Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss New "Balloon" Attraction Coming to DTD in the News & Rumors forums; I got this from WDW News Today: From the Orlando Sentinel : Disney World also is sprucing up Downtown Disney’s other two areas, adding restaurants, expanding and updating a band ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

New "Balloon" Attraction Coming to DTD

I got this from WDW News Today:

From the Orlando Sentinel:
    Disney World also is sprucing up Downtown Disney’s other two areas, adding restaurants, expanding and updating a band shell, refurbishing and updating other businesses, and bringing in a giant tethered-balloon attraction that visitors will be able to ride in, going up more than 300 feet above Village Lake.
    This will be similar to the one that can be found in The Disney Village at Disneyland Resort Paris, you can see it HERE.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    Could be pretty cool. I wonder how they'll deal with the rapidly changing weather in Florida (especially in the summer)?
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

tomwdwrach is offline A-Ticket holder
    This would be a great idea as I have been on the balloon in DisneyLand Paris and you get a fantastic view of the parks from up there. I have always felt that it would be nice to be able to see disneyworld from high up

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Y'know when we were talking about this over at the other thread ( http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...-dtd-news.html ) I was excited about it but the more I think about it, the more I'm afraid it's going to be cheesy. Anyone else get that icky feeling when they think about it? I don't know why but I'm starting to wonder if this is just going to be one of those "carnival" feeling things in the middle of what was a great shopping area.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Wait for Disney to unveil it's plans for a slingshot tower ride, a giant swing, and several spin and puke flat rides to be part of the "newly updated" Pleasure Island. Have fun!

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Yeah....puke...sounds like a blast.

Puke from thrill rides are more family friendly than puke from drunken night clubbers, Disney's thinking about the families

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Not so sure about the balloon idea - it does make one wonder just what the rest of the area will be themed to match. I'm sure they'll do a fantastic job, but Florida weather might make that more of a thrill ride than intended.

300' is pretty high - the view from Everest is impressive at 199' or so. Definitely can see how flat Florida is.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    So how much will this cost us? Do you think it might be part of the Water Parks N More ticket feature?

ChrisX is offline B-Ticket Holder
    The balloon ride is definitely a neat idea and at 300 feet the views should hopefully be pretty stunning. Its something I think I would do, but at the same time I don't think I would make a trip over there to just do it. I look forward to hearing more about it and what they plan to do with the theme around it.

(mentioned this on another thread)

I just find it rather interesting that Disney's doing this and decided to mention their balloon idea after the Great Orlando Wheel at 400 feet was announced, very interesting . . .

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Yes, the timing on that was just a little too close...
    I wouldn't hold my breath for the Great Orlando Wheel though. The company building it has one wheel operating in Singapore, and two more under construction in Berlin and Beijing, both supposedly opening late 2009. That's pretty ambitious for any company.

If you get a chance, check out the preview video they have in the gallery on their website - looks a lot like the Soarin' preshow to start, and shows they have no shortage of ego.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

ChrisX is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    If you get a chance, check out the preview video they have in the gallery on their website - looks a lot like the Soarin' preshow to start, and shows they have no shortage of ego.
    That was quite a preview video!!! They made it seem like the wheel was going to feed the poor and cure diseases.

These giant ferris/viewing wheels seem to be catching on over the last few years ever since the one in London was built for the Millennium. This is the first time this Singapore company is building in North America and they do seem to have their plate full right now, so I would not be surprised to see delays on it.

BTW the Wheel in London is about $30 for a ride and the one in Singapore is about $20. So I guess that gives us an idea of what a ride on this wheel would cost if it opens and what the balloon in Disney might cost as well.

I heard they were going to charge 40 for a lap around the wheel, I can see it now, people lining up all over willing to pay 40 bucks per person to ride a giant wheel . . . riight.