Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Chinese Cast Members in the News & Rumors forums; I've been at WDW for eight days now and one thing I've noticed is the huge number of Chinese cast members in all the parks, resorts, etc. My last visit ...
    dcaffey is offline A-Ticket holder

Chinese Cast Members

I've been at WDW for eight days now and one thing I've noticed is the huge number of Chinese cast members in all the parks, resorts, etc.

My last visit was October 2007 and I don't remember seeing them then.

Anyone know what the story is behind the influx of these Chinese CMs?

They are all extremely nice, enthusiastic and well trained and seem to be an asset to the magic.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Quote Originally Posted by dcaffey View Post
    I've been at WDW for eight days now and one thing I've noticed is the huge number of Chinese cast members in all the parks, resorts, etc.

My last visit was October 2007 and I don't remember seeing them then.

Anyone know what the story is behind the influx of these Chinese CMs?

They are all extremely nice, enthusiastic and well trained and seem to be an asset to the magic.

Possibly the International College Program.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Yep they are ICP's. Lots are arriving to help during the summer. Many of them will go on to work at Hong Kong DL.

Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic View Post
    Yep they are ICP's. Lots are arriving to help during the summer. Many of them will go on to work at Hong Kong DL.
    That makes sense because there doesn't seem to be very many 'regular' college programers around - this must be on off time for the CP.

ChipNDale is offline Yeah, my Rubber Duck wears a Tiara FCOL!
    Hey DCaffey... Just a side question for you... How do you like living in Memphis?! Would you recommend it to a young couple for which the Husband would be going to college in that city? Are there any engineering companies or manufacturing places to work?! Sorry to hijack the thread
    WHAFTFCOL now who wants a cookie!?!
    Copy Right of S&B LLC.
    SITTM... We have an App for that!

Yeah, I like Ninja Rubber Duckies FCOL!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic View Post
    That's what I was going to guess, but I had no proof to back up my theory.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale View Post
    Hey DCaffey... Just a side question for you... How do you like living in Memphis?! Would you recommend it to a young couple for which the Husband would be going to college in that city? Are there any engineering companies or manufacturing places to work?! Sorry to hijack the thread
    Well I have essentially lived in Memphis all my life so I'm a little biased. I like it a lot; it's a bit different and 'funkier' than other places. Like any city it's what you make of it. Some people love it and some people don't.

There are lots of medical engineering companies but I don't really know much about that kind of work. FedEx is the largest employer and they always have some type of work available. Very little manufacturing, at least large scale, left in the area. Memphis is 'America's Distribution Center' so lots of that type work (Disney Stores for example) but don't think it pays a lot.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Lots of ICPs... as ICPs cost disney less than CPs and there is a HUGE response in Asian countries of teens/young adults wanting to do a Disney CP.

So you'll probably see more and more Asian ICPs.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    Lots of ICPs... as ICPs cost disney less than CPs and there is a HUGE response in Asian countries of teens/young adults wanting to do a Disney CP.

So you'll probably see more and more Asian ICPs.
    Ok, I am curious as to how ICP's are cheaper than CP's. I couldn't imagine anything being lower than the Minimum wage (FL minimum is horrible compared to IL) receive and Disney charges them $300 a month rent with 6 per apartment, Disney makes $l,800.00 per month per apt. How is the ICP program more economical for Disney?

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Tax break from china's most favored nation status would be my fast guess. Also, international training credits and if the business owners in panama City are to be believed, a portion of the total cost is underwritten by the federal government. Our tax dollars hard at work. We talked to one at ASMu, and I asked if whe was homesick, she said no, I asked when she went home from WDW she said she may not if she could get out of it. Interesting. Panama City is overrun with all sorts of imported people they bring in to work the summer season. Last year it was mostly eastern block folks, but finding an english speaker is a real challenge.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

I certainly hope not, but it would not surprise me. Disney is certainly getting their moneys worth from the College Program without a tax break. I pulled my CP'ers pay stub.

40 hours @ 6.67/hr. $266.80
    Taxes & S.S. medicare - 35.80
    College Book - 12.00
    Rent (Apt. per week) - 71.00
    -----------

Take home pay $147.50

On top of that most CP's must pay tuition & take classes from their home
    college (to stay eligible for parents health insurance) for that semester.

We had to send money each week for him or he would not have had enough money to have any type of a social life and enjoyed WDW on a $l47.50 a week. My son was fortunate to work 40 hours a week. Disney only guarantee's 30 hours a week. This was the case with several of his 5 roommates during the slower weeks. But DS despite the poor pay and high rent had a blast. He would do it all over again.