Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Metal Detectors at WDW in the News & Rumors forums; This week, Walt Disney World will be testing metal detectors at the entrance to all theme parks after the parks have been cleared. If tests are successful, Disney is expected ...
    adambreakey is offline Moderator

Metal Detectors at WDW

This week, Walt Disney World will be testing metal detectors at the entrance to all theme parks after the parks have been cleared. If tests are successful, Disney is expected to install the metal detectors at each park entrance. It is unknown whether the devices would be rolled out to other Disney parks in the U.S. or abroad. Apparently, the screenings would be conducted at random on guests selected as they entered. It has not been disclosed what would happen to guests setting off the detectors, though they could be searched or checked using a hand-held wand.

adamb
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    As much as the idea makes sense in these unfortunate, troubled times we live in... I can just image how this is going to slow down entrance to the parks. (think airports!). Maybe this is why they're adding on extra hoiurs in the a.m. and p.m. - to compesnate for the 2 hours you have to wait just to get in!!

Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

adambreakey is offline Moderator
    You know - the six flags we used to go to - along with Kings Dominion had the metal detectors -- I always felt as though they were very 'unfriendly' and actually made the park feel unsafe because of it.

It is unforunate that Disney feels they need to install these. It will make 'leaving the real world behind' all the more difficult.

I wonder, was there an incident (other than 9/11) that spurred the need for these? I mean, 9/11 was 2.5 years ago, you would think if that was the reason they would have installed them long ago.

adamb
    To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.

Xharryb is offline C-Ticket Holder
    yeah, I don't get why they now suddenly feel that they need metal detectors? of course the bigger problem I have is how the articles all say that only certain people will be randomly selected to go through them. how will they choose who does and doesn't get this special treatment? won't this be opening them up for complaints and discrimination issues? how does only scanning some people but not all make things safer? I just don't get it?!
    This space designated as a DRAMA FREE ZONE