Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss Disney Cutting Park Jobs in the News & Rumors forums; I saw this on AOL News Disney Cuts Jobs at Theme Parks - AOL Money & Finance...
    ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough

Disney Cutting Park Jobs

Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Certainly a difficult time to be Iger.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    They are doing it smartly, basically combining the two parks in the US. So it will save money, but still run the same.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    Iguess we'll see how these decisions impact service and operations at the individual parks.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    They are doing it smartly, basically combining the two parks in the US. So it will save money, but still run the same.
    Seems like they should have done this a long time ago to streamline things. It makes sense to do this.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Cutting jobs but tearing out park real estate for a CM parking lot. Yeah that makes sense.....
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    Seems like they should have done this a long time ago to streamline things. It makes sense to do this.
    I swore this was done during the "Pressler Era" while Eisner was in charge and it didn't bode well for the parks. WDW is not the same as DL in either theme or scope. Heck the guests aren't even the same and I think anyone who has gone to both parks can tell that they are different beasts.

Therefore, you cannot make unified decisions on how things are done because what may work for Disneyland which is heavily populated by people in a 1-2 hour drive radius, WDW is heaviliy populated by people who pay a lot of money to get there
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree, harra. The parks are very different with a different feel and different types of guests (like you said, with many people close-by coming for the day to DL, and most people making a big trip out of coming to WDW for a week or so.) I do understand in this economy that cuts need to be made. I just hope it doesn't mess anything up.
    Eeyoregirl13

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I can see why there could be some synergies between the parks (do the menus really need to be different in FL vs. CA)? And if you create a ride for one park, why not duplicate it for the other?
    But it does seem that the two parks are different in their target audiences.
    In any event, I hate to hear about anyone losing their job these days...
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

eeyoregirl13 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Yeah, you're right about menus - things like that definitely can overlap between the 2 parks. I hate to hear about people losing their jobs too, and really hate to hear about Disney being in tough times! Just love that co so much
    Eeyoregirl13

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    Is this a cutting jobs or more of a hiring freeze? Anyone know? I pretty much know the answer but just thought I would ask...
    Last edited by SnwhtNdwrfs; 02-20-2009 at 08:03 PM.

ERich2010 is offline just cant get enough
    Quote Originally Posted by SnwhtNdwrfs View Post
    Is this a cutting jobs or more of a hiring freeze? Anyone know? I pretty much know the answer but just thought I would ask...
    the article said that it would be a layoff of an unspecified number of workers. so i guess both, cuz when youre laying off, youre not normally looking for more people
    Eric

Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates Life for Me...

Bangarang Rufio

Go Ask Alice is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Dear Economy:
    Please be better by the time I get out of college. Please, please.

Stupid recession.
    Not going to Disney World any time soon...

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    I swore this was done during the "Pressler Era" while Eisner was in charge and it didn't bode well for the parks. WDW is not the same as DL in either theme or scope. Heck the guests aren't even the same and I think anyone who has gone to both parks can tell that they are different beasts.

Therefore, you cannot make unified decisions on how things are done because what may work for Disneyland which is heavily populated by people in a 1-2 hour drive radius, WDW is heavily populated by people who pay a lot of money to get there
    Similar comments were made through this thread, but I wanted to concur. The two parks are not the same and what works for one won't necessarily work for the other. Disneyland is a "local" park. The majority of the guests are from the LA area. WDW is definitely pulling guests from outside FL as well as the US. Marketing strategies are different as are the guests that visit. The parks aren't run the same either. At Disneyland, a cm can be focused on one park for a project and then be switched to the other park; going back and forth. There are four parks at WDW to deal with. A cm is usually assigned to a certain park or area and stays working in that division for months. They are able to concentrate their resources on a more targeted aspect. They get to know what events need to be planned and what people need to get involved. It may be one big company and we get the same wonderful experiences from visiting both, but trying to run both parks from one side of the continent may not make life easy for the corporation as a whole.
    Last edited by mini-V; 02-22-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: forgot to spell check
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Go Ask Alice is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Great. I just realized what they're doing now. Oh, bother.
    Not going to Disney World any time soon...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast