Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Lawsuit Filed Against Disney! in the News & Rumors forums; I got this from WDW News Today: WASHINGTON: The Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF), the oldest and largest Sikh-American civil rights and advocacy organization in the US ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Exclamation Lawsuit Filed Against Disney!

I got this from WDW News Today:

WASHINGTON: The Sikh American Legal Defence and Education Fund (SALDEF), the oldest and largest Sikh-American civil rights and advocacy organization in the US has filed a class action suit against the Walt Disney World Company on behalf of Sukhbir Singh Channa.

Channa, a Sikh-American, had applied for a job with Disney in September 2006 but was told that he could not be hired unless he removed his religiously-mandated turban. He was also told that he did not have “the Disney look”. Witnesses have filed affidavits in his support. “There’s no legal or other justification for a company to repudiate an employee in the manner that Disney has repudiated Channa,” said SALDEF chairman Manjit Singh.

“Disney makes millions of dollars each year on cartoon characters that wear turbans but cannot respect the right of an American to wear a turban for religious reasons,” said Manjit Singh.
    This should be an interesting legal battle and could lead to big changes in the look of Cast Members at all the Disney resorts should this organization win. We’ll keep you posted on this story as more becomes available.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Ok-other than Aladdin what other character wears a turban?

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Hey Adam, I posted that over on Dark Side as well. What a mess, he cannot have it both ways. And Disney says they have no record of him even applying! What a joke.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Does he have a talent that only Disney can fulfill? Is a job with Disney the only one he is qualified for? I don't get it. I respect his choice of religion and being dedicated to it but the Amish are limited with jobs they will do too. Sorry- getting out of the discussion now.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    Ok-other than Aladdin what other character wears a turban?
    All of Aladdin's friends?

Anyways, I find it interesting how they say they're an equal opportunity employer, "drawing creativity from diversity" but not quite. I understand Disney wants their workers to have "the Disney look" but when you basically say they'll take anyone no matter their race or religion, it doesn't seem like they respect the religion side. Then again, if the turban guy wanted a job at Disney, I'm sure he knows about Disney and knows that Disney has a "standard" to a certain degree, so it shouldn't have been that big of a shock. I'd say give him a job in Morocco and be done with it. Anyways, keep us posted as to how this turns out.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    My son when he went to the orientation prior to his interview for the
    college program, they gave him specifics on his grooming and dress. Tattoos had to be covered by costume or they could not have that position. Had to be available 7 days a week (rotating days off) so religious observations could not conflict. If you were not in agreement you should not apply. Police Officers, Pilots and many other careers have specific requirements also for standard uniforms.

My son had a cream puff of all positions and yet he didn't dare not shave.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    P.C. police strike again! This is absurd!!! I often wonder if people apply for jobs that they know they won't get for whatever reason (i.e. wearing a turban to a Disney interview) just so they can sue the company. A few years ago there was a lawsuit filed against Hooters because they would not hire men. True story.

I understand that some religions require a certain "look" or "dress", but if you're devoted to your religon, why would you want to work for a company that requires you to compromise your religous principles? I know I wouldn't.

But that is just my opinion. I needed to rant! I feel better now.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    P.C. police strike again! This is absurd!!! I often wonder if people apply for jobs that they know they won't get for whatever reason (i.e. wearing a turban to a Disney interview) just so they can sue the company. A few years ago there was a lawsuit filed against Hooters because they would not hire men. True story.

I understand that some religions require a certain "look" or "dress", but if you're devoted to your religon, why would you want to work for a company that requires you to compromise your religous principles? I know I wouldn't.

No, you're exactly right. He shouldn't have ever applied. It's just stupid people out to get money, some people are beyond irritating. Grrrrrrrr. It's funny what some people will do.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I totally agree with the statement about why apply for a job that would be in conflict with your religious beliefs? You need to be able to compromise or look elsewhere. Disney has had a very strict dress-code for many years. (Length of nails, hair color, only one earring in each ear, always wearing hosery, and the list goes on.) It's what makes the atmosphere in Disney what it is. I don't know if there is pressure on the inside to loosen the rules and by getting someone on the outside to "start the crack", cast members hope to change some of the restrictions? One can only hope that if he actually never applied for a job, then the lawsuit can be made to go away. I thought of Aladdin or Moracco immediately too. However, he may have wanted a job in the corporate offices where Aladdin rarely makes an appearance.
    DH told me this afternoon that his sect doesn't get along with the Moracain population, so my idea doesn't work. The original article didn't say he'd actually worked for Disney, so I got the impression he had appllied, but been denied employment. The plot thickens.
    Last edited by mini-V; 06-18-2008 at 02:00 PM. Reason: added data
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Mickey's#1Fan is offline Ready to go back to the World!
    Massachusetts... not close enough to the world :(
    wow this is ridiculous! i agree with every one else here if you know disney has high standars and rules to conform to then dot even apply.... my uncle many many years ago applied for a job to be an imagineer with disney and he would have gotten the job except at the time you wernt allowed to have a certain type of facial hair mustache only and since he had a beard and was set in his ways in not shaving it he was denied the job and he isnt crying over it !
    Jennah
    Remember the MAGIC
    "a dream can be a dream come true with just that spark in me and you!"
    "in the big blue world...."
    "because i'm a lady... thats why"
    "it's a great BIG beautiful tomorrow!""Beware of hitch hiking ghosts!!"
    "it's hard to be cool when your dad is goofy!"

"please do not put on your safety goggles until you are safely seated safely inside the theater safely"- dr. nigel channing imagination institute

check...check...check...check...applause- four for a dollar

WDW
    Trips: '90 '91 '92 '93 '94 '95 '96 '97 '98 '99 '00 '01 '02 '03 '04
    '05 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '12

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Some more articles on the topic:
    Ex-USF student sues Disney over turban dispute - St. Petersburg Times
    Disney sued over worker dress code - Tampa Bay Business Journal:

Disney hires "Cast Members" to be part of a "show." That's the philosophy they have used since Disneyland opened. As part of a show, the cast has to have a certain look to portray the role they are playing. From the article in the Tampa Bay paper, it sounds like Disney allowed him to perform in the Christmas parade as a toy soldier, which involves a costume that completely covers the performer's head. The problem came when he also was to perform a different role where the costume required red berets and exposed faces. Disney was inconsistent with its own policy there, and made an exception to the Disney look to allow him to perform with the group wearing a red turban instead of a beret.

It also says he was hired for a seasonal position, which would mean his job would have ended in early 2006 no matter what. I expect there are more details that didn't make it into the papers, and that the facts are being omitted or distorted to sensationalize the story.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post

I remember the Hooters lawsuit, I couldn't get a job with Hooters either, I did not sue. The manager asked if I knew the name of the restaurant? I replied that I did, he said you don't have any. That was their requirement.

This guy though, seems like the multi availability would be a big problem, He has many religious observance days and there is no way he could have all of those off (predominantly Friday, right) or stop his job for several prayer periods a day. Comes down to what is best for the company, and they have the final say. I just want to know if he even applied or if this is just a money grab.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    Disney is not discriminating, this has been their policy for years. They are not just making him do this, every single cast member (that's hundreds of thousands of people) have had to do this.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    whatever....

I didn't get rehired, but it doesn't necessitate a lawsuit.

It just means that I'm never going to re-apply there.
    Last edited by The_Heat; 06-21-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?