Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney Deals with Dreamworks... in the News & Rumors forums; Not sure if this has been posted on here but here goes, Disney Deals with DreamWorks - Mania.com What does everyone think? Will we see Shrek, Fiona and Donkey walking ...
    ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

Disney Deals with Dreamworks...

Not sure if this has been posted on here but here goes,

Disney Deals with DreamWorks - Mania.com

What does everyone think? Will we see Shrek, Fiona and Donkey walking the streets of WDW and DL after being fixtures at Universal? Will Fiona fit in with the other Princesses? What about the Madagascar Characters in AK? What are the possibilities?
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder
    It's not going to involve Shrek and things though. It is just the live action films they are distributing.
    -Brent
    "It's the time of your life, so live it well" ~ a bug's life

I have a Disney book coming out in the first week of March. Stop by www.fromscreentotheme.com for more details!

DisneyonaDime is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by envypeterpan View Post
    It's not going to involve Shrek and things though. It is just the live action films they are distributing.
    That is correct. I just spoke with a friend of mine that works for Paramount and he said that it was only live-action films. Dreamworks sold it's animation division to Paramount and Steven Spielberg kept the live-action films. He originally had a deal with Universal, but it didn't work out and Disney jumped in.
    Chris
    Co-author of "Disney on a Dime"- now for sale !!!! Get our new book, plus some extra free goodies when you buy from our site-
    www.DisneyonaDime.com
    Find daily and weekly tips, updates, and now- our book.
    "You can drop a grand in Disney World like that!"- Frank Costanza

vDunninger is offline A-Ticket holder
    Dreamworks Animation SKG and Dreamworks Pictures are 2 totally different companies (they are related in that at one time they were one and the same but split in 2004). Shrek etc. is part of the former but Disney is in talks with the latter so there will be no Shrek at WDW or DRL (thank goodness!!) Disney was actually in talks with them back in October before DP signed with Universal. Spielberg however overrode his partners (who favoured Disney) and went with Universal due to his previous relationship with Universal (got his big start there, including Jaws). Things haven't worked out so well for him there unfortunately so DP are looking for other options which include renewed talks with Disney. DP has done some big movies including War of the Worlds and Saving Private Ryan, but nothing that would fit into any of the Disney parks, except perhaps DHS. We're safe...

1998, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2009 - Wilderness Lodge
    2000 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006 - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2007 - Beach Club Resort (YOMD concierge winner!)
    2008 - Polynesian Resort
    2009 - Disneyland Hotel (WWYC vacation winner!)
    2010 - Grand Floridian Resort
    2011 - DLR Paris & Disney Magic 7nts Med
    2012 - Old Key West Resort

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.
    That's why I wanted to ask all of you. I figured if anyone would know the details it would be someone on here.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Part of the weirdness about this was that Jeffrey Katzenberg was the head of the Disney features division under Eisner, but quit in a huff when we wasn't later promoted, and went on to help form Dreamworks SKG (he's the "K").

He went with Dreamworks Animation when it spun off into a 100% separate entity and is still the CEO. It was NOT sold to Paramount - it is still a public company that has a distribution deal with Paramount. Much like Dreamworks SKG (the remaining part of the company) is getting a distribution deal with Disney now.

Not sure if he'd ever go back again...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I'm confused? Speilburg's pictures were be released through Dreamworks, which was a part of Universal. Does this mean his movies are coming out Disney behind Dreamworks, or did he go back to having Universal behind his pictures?

Large companies like Disney, Universal and Paramount (just to name a few) can both make movies and distribute them to theatres around the world. Smaller production companies, like Dreamworks (either Pictures or Animation SKG) can only make the movies but must rely on other companies to distribute them. Disney, Universal and Paramount (as well as others) offer this service to smaller production companies for a percentage of theatre sales on those movies. Dreamworks Pictures tried to put together a deal with Universal last October to distribute their films through the Universal distribution network. That has fallen through now so they are looking for a new distribution partner hence the talks with Disney. Dreamworks Animation (a different company from Dreamworks Pictures) has had a long standing deal with Paramount to distribute their movies (which include the Shrek franchise, Madagascar, Shark Tale, Kungfu Panda, Bee Movie, Flushed Away, and others) which does not appear to be in any peril. Either way, it is not the Dreamworks Animation company that is in talks with Disney, it is the other Dreamworks.

2008 - Polynesian Resort

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
    I'm confused? Speilburg's pictures were be released through Dreamworks, which was a part of Universal. Does this mean his movies are coming out Disney behind Dreamworks, or did he go back to having Universal behind his pictures?
    One other point, neither Universal nor Paramount has ever owned either of the Dreamworks. They have merely distributed their movies for a percentage of sales. Before Dreamworks existed, Spielberg (who started as an unpaid clerical assistant at Universal in 1964) use to make movies for Universal (including Jaws and ET...). He, Jeffrey Katzenberg and David Geffen jointly formed Dreamworks in 1994. In 2004, the companies split into 2 separate companies: an animation company (Dreamworks Animation SKG) and non-animation company (Dreamworks Pictures, also called Dreamworks SKG).

2008 - Polynesian Resort

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Got it, thanks for clearing that up.

firemanx is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've heard it would lead to a Roger Rabbit Sequel, and possible addition of a Roger Rabbit ride in WDW would be awsome.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder
    not sure that I like this yet.... i guess if they don't overload it and it's definately no the animation etc. I mean can you imagine shrek walking down main street? i think i'd die.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
    Spielberg had a separate deal where although he was part of Dreamworks SKG, his movies would/could still be released through Universal. That may still be in effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney2000 View Post
    not sure that I like this yet.... i guess if they don't overload it and it's definately no the animation etc. I mean can you imagine shrek walking down main street? i think i'd die.
    As already stated, it has NOTHING to do with Dreamworks Animation, which is a completely separate company. Shrek will NOT be appearing anywhere at Disney.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news