Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss American Idol Preview in the News & Rumors forums; So today the family and I were at the Studios watching the Block party Bash. We were near the Hat and noticed a line forming at Idol. We decided to ...
    TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

American Idol Preview

So today the family and I were at the Studios watching the Block party Bash. We were near the Hat and noticed a line forming at Idol. We decided to be curious and see what was going on. Yes they have started very select previews for very select groups of people.

Below is a quick preview of what we saw. DO NOT read on if you want a surprise when you visit. There is nothing too reavealing here though.

The preshow had a hostin the crowd filming spots for the show. He was having everyone waiting saying things like "vote for Aaron" or who ever it was that was singing. These would be used later in the show. There was also a preview of what the hopefuls would go through backstage on the Idol set. Looked pretty impressive.

Once let into the theatre you felt like you were really there on the stage at Idol. Everything insde the ABC theatre was brand new. The seats, carpet, walls and of course the stage. The seats each have voting buttons on them so you can vote during the show. Wish I had a picture to show but of course they weren't letting that happen during these previews.

The stage looks awesome. Just like you see during the finale. The arch across the center of the stage with HD monitor inside it. About 20-30 more HD TV's of various sizes all over. On the left and right of the stage are the spinning Idol logo's. To your left was a place for the singers to sit. On the right the Judges table.

Each singer was introduced with a few clips of them from their audition expierence. A little moment to get to know them, then time to sing. Each sang about 2 mins or so of material. Then they got to face the judges. The Judges were very good in keeping with the theme of the show. They even had one that was 'mean' like Simon. Some got great reviews from all, some not so great. They were fairly honest but not too harsh like seen on the show at times.

At the end the audience got to vote on who they thought was the best. And in Idol fashion they slowly and randomly eliminated each singer with just as much drama as Ryan Seacrest does on the show. You wanted to walk up to the stage and read the envelope for him.

It was great and I can't wait to see how the full shows will be in the next weeks.

bamfer23 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Im not really a fan of idol, but my girlfriend is, so I know shell be looking forward to this in March!

luvsfigment is offline A-Ticket holder
    I saw all of the CMs outside with their AIE costumes on, but they were just providing info to passerbys who were interested. I'm bummed I missed a preview!! I was just happy to see the building up and running again.

D23

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    I still could care less really
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

goofntink is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Got to get in during one of the CM previews.Have to agree a nice job was done on the theater itself.Alot of moneyand technology was put into it,personally alot of us felt if AIE falls on it's face,they can use it for something else later on.Performers actually wear a transponder we found out,that makes the lighting automatically follow them as they perform.We noticed that Simon,Paula,and Randy were actually former CM's from some of the PI clubs.Glad to see their talents were able to be reused.All the performers at this point are CM's who can sing,the one we went to had one of the girls from HSM, a janitor,and one of the Hollywood Blvd performers. We all agreed that AIE would not be "A Must See"attraction.It will do a good job for thinning out the herd so to speak,when it comes to the line wait times for say TSM.Also one thing is for certain they are definately pushing AIE merchandise to gain interest in the Attraction.Everywhere you look you see it,even before you entire the park.Unfortunately,they missed the boat on AI,Disney got into it to late,just like a couple other attractions.Wanted to add,as an audience member,expect to have a camera shoved in your face during the show.
    Last edited by goofntink; 01-12-2009 at 11:56 AM.

they were doing soft openings this week while we were there. CMs were telling me about the shows. Didn't go but they were open............
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We went to a preview last week while there. The stage was very much like the Idol stage. The show itself lasts about 30 minutes. I'm afraid if American Idol the TV show loses popularity then Disney has wasted a lot of money but as an Idol fan I thought it was very enjoyable.
    Bottom line; if you like American Idol you will like this show. If you don't like it you will probably skip this show.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

glistensound2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Soft Opening Last Week

While the stagng and audio were INCREDIBLE, I was very disappointed with the Idol attraction.

1. They work up the crowd in the queue area and video tape it to use in the show. Unfortunately they got the contestants names wrong and showed a clip of the crowd cheering for "Sandy" when Michelle was on the stage. Oops. I think the video taping of the queue crowd would also be more effective if it was broadcast live on the queue monitors.

2. Theater is quite awesome, but hot with all the equipment. Didn't mind in January, but can't imagine in July.

3. Judges. Something seems wrong here. The three we had were trying to act too much like Randy, Paula and Simon. The host was even "Ryan" somebody. Just felt very contrived, cheesy. The comments from the judges seemed very scripted and so rushed that they seemed insincere and didn't give much time for audience agreement or boos.

4. Pre-taped famous Idol winners and contestant comments. Also weird to have a giant David Cook looking at an angle (not directly at the contestant) and saying something obviously so generic and not personally for the contestant.

5. The all day thing. Winning contestants advance all day to an evening finale. What are the chances people will come back to watch? What are the chances the average park guest contestant will want to take up their whole day with idol?

Suggestions:

Why not have a winner each show? Give em a Disney or Coke sponsored prize or something, don't tie it in with a magic ticket to audition for the real Idol.

Don't try to have people imitate the host and judges so closely.

I would have loved to see an audio animatronics Hall of Presidents style AIdol attraction with top contestants and winners doing signature songs or something instead perhaps.

Hope this doesn't bomb for Disney.
    -Mark,
    Fine Art Photographer & Digital Storyteller
    Vacation Photo to Canvas Prints
    FinePhotoGraphics.com

FutureImagineer is offline Fastpass Holder
    i give this show 2 years max...I miss Superstar Television.
    The Goofy Princess

I have zero interest in spending park time watching karoake so..........
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

LouDisney is offline A-Ticket holder
    I watch American Idol and enjoy it...sometimes, but I just don't see me going to this attraction more than once.

once is too much
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

GoofyGuy is offline D-Ticket Holder
    It will be one of those things we skip. (especially with a 3 year old).
    We've been down to WDW a few times, but we've only seen Drew Careys show once., it's not that we don't like it, we just love all other things more. I don't have any interest in this either. I'm sure some people will like it.
    February 1997 - Off Property
    October 1999 - Off Property
    November 2000 - Off Property
    November 2001 - All Star Music
    November 2002 - All Star Music
    November 2003 - All Star Movies
    November 2005 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    October 2007 - Pop Century Classic Years
    November 2008 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2010 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2012 - Port Orleans / French Quarter
    November 2013 - All Star Music

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I also have no desire to see this.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I certain can understand that this attraction is not for everyone, but I was really excited to take part in it today. Not only did I make it past the first audition, but I actually made it into the show. It was fun and very exciting. The CM's guide the contestants through the process, and the audience really got into the show. I didn't win, but the woman who did sang very well. Had we not been so exhausted, I might have tried to fast-talk DH into attending the final just to see who won. I had fun with my 90 seconds of fame and will have great memories of my experience.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast