Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Save Liberty Tree Tavern Character Meal in the News & Rumors forums; Just got back from the World yesterday and i have some bad news. We were eating at the Liberty Tree Tavern and began to talk to the waitress there (i ...
    ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough

Exclamation Save Liberty Tree Tavern Character Meal

Just got back from the World yesterday and i have some bad news. We were eating at the Liberty Tree Tavern and began to talk to the waitress there (i think her name was Sandy?). Anyways, she said that starting in January, the characters will no longer be in the liberty tree tavern!
    How can Disney do this? I have no idea what theyre thinking! we go there every time we are in WDW and we promised her we would never go back if the charcters arent there.
    Last edited by ERich2010; 08-12-2008 at 12:10 PM.
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Wonder if we can verify this somehow.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    There are multiple factors to consider in a matter like this.

1) Many guests felt that the MK had too many character meals and wanted to have a nice table service restaurant where they could be able to have dinner without characters.

2) They already offer lots of character dinners at the nearby MK area hotels (Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary, 1900 Park Faire at the Grand Floridian, Mickey's Backyard Barbecue at Fort Wilderness, etc.).

3) I'm choosing to look at the bright side of this decision. IMO, I've been feeling that the variety of characters available in the parks for regular meet-and-greets has diminished over the last couple of years, especially in regards to secondary characters like the 4 Country Bears, the 3 Brers, the Robin Hood crew, etc. So, I think that by cutting this meal, it'll free up the "friends" of those characters so they can go be with other ones and possibly increase the chances of the Bears, Brers, Robin Hood crew, etc. returning to the parks as normal everyday characters and not just as "randoms".

So, personally, I can't see this as ending up being a total loss and I don't think we should get all that bent out of shape over things being taken away like this. Everything does happen for a reason.
    Last edited by KINGCRAB; 08-12-2008 at 12:32 PM.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    This is true that they won't be having characters there. I think it is a good idea. I think sometimes there can be too many characters and it gets a bit crazy at meal times. This way, children might have a chance to unwind for a few moments and actually eat something. Just my opinion.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Yeah this actually isn't something new. I remember some discussions about this in the past and it was verified. The restaurant is still going to be open but it will no longer be a character meal. If you call to make ADRs they'll actually tell you then that it is no longer a character meal after a certain date (that's a pretty verifiable source I'd say).
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    It's 100% true. It's been announced for a couple weeks now at the very least.

I really don't see any huge loss to it, as Crystal Palace as characters, as does Cinderella's Royal Table. And there are plenty of character spots to eat at around the parks!
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Oh thank goodness. By the title I thought for some reason they were actually getting rid of the tree!!!!
    Oh my. Now that would be sad.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I suspect that the feeling is that this as much a "children's" restaurant as the others with character meals. And many families without small children may not want to dine in that hectic environment (though some may go just to see the kids!). I don't think it will be a huge loss, as long as they have those character meals available in the resorts and at least one at each park. I hope this may free up more cast members for character meet and greets out in the park. I agree with the earlier poster - you just don't see a lot of the lesser known characters strolling any more...

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I have mixed feelings on this one. As a future cast member (hopefully) I think it would be better to be inside and greeting kids sitting down rather than outside. As a guest, it's probably easier to get a one-on-one with a character while dining. However I would think it would be easier to get kids to eat and unwind without characters around, and the restaurant might be less crowded and easier to get reserved seating if it's not a character meal restaurant. As long as there continues to be other restaurants where character meals are offered, I guess it's not OK for this one restaurant to change their format.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    Oh thank goodness. By the title I thought for some reason they were actually getting rid of the tree!!!!
    Me too! Unfortunatly I have never eaten here before. If we go this year I will make sure we make a reservation here.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

disneylady is offline REMEMBERING THE MAGIC

THATS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT TOO.................thank goodness its not the Tree
    Liberty Tree Tavern is great & I love the food .........But......
    I had Thanksgiving Dinner there .............& it was "Manic"...........in my opinion it was too small for the Charactors to circulate.................so I,m happy to be able to go eat there without the Charactors............................CP is good for that .....more space & Cinderella,s Table does Charactor Dining too in MK.

I Belle
    Maggie

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Looks like alot of people had that notion, I too thought it was the tree, which would of been very upsetting. As far as the restaurant goes, it has been on the decline for some time now. I can only hope that maybe with the removal of the characters may mean they can focus on better food. I doubt it but I can only hope
    Last edited by GIOny; 08-13-2008 at 11:04 AM.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I thought it was kind of cute to have the characters around. My last visit though a few of them seemed a little rambunctious and a CM had to calm them down a bit. We were not planning on eating there in October though.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    The big question on my mind is will the prices go down? And am what I am hearing true? WDW is no charging a "premium" for certain character meals during certain times? So on top of the $30 a person charge I will now have to pay a premium too! THis is getting ridiculous
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    We went to LTT for lunch one time, I think in '05 and it was nice and quiet. We have never been to a character meal there but I can see how the area set up isn't quite as easy for a character meal than other character meals. This one at least makes sense to me. I think the surcharge is more related to holiday meal times than anything but I could be wrong. Still, it is getting so expensive to take my family we will really have to save up and change how we do the parks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast