valuable piece of info about where not to wait to see the "parade". Thanks for the review!

I've seen a video of the Block Party Bash from when it was in DCA. It appears that once the 'parade' stops, you really only get to see the characters that are right in front of you. Was that your experience?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

yes that is correct. when they stop you are subject to whatever characters are directly in front of you.
    The #1 Weekly Newsletter for Disney Information. Make sure to sign up to receive our weekly Disney newsletter:

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Quote Originally Posted by unc23 View Post
    Disney’s Hollywood Studios recently imported a new afternoon “parade” called the Block Party Bash from Disneyland in California. This “parade” replaced the Stars and Motorcars Parade at Disney-MGM Studios.

OK you may be wondering why I placed the term “parade” in quotes…well this event isn’t a true “parade”. To me, a Disney parade is something that has music, floats, characters, and other performers, all of which Disney’s Block Party Bash has. The major difference though is that Disney’s other parades are for the most part constantly moving throughout their route from beginning to end.
    The show stops for Parades is nothing new to Disney. They have been doing them for some time. Most recently at WDW was the Share a Dream Come True Parade at MK. Over at DisneyLand, Walt Disney's Parade of Dreams currently does show stops along the route.

DisneyLove28 is offline Just your average Disney Princess!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    That's a valuable piece of info about where not to wait to see the "parade". Thanks for the review!

I've seen a video of the Block Party Bash from when it was in DCA. It appears that once the 'parade' stops, you really only get to see the characters that are right in front of you. Was that your experience?
    If you stand in the right spot, and you're between floats, you get to see more and I found if you get a spot just to the right of the empty ABC building which is next to Sounds Dangerous (and that would be to the right if you're facing these buildings) you'll have a great view and you'll get to see a lot of what's gonig on!
    ~*~...it's a small world after all...~*~

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

C'mon everybody! Let's all clap our hands and dance in a circle!

Trendy no other Disney parade stops for 11 minutes in one spot.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    The parade they had for Disney's 25th anniversary was the first one that made 'show stops' where the guests were invited to get up and participate. They'd give out stickers to people along the curb and when the parade stopped at certain points those with the stickers got up and did some activity with the characters - I remember being in the conga line with the fish from The Little Mermaid. I don't know how long it was stopped, but it had to be at least 5 minutes. But the big difference I see there was that the rest of the parade was still a parade, with music and all just like a traditional parade. I also believe it stopped more than once within the duration of viewing the parade from one spot, though not exactly in the same spot, but I'm not certain of that anymore.

Block Party Bash seems to be more like "We're coming" announcements, then a stop for the show, then "good bye" as it walks off to the next stop? Or is there really enough of a parade such that if you were to watch the entire thing from somewhere it didn't stop you'd think you saw a traditional parade?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

I think that when you only have the Toy Story Characters you are limited to how long the parade can be, thus a 10+ minute stop occasionally in the route.

I'm still looking forward to seeing it! We love the Pixar characters and MGM was long overdue for a new parade!

Quote Originally Posted by unc23 View Post
    I think that when you only have the Toy Story Characters you are limited to how long the parade can be, thus a 10+ minute stop occasionally in the route.
    It's not just the Toy Story characters is an all Pixar parade!

DisneyLove28 is offline Just your average Disney Princess!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Block Party Bash seems to be more like "We're coming" announcements, then a stop for the show, then "good bye" as it walks off to the next stop? Or is there really enough of a parade such that if you were to watch the entire thing from somewhere it didn't stop you'd think you saw a traditional parade?
    I guess you could say it's more of a show than a parade for the fact that it doesn't move for 10-15 minutes. There's CMs dancing all over the place and really getting the crowd into it, and then you have the main drill sargent army man for each section, and 3 large floats. One being for Toy Story, one for Monster's Inc. and one for It's a Bug's Life. There are mini-floats and props in between too, though. But I would say it's more like a show you would stop and see on the street, it's just longer and you don't get to see every part directly in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    I'm still looking forward to seeing it! We love the Pixar characters and MGM was long overdue for a new parade!
    It is totally awesome! I loved it! You'll have a blast!
    ~*~...it's a small world after all...~*~

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

C'mon everybody! Let's all clap our hands and dance in a circle!

Kymie is offline B-Ticket Holder
    It looks fun but Im just sad there are no more characters like The Muppets or Bear in the Big Blue House alongside it