Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Space Mountain Rhab in the News & Rumors forums; Saw this posted on a few different sites this AM including Debs and wdwdmagic.com.... Space Mountain closes for big refurbishment April 19 2009 Jan 05, 2009 Space Mountain is set ...
    Elvin is offline A-Ticket holder

Space Mountain Rhab

Saw this posted on a few different sites this AM including Debs and wdwdmagic.com....

Space Mountain closes for big refurbishment April 19 2009
    Jan 05, 2009

Space Mountain is set to begin it's year long refurbishment on April 19, 2009. It is expected to open late 2009 with no specific date. During the refurb, the TTA People Mover will also occasionally be closed for the Space Mountain work to be carried out.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I keep hearing about this but no details. One site says they are just doing work on the track and cleaning things up a bit and other say they are bringing the Disneyland redo to WDW. It sure seems it's going to be closed for a good while to just be minor work and cleaning.

EDIT: It just dawned on me that the refurb at Disneyland took ages and ages... if they are saying it'll be back open in late 2009 I don't think that'd be enough time to do much. Maybe just some TLC?
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 01-05-2009 at 03:49 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Jennings is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Even if they just made the track a little smoother, I'd be happy!

Can't wait to hear more details...

yensid77 is offline A-Ticket holder
    No more details but this is from a reliable sorce:

In an effort to maintain our parks for future Guest enjoyment, we schedule periodic refreshments of our attractions. As a result, beginning Sunday, April 19, 2009, Space Mountain® attraction at Magic Kingdom® Park will begin its refurbishment. It is anticipated that the work will be completed in late 2009. As always, Guests are encouraged to check the Magic Kingdom® Park Times Guide and Guidemap upon arrival for the most updated theme park information.

emabee is offline Not too much longer til I'm in the World again!!!
    Shucks, right in the middle of my visit. Oh, well. It's a ride I can take or leave.
    http://pinefrog.com/DWT/vana.htm

Disney things I love:

The Capt'n:
    Pirates:
    Magic Kingdom:
    All things Alice:

bamfer23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    As much as it ****s for everyone afterward, I'm glad itll still up and running when I go in March!

clion is offline Fastpass Holder
    The official site doesn't have it listed in the operational updates for April yet.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    Can someone who has been tell me how the disneyland refub changed it? Just curious....
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

mrp4352 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DissyLove View Post
    Can someone who has been tell me how the disneyland refub changed it? Just curious....
    It's much, much darker in the ride and the soundsystems were all updated. I don't believe there were any track changes, but I'm just trying to remember back from when it happened, so I could be wrong.

My hope for the WDW refurb is a car that I can get in and out of without making a spectacle of myself!
    Please move as far to the end of the row as possible. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic!

Quote Originally Posted by mrp4352 View Post
    It's much, much darker in the ride and the soundsystems were all updated. I don't believe there were any track changes, but I'm just trying to remember back from when it happened, so I could be wrong.
    There were really two phases to the refurb in Disneyland. The first was when they added the speakers to the rockets, sort of like in Rock-N-Rollercoaster and some other minor things.

The big refurb actually involved rebuilding the entire track due to instability and changing the lighting, soundtrack, and adding a new queue. They also added the ability to change the experience on the fly, giving way to a different experience at night and on special events like Grad Night.

From Wikipedia: "The new Space Mountain features new rocket sleds, a new queue, new music (composed by Ratatouille and Mission: Impossible III score director Michael Giacchino), new special effects and a storyline. The completely rebuilt track is the exact same layout as originally designed by Walt Disney Imagineer Bill Watkins in 1976, including the original track from the station to the top of the lifts. The original track was removed and the foundation was laid 30 feet deeper, making the ride much safer than before. The floor of the building was also lowered ten feet. The rockets no longer glow in the dark."
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Wow - I knew that they had done a lot of work to the Disneyland SM, but I didn't know it was that in depth! It sounds like if they do that much work on the WDW SM, it will be well worth the wait!
    ~Ashleigh

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I'm excited to get one last ride on it. I was bummed back when they thought it would be closed in January (during our trip).

That said, I'm excited about the refurb! Even better is that since we try to go down about every other year it should be back up in its new state when we go in 2011!
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

Now officially confirmed on official Web site:
    Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

Also note the TTA is down for refurbishment during that time as well.

D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

Quote Originally Posted by clion View Post
    Also note the TTA is down for refurbishment during that time as well.
    I don't believe the TTA is down for refurbishment much as it's down because it goes through Space Mountain and they wouldn't want folks seeing what's going on in there... would ruin the magic.

True -- though I'd be surprised if Disney didn't do some touch-ups to the TTA while it's down anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast