Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss British woman sues Disney for 2005 stroke in the News & Rumors forums; From the Associated Press: ORLANDO, Florida - A British woman is suing Walt Disney World, claiming a ride caused her to suffer a disabling heart attack and stroke in 2005. ...
    clion is offline Fastpass Holder

British woman sues Disney for 2005 stroke

From the Associated Press:
    ORLANDO, Florida - A British woman is suing Walt Disney World, claiming a ride caused her to suffer a disabling heart attack and stroke in 2005.
    Leanne Deacon and her mother, both of Kibworth, England, filed the lawsuit Wednesday in Orlando circuit court, according to the Orlando Sentinel. They are seeking at least $15,000.
    Leanne Deacon was 16 when she rode the Disney World-MGM Studios' "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" ride several times.
    Shortly after one ride, Deacon's heart stopped, and she had a brain hemorrhage.
    The Deacons accuse Disney of negligence in the ride's design and operation. They say Disney failed to adequately warn of the risks or provide adequate safety restraints.
    Disney spokeswoman Kim Prunty said the company hadn't seen the lawsuit. Prunty said the ride was working properly when Deacon rode it.
    Isn't it interesting that now, FOUR years later, she wants to file suit? I guess when times are tough - find someone to sue!
    If you're going to try to dig Disney for money, please try to find a better excuse. "Failed to adequately warn of the risks or provide adequate safety restraints?" Are you kidding me? Does this woman READ? How many warning signs does she pass in the queue line?
    My bet is she's aiming for an out of court settlement. I hope Disney sticks it out and this woman gets laughed out of court.
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder
    Disney is sued frequently, but succeeding with the suit is a different story. This case will likely be dismissed or Disney will win. One, she has waited too long to file the suit and two, she assumed the risk when she voluntarily choose to get on ToT. She may be able to overcome the time delay based on her age, she was still a minor. Hoever, there are sufficient warnings posted.

Disney has a reputation for being fair and resolving cases that need resolving, but fighting those that have no merit. This one has no merit.
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Disney*Princess is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I remember being at Disney when this happened...and i definitely have to agree...it's a little late. And anyone who goes on the rides at Disney knows they have adequate postings...people need to open their eyes, it's not Disney's fault they can't read. You could have a sign with flashing lights and massive print and people still won't read it.
    Engaged at Port Orleans Riverside
    June 9, 2009

Getting married July 30, 2011

Disney Store CM

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    So this woman is going to all this trouble with a trumped-up story about ToT causing her stroke for $15K? She is going to spend that and more just for traveling expenses from the UK to Orlando plus hotels. There is no way Disney is going to engage in this suit without making her appear in court.

BusDriver is right, this case has no merit. But, didn't someone sue and win when their 4 year-old with a pre-existing heart condition died on MS? I remember that case but I don't remember the outcome.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    I really wish Disney could one day get the same treatment that ski resorts in Colorado get. Whenever you buy a lift ticket at a Colorado Ski Resort you basically are saying that you realize you are partaking in a risk activity and the resort is in no way liable for anything that may happen to you while one the mountain. Well, anything beyond really gross negligence (i.e. ski lift malfunctions due to neglect and you fall and injure yourself).

While I was there I read about a lot of lawsuits of people trying to get money out of the companies running the local mountains and couldn't win. The state laws backed up the implied risk clauses on the lift tickets
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Disney*Princess is offline B-Ticket Holder
    At the same time...when you go on these rides you kind of have an idea what you're getting yourself into. Especially if she rode ToT "several times." Who is to say she wasn't feeling well before the 2nd, 3rd or xth numbered ride..and still went on it? At some point there is a degree of the rider's common sense that should come into play. But that's just my opinion.
    Engaged at Port Orleans Riverside
    June 9, 2009

Getting married July 30, 2011

Disney Store CM

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Just one more frivolous lawsuit. And.....$15,000? Wouldn't cover the medical expenses here. This sounds like a bad joke - or a stupid lawyer.
    You literally can't get near some of the WDW rides without being inundated with precautionary warnings. What happened to accepting responsibility for one's actions?
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    ºoº * ~ ** ~ * ºoº

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I hate hearing stories like this. Just leaves everyone shaking there heads. Isn't there a statute of limitations on something like this?
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

tink2thecore is offline A-Ticket holder
    This woman is crazy. I mean come on. Disney is not known for bad restraints and misleading signs. Sounds like she needs a therapist to remind her of reality.
    If you can Dream it, the you can do it!

My only hope is that we never lose sight of one thing, that it was all started by a mouse

Disney 2009 Part Two: 3 months 15 days.... Cannot wait!!

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I agree that $15K seems to be a very strange, and low amount. At least the lawyers will continue to work during the economic downturn
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by clion View Post
    "Failed to adequately warn of the risks or provide adequate safety restraints?" Are you kidding me? Does this woman READ? How many warning signs does she pass in the queue line?
    I was thinking the same thing when I read this. I remember the first time I rode it. I'm a huge thrill-ride fan but all the warnings and signs even had me a bit concerned!

What is the statute of limitations on something like this? I'm betting it's 5 years and that's why 4 years later you're seeing the suit. They realized if they were gonna try they had to now.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

RuddyWDW is offline Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Absolutely pathetic, I loathe how sueing has become like a second nature nowadays.

Disney should countersue for her being stupid and not reading all the signs and putting other riders at risk.

Ruddy

crazytp93 is offline A-Ticket holder
    What a joke!

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BusDriver View Post
    Disney is sued frequently, but succeeding with the suit is a different story. This case will likely be dismissed or Disney will win. One, she has waited too long to file the suit
    She was 16 at the time. So she had to file suit by the time she hit 20

Hoever, there are sufficient warnings posted.
    The issue then becomes if the warnings are sufficient

Disney has a reputation for being fair and resolving cases that need resolving,
    says who exactly?
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Caribbean Lady is offline Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas

Re: British woman sues Disney for 2005 stroke

clearly, the stroke wasn't that debilitating - if it was actually very bad, they probably would have sued sooner. Not saying that strokes are a walk in the park, but clearly there is another motive to why they're filing the suit during tough economic times...
    tale as old as time...

It's official... I'm too far away from the Magic
    When you wish upon a star...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast