Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Fantasmic! Performances Being Scaled Back in the News & Rumors forums; I got this from WDW News Today: A press release about entertainment at Walt Disney World was just released. Part of it shows that during the slower times of year, ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Exclamation Fantasmic! Performances Being Scaled Back

I got this from WDW News Today:

A press release about entertainment at Walt Disney World was just released. Part of it shows that during the slower times of year, Fantasmic will only be performed 2 nights a week:
    We regularly evaluate and refine our operations. At the same time we unveil The American Idol Experience in January 2009, we will make an adjustment to our operation by offering Fantasmic! on select evenings each week. Fantasmic! will be performed two times weekly –generally Mondays and Thursdays - and more often during our busiest times of the year.

On nights when Fantasmic! is not performed, Guests (with appropriate ticket media) will continue to have the opportunity to enjoy nightly fireworks spectaculars such as Wishes at the Magic Kingdom® Park and IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth at Epcot®.
    Showtimes will be published for Guests in the Times Guide, which is available at the theme parks, and online at disneyworld.com.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    So, not only do we have the abomination that is American Idol invading the park but now we lose Fantasmic (partialy)? Add on top of that the closure of the Adventurer's Club and we have a complete travesty on our hands!

I'm very disappointed in this....
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

DTSZ is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I agree, we could do without the American Idol, please!!
    DTSZ

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    That's one thing I forgot to ask about. I thought Sorceror Mickey fought a Dragon during the show that came came out of the top mountain. When we saw Fantasmic the Dragon was projected on a screen of water
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by DTSZ View Post
    I agree, we could do without the American Idol, please!!
    Don't make such sweeping over-generalizations.

There are lots of people out there who do like American Idol and will want to see its attraction when it opens.

Just because YOU don't want something doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way.

DTSZ is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Sorry to offend, I just prefer Fantasmic is all.
    DTSZ

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGCRAB View Post
    Don't make such sweeping over-generalizations.

There are lots of people out there who do like American Idol and will want to see its attraction when it opens.

Just because YOU don't want something doesn't mean that everyone else feels the same way.
    A part of me feels your pain with these new additions going into the park, but the same way I am glad that since a lot of people actually like those shows, they'd be probably wanting to see them then rather making the rest of the lines longer. So when you see something like that pop up and you just cannot stand it, think of it this way, it makes for shorter lines everywhere else and you won't have to deal with that many people that like those shows, because I'm sure you probably won't get along with them either as they sing pop songs and such while waiting in line, lol.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    A part of me feels your pain with these new additions going into the park, but the same way I am glad that since a lot of people actually like those shows, they'd be probably wanting to see them then rather making the rest of the lines longer. So when you see something like that pop up and you just cannot stand it, think of it this way, it makes for shorter lines everywhere else and you won't have to deal with that many people that like those shows, because I'm sure you probably won't get along with them either as they sing pop songs and such while waiting in line, lol.
    That's a great way to look at it! I could do without American Idol as well.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    I've heard this, and I'm oaky with it. It's not that busy in January, so really, why have performances every night? They will have more when its busier, so it just seems economical.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    I guess that is true... But I wonder if this is the first signs of a recession hitting WDW?...
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

Love That Duck is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    I've heard this, and I'm oaky with it. It's not that busy in January, so really, why have performances every night? They will have more when its busier, so it just seems economical.
    Hey, Jeanne (BTW, my sincere CONGRATs and Best Wishes on your engagement).

I read this as, the change will be implemented in January 2009 for all of 2009 and "more often during the busiest times of year", not just for the month of January 2009. "More often" could mean anything from an additional night of performances, a 3rd performance on Mondays and Thursdays, shows several nights a week, etc.

Eh, I don't care for American Idol either and I'm sorry to see Fantasmic performances being cut. But, through the last five decades I've learned to live with Disney's park changes. They are inevitible and seldom changes I would personally make.

But, as mentioned, Idol may very well attract a large group of park guests from other attractions, restaurants, etc. making the park experience a bit more convenient for those of us that don't care for Idol.
    ~Jerry & Nancy~

Sept. 3 - Sunrise WEDDING Vow Renewal then Drive to WDW
    Sept. 4-16, 2011 - WDW HONEYMOON:
    Sept 4-9 - Pop Century
    Sept. 10-16 - Caribbean Beach

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I would have expected 3-4 a week. Two seems like they are really cutting back.

And I am on the list for those who could do without Idol. TV version is enough for me, but glad Disney is geeting the Press on the other side of it.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    What I think this really means is that guests are going to have to do their homework. With Fantastic only being performed a few times a week, you'll need to think about what to do on what days. The stands were definitely full on the July 6th when we were there.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Quote Originally Posted by Love That Duck View Post
    Hey, Jeanne (BTW, my sincere CONGRATs and Best Wishes on your engagement).

I read this as, the change will be implemented in January 2009 for all of 2009 and "more often during the busiest times of year",
    Thanks and I apologize! I should ahve been more clear in my answer. I'm at Disney all year round. Basically, they only need two performances a week MOST of the year. January is a slow month. So is Feb. Minus a few weeks here and there, the only time you only need more performances are around 4th of July and the Holidays at Christmas, so just having 2 performances a week, most of the year, no one will see any huge difference.

I've been to Fantasmic shows in Jan and Feb before where there are only 3 sections of seats filled, they can't even fill the entire stadium! So I'm okay with the change.

Right now, we are in busy season so people can't even imagine it being THAT slow, but when it's absolutely dead, why waste the extra manpower?
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I can see why this is one to scale back on it. It seems to require more of the human element than the other night time shows. It will require people to think about when to go but that can be a good thing. We liked Fantasmic but we could hit or miss it. It seems to make sense to try and pack the arena and really make it something special.

I could do without American Idol. But it will take people out of the lines so I can ride and see what I want!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast