Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss “What is the best advice you can give to others who are about to go to WDW? in the News & Rumors forums; As mentioned Happy Feet & keep hydrated (Sorry no soda kids) I like to sit on a bench and watch the visitors go by for a short rest. If you ...
    Muzikman7 is offline A-Ticket holder
    As mentioned Happy Feet & keep hydrated (Sorry no soda kids) I like to sit on a bench and watch the visitors go by for a short rest. If you can afford it stay on the property I like the Wilderness Lodge myself, although some may disagree I always have a car at my disposal I like to visit other places in Fla. plus for snackes you can drive yourself to the local market and stock up. The last I went three years ago I bought an inexpensive cooler for the room. The last item is the money, every time I've been in either park There's always been more than a few people looking at how much money they have spent and more than a few times I've witnessed couples fighting about it. As my deceased aunt Millie would say; "I can see people wanting to come here to go to Disney for the day in the park, but anybody who buys a bunch of junk there toys etc. is a fool. I know its hard to say no, but I'd keep it at one item each and if they want more have them save up so they'll have extra spending. Have Fun!
    Last edited by Muzikman7; 11-29-2009 at 11:39 AM.

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: “What is the best advice you can give to others who are about to go to WDW?

Start taking walks around your neighborhood or on the treadmill a couple of weeks before you go. Alot of first timers don't realize how much walking and standing a person will do, and then be very sore the next day. Shoes are very important, we always shake our heads in disbelief when we see high heels being worn. Take breaks, find an off the path bench and watch people and soak in the magic. Accept the fact that you will pay more for anything inside the parks. Accept the fact that there will be lots and lots of people, and yes, even rude people. Most of all have fun!!!!!!!

lollerstace is offline A-Ticket holder

as someone who's been as a kid and now a cast member, i'd say the two most important things are to have fun and have some idea of what you're going to do.

whenever i'd take friends around the parks with me, they loved it because it was like tourguide stacy. i got us on as many rides as possible, knew the quickest path from point a to point b, knew when to get fast passes for what, etc. this all came from years of this being ingraved in my head as a kid. we were that family that was at the rope drop ready to run at park open, sending my brother ahead to get fastpasses for one ride while we did something else, daily itineraries made, etc., trying to squeeze every last second out of our disney trips. did i enjoy it? definitely! but, as a word of caution on this to families with kids especially, this is where having fun trumps being organized, in my opinion.

as a kid i remember way too many fights, upset feelings, etc., as we were trying so hard to do everything that fun wasn't one of the things happening anymore. as a cast member i've seen this happening to families too, having flashbacks to my own childhood while in the parks, fights in the happiest place on earth over the silliest things, instead of just stopping, relaxing, and enjoying what they can get done and understanding that they won't do everything.

so does planning make things more enjoyable? certainly. but so does just taking in the scenery and relaxing. i, for one, prefer this way of enjoying the parks now much more than the hectic rush around. (i suppose it doesn't hurt though that as a cast member, i've had a lot more time to enjoy everything than many people do ) so read a few guide books, figure out your must do's, take into consideration all the time tips you can find online, but just enjoy your time and have fun, and everything else'll work itself out. and if you find you didn't get everything done, become a cast member so you can play all the time.
    a dream is a wish your heart makes, when you're fast asleep.

edwardsfire is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    My best advice is to not take it so seriously. Have a fun, laid back trip and it'll be something you talk about for years to come. Try to plan every step of the way, every ride and in what order, every minute... and you'll just end up frustrated and irritated when it doesn't go the way you had planned. Take a moment to step back and enjoy where you are. Look at the theming and the story telling the Imagineers have worked so hard to create. Find the magic.
    110% agreed

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough

where to find the dole whips.
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando

I work with college students, so I encourage them to go to WDW with their friend for Spring Break, or just any time for a vacation. Usually, they'll be like, "Oh, I haven't been since I was a kid." I'll tell them that WDW is even more fun as an adult (which is true, btw).

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder

My advice would be to make sure you stop and appreciate everything around you. Just remember that everything you see came from somebody's imagination...and you are now living it. Take time to stop and smell the roses...literally.
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

My best advice is "Slow down!" I see too many first-timers rushing from place to place and they are clearly trying to "Get their money's worth" figuring that since they spent an arm and a leg going to WDW then they have to do everything. Those people usually go home more stressed than when they arrived. How many families have you seen looking miserable walking through the parks during your stay? They are all over the place! And they're usually the ones trying to hard to do too much. Let the park guide you. Go with the flow, look at the details of the place, the quality of work, the flowers, how certain areas of the park smell differently as you approach them. You could blindfold and earplug me and I could still tell you when I am in certain places in the Magic Kingdom just because of the distinct smells, Enjoy the details. If you don't, then you might as well be at Six Flags.
    Tim

1 small world is offline C-Ticket Holder

#1 - share meals - leaves room for the tasty snacks!
    #2 - do a character meal if you can spend the money - lots of autographs and they do a great job with food and meet and greet/photo time
    #3 - Epcot - do Soarin, and all the KidCots in world showcase - we even take pictures of the kids wearing hats from all the lands and we look for hidden Mickeys along the way - the kids say Epcot is their favorite park after MK

ctucker is offline A-Ticket holder

Comfortable shoes are a must, also sunscreen anytime of the year because you can get fried in the florida sun. We also make sure we wear clothing of synthetic fibers when we go to a park with a water ride: splash mtn, kali river, because even if you get soaked you're dry in 15 min. And also a hat if your bald.

Epcot_Don is offline D-Ticket Holder

The best advice I can give is to take your time! Don't try to cram too much into one day. You will enjoy yourself a whole lot more if you are not rushing around from the start of the day to end of the day. Set aside some down time to relax at your Resort. And if you are going for 6+ days, set aside an entire Leisure Day outside of the parks. You can explore Downtown Disney or maybe even a Resort that you have never been to before. Just remember: Your at Disney and your in the midst of creating some magical memories you'll cherish forever- so be sure that you take the time to enjoy that and soak it all in!
    "America, keep on flying now. Keep your spirit free. Facing new frontiers."

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

Allow yourself to enjoy WDW from your childrens' perspective.....Leave the outside world where it belongs.

dcbush12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I am from Ohio....far far from Disney World

let yourself be a kid again right away, dont waist one minute thinking im to old to like this ride or that show. Just let go and take in everything Disney has to offer1
    I'm the only one!!!!

Summer 1989---Offsite
    May 2005----Boardwalk
    July 2006----PORS
    Aug. 2008----Coronado Springs (Engaged!)
    Dec. 2009----POFC (Honeymoon!!)
    June 2010----PORS

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

A few have said it before but I have to agree. #1 on the list is RESEARCH!! You cannot just show up at Disneyworld and think you are going to walk around like it's your local amusement park. You have to plan sit down meals and make reservations. I think planning is more important then staying on property. #2 for me is to make a list of your favorite rides/attractions and do those. There are a lot of things to do at WDW and if you don't map out what you want to do you are going to spend too much time running around. And by all means people, HAVE FUN!!!! If you are stressed out by the crowds, the kids or your spouse then take time to sit down and relax!!!!
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

tuneboy is offline A-Ticket holder

We found when we went made a huge difference. Summer was too hot and too busy, the lines and crowds were painful. But mid November was ideal. It really made our trip much more fun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast