Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss 100 Lane Bowling Alley Plan Haulted in the News & Rumors forums; I got this from WDW News Today: On a day where the economy has probably made a difference in who Americans vote for to be the next President, the credit ...
    disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!

Exclamation 100 Lane Bowling Alley Plan Haulted

I got this from WDW News Today:

On a day where the economy has probably made a difference in who Americans vote for to be the next President, the credit crunch seems to finally be touching the Walt Disney World Resort. The Orlando Sentinel is reporting the following:
    Plans to bring thousands of bowlers to Disney’s Wide World of Sports in 2011 have landed in the gutter — at least for the time being. Blame the economy. The private — and still unnamed — company that would build the 100-lane bowling stadium in Osceola County is having trouble getting financing because of the credit market. The first tournament in the new bowling complex is not scheduled until 2013, Disney World spokeswoman Jacquee Polak said.

Back in June, officials lauded the deal. Planned for 100 lanes, stadium-style seating and a restaurant, the facility was to be complete in about 18 months. Under terms of the deal, the United States Bowling Congress was supposed to bring 13 events to Central Florida beginning in 2011. Each tournament is played over four to six months. The event, though delayed, is still expected to be a boon to Osceola hotels and tourist-related businesses.
    Yes, the construction of the long awaited bowling center has been temporarily halted because Disney teamed up with a company who can’t acquire the funds needed to make this project happen at the soon-to-be named ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex. Don’t worry, Disney is not backing down on any “in-house” projects yet, there are still plenty of fresh ideas inside Walt Disney Imagineering that should be coming to WDW over the next 3 years (with one already starting to take shape on Pixar Place at Disney’s Hollywood Studios as we speak).
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Interesting.... this may be the first piece of Iger's grand plans backfiring. What had originally seemed to make a lot of sense for the company: bring in outside companies to build and operate on Disney property, so that Disney gets revenue and new stuff without footing the entire bill for construction, etc., isn't going to work so well when those outside companies can't get the money they need for construction.

Notice we haven't heard much about that Western Way/Flamingo Crossing development lately??

Hopefully things will turn around soon.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    It's to bad, there is a need for something in that area to draw guests over that way. Hope the situation will be brighter for them (and the country) soon
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Interesting.... this may be the first piece of Iger's grand plans backfiring. What had originally seemed to make a lot of sense for the company: bring in outside companies to build and operate on Disney property, so that Disney gets revenue and new stuff without footing the entire bill for construction, etc., isn't going to work so well when those outside companies can't get the money they need for construction.
    I think there may be some truth to this.
    I just got done reading Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando by Richard E. Foglesong. The book covers private vs. public development. Some may find it dry but I thought it was very interesting.
    The book outlined how Disney has enjoyed developing its property quickly and cheaply because of special legal provisions provided when Mr. Walt Disney first selected Orlando. If Disney strays from that formula in projects (i.e. bringing in outsiders who can slow things down and get in the way of the 'vision'), they may have a more difficult time.
    Plus, I think the economy may have a lot to do with it...
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

mmouse6937 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    That's disappointing, I looked forward to something like that to do on property. Oh well, more time in the parks!
    Sarah

76-84 Two Trips as a Child, '00 Best Western LBV, '01 Best Western LBV, '02 Polynesian (OUR DISNEYMOON!!), '03 CBR, '05 CBR, '06 DisneyLand, '07 POR, 09/08 CBR, 12/08 BC, 09/09 BW, 03/10 POP, 12/10 POP, 11/12 Dream Cruise 2.0

My babies: Nala, Scooter, Pinto, Minnie, Daisy, Dory, and George

"Saving one animal will not change the world, but surely for that one animal the world will change forever"

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Economy

I would imagine that the majority of it has to do with the economy. The fact that Disney is bringing in private companies to build just goes to show that Disney is well aware of it's boundaries to build new aspects within its borders. Why not let a private company build on your land? They get the revenue and the ability to promote. It's a win win situation for both....if these private companies can secure the money to build. It will be interesting to see what the future brings.
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!