Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney to Start Selling HM Pins to Public in the News & Rumors forums; I got this from WDW News Today: Hidden Mickey, Exposed Wallets In what has to be one of the most controversial decisions made in Disney merchandising, they will now actually ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Exclamation Disney to Start Selling HM Pins to Public

I got this from WDW News Today:

Hidden Mickey, Exposed Wallets

In what has to be one of the most controversial decisions made in Disney merchandising, they will now actually be selling Hidden Mickey pins to the public. For those of you who are not aware, Hidden Mickey pins (formerly known as Cast Lanyard Pins) were only available by trade from a WDW Cast Member off of their lanyard, until now. These pins, which have been appearing in some form for over seven years, are now being exploited for cash. Here is the official Disney information release:

Starting May 4, 2008, Guests will have two ways to start or complete their Hidden Mickey pin collections:

TRADING with Disney Cast Members and Guests or
    PURCHASING a new Hidden Mickey Mystery Pouch

At participating locations, select Hidden Mickey pins will be released in colorful mystery pouches for $10.00 each (plus tax)*. Each pouch will contain two (2) randomly assorted pins from a particular Hidden Mickey pin series.

Magic Kingdom® Park - Hidden Mickey Mystery Pouch - Rubber Ducks

Epcot® - Hidden Mickey Mystery Pouch - Disney Villains

Disney’s Hollywood StudiosTM -Hidden Mickey Mystery Pouch - Muppets Characters

Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park - Hidden Mickey Mystery Pouch - Disney Bears

Downtown Disney® Marketplace - Hidden Mickey Mystery Pouch - Disney Princesses

As many of you know, we usually do not take a negative stance towards anything done by the Walt Disney Company, but this is one of those cases where we feel Disney needs to hear our opinions. While pin trading has always been an expensive hobby, why would you hurt the one part of the pin trading experience that was not available on a rack for sale? Hopefully this is only a temporary promotion and Hidden Mickey pins will return to being exclusive to trading, not to selling.
    Last edited by disneyfanatic101; 05-05-2008 at 05:06 PM.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    This is yet another reason why I no longer purchase extras of pins for trading at a later date. Disney just wants to make more many by any means, and they don't care how it affects their guests.

Imagine how boring it will be at the September pin event. Everyone will know that if you don't find the new pins on the trading board, you can just purchase them later.

P.S. I wish people would spell out Hidden Mickey. My one track mind sees "HM" and automatically thinks "Haunted Mansion"!
    Lisa

"No capes!"

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I'm not a pin trader, but correct me if I'm understanding this wrong. The article says that they are going to sell SOME of the pins from the series, in very select locations, in sealed mystery pouches (so that you can not tell what pins are inside) for 2 pins for $10. Not an easy way to collect a series of pins!

Sounds more like a way to get rid of some surplus inventory than a way to make a bunch of money.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    I'm not a pin trader, but correct me if I'm understanding this wrong. The article says that they are going to sell SOME of the pins from the series, in very select locations, in sealed mystery pouches (so that you can not tell what pins are inside) for 2 pins for $10. Not an easy way to collect a series of pins!

Sounds more like a way to get rid of some surplus inventory than a way to make a bunch of money.
    Exactly what I was thinking. I'm not that much of a trader either, but I just don't understand how this is such a big deal. You have no idea what you're getting, but at least it's a gurantee that you'd find 2, rather than hunting down CMs in hopes to find a HM pin. Not everyone's a serious trader, some are probably either just starting or getting the hang of it and this would make it a little easier to find a HM pin which would probably make them even more of a trading fanatic. Plus, who doesn't love a "mystery bag" with "2 surprises inside!"

I am not a pin trader but I am a pin collector.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfanatic101 View Post
    I am not a pin trader but I am a pin collector.
    So then this is good news for you then, giving you a better chance at finding what you want

No not really, I don't like buying "Mystery Sets" because if I don't want to get doubles then I'll have nothing to do with them. I just stick to single pins or pins in a set that I can see.

fantasyland is offline where everyone is happy no matter what their name is
    I love to trade and collect pins. This is sad. Those pins were always special because you could not buy them. I was always excited when i saw a castmember with them.
    I wish I was at Disney World. It is the best place ever

I'm watching you, Wazowski. Always watching. Always

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post

I reread the article again and I took away the same thoughts; getting rid of surplus pins. Those pins that you traded for won't be as "special" as you once considered them and it will be very difficult to collect a series. I'm glad I'm a collector and not a trader. I just buy a pin now and again that I really like.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    not the best hidden mickeys ive seen. haha!
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio