Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Jim Henson's Name Removed! in the News & Rumors forums; I got this from Screamscape.com: According to this update at Orlando United , the park has removed Jim Hensonís name from the balloon on top of the Muppetvision 3D Theater ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Jim Henson's Name Removed!

I got this from Screamscape.com:

According to this update at Orlando United, the park has removed Jim Hensonís name from the balloon on top of the Muppetvision 3D Theater as well as his name from just above the main logo on the front of the building as well. While Disney owns the Muppets now, it seems kind of rude to remove Jim Hensonís name after all this time. Anyone know what the deal is?
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Ayhab is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Legal reasons! Disney doesn't wanna get sued. Same reasoning behind renaming MGM.
    Ayhab the Arab
    It's amazing to think that this all started with one little mouse.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayhab View Post
    Legal reasons! Disney doesn't wanna get sued. Same reasoning behind renaming MGM.
    Makes sense. Maybe they will pay tribute to all of his work in some other way...
    ~Ashleigh

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    I don't think we should overreact to this.

I'm sure Lou Mongello or somebody else has an official answer regarding this or something.

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thumbs down

Come on......that's like taking Walt out of Disney! Jim Henson was one of the main creative forces behind the muppets, just like Walt was behind Disney's animation! Maybe I'm just a upset muppets fan, but this dosen't seem right to me?

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    I would also like to mention that Jim's name was removed from DCA's version of the attraction just a couple of years ago, so it was probably just a matter of time.

Also, Screamscape just posted a possible theory as to why they took Jim's name off of Muppet-Vision's title:

(9/23/08) While I havenít heard an official story yet, I was given a good theory about why Jim Hensonís name has been removed from the attraction at Disneyís Hollywood Studios. According to this older news article from when Disney purchased the Muppets, they simply bought the Muppets characters along with Bear and the Big Blue House from The Jim Henson Company back in 2004. Itís a common mistaken believe that Disney bought the entire company, but they did not. However part of that deal also included a four-year consulting contract with the Jim Henson Co., as well as a three-year production deal to make new films or TV shows. Itís thought that The Jim Henson Company may have even requested that Disney remove and stop using the Jim Henson name in an effort to clear up some of this confusion how that the consulting deal is over that they have cut their ties with Disney.
    Meanwhile, just in time for the end earlier this year, Disney launched an all new version of the Muppets.com website that also has no mention of Jim Hensonís name (that I can see at least...). Not long afterwards, Disney also announced a deal with writer Jason Segel and helmer Nick Stoller to produce the next Muppet film for them by 2010.
    Clearly Disney is taking ownership of the Muppets for this all new generation. It seems this is just the start of Disneyís efforts to ramp up public awareness of the Muppets all over again for their next big marketing push, which will include a new Christmas special to be broadcast on NBC this December. Itís taken a few years for Disney to figure out how to fit the Muppets in to the mix with the rest of the Disney characters, but it seems clear now that they have a plan and it is being put into action.
    So far the early efforts, including all new viral videos on YouTube have been a huge success. There are all new YouTube videos being posted by actual Muppets who have made their own channels such as Sam the Eagle posting as PatrioticEagle, Statler & Waldof posting as HeckleU247, The Swedish Chef posting as Deumnborkborkbork, Beaker posting as MeepMeepMeepow and Gonzo posting as WeirdoWhatever.
    I don't always trust Screamscape, but the above reasoning makes sense to me.
    Last edited by KINGCRAB; 09-23-2008 at 02:16 PM.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    There are all new YouTube videos being posted by actual Muppets who have made their own channels such as Sam the Eagle posting as PatrioticEagle, Statler & Waldof posting as HeckleU247, The Swedish Chef posting as Deumnborkborkbork, Beaker posting as MeepMeepMeepow and Gonzo posting as WeirdoWhatever.
    I love the screen names!

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I must say that it is nice to finaly see Disney making a push of the muppets. I also hope that have some kind of tribute in muppet stuidos for jim Henson?