Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss D23 - paid membership???? in the News & Rumors forums; Bobby, Thanks for the added insight to what you were thinking. As far as the layout of Lou's homepage, I'm not sure what the package he's using, but I bet ...
    harra is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: D23 - paid membership????

Bobby,

Thanks for the added insight to what you were thinking.

As far as the layout of Lou's homepage, I'm not sure what the package he's using, but I bet my bottom dollar he's using what is commonly referred to as a CMS (Content Management System).

They are beautiful website development tools because you build your look and feel with templates and the more coding skills you have (or at your disposal) the fancier you can make it look.

But the biggest selling point is the ease of deployment of new content. In the old days, you had to code everything from scratch. Now, you can add content with a few clicks and typing into WYSIWYG (What You See is What You Get) editors much like you do to add a post to this forum.

The thing is most web developers know of these tools and embrace them. The downside is that it gets harder to have a unique look. The graphics may be the same, but the layouts start all looking the same with minor variances. This became the norm real quick when web-based blogging sites became popular a few years ago and everyone's blog layouts started looking the same.

I'm sure if you start looking at the sites you frequent most (even outside the World of Disney), you'll start to notice a similiarity to how websites are presented to you.

As far as AllEars.Net goes, they seem to have decided to stay with what has always worked for them. I'm sure there are web developers who view Deb's site that just grind their teeth because her layout is still so early 2000's....haha Or to use another anoying buzzword...AllEars is Web 1.0 while site's like Lou's is more Web 2.0

When it comes to the world of Disney information, there is a lot of competition. Up until now, it has been all about who in the Disney Corporation your favorite podcaster, webmaster, blogger knew. Now, with the advent of D23 (the website) and Disney Twenty-Three (the publication), the source is the publisher.

But the one thing a Disney produced content may never have is the lack of bias. You never know, they may blaze a new trail in company marketing and allow their bloggers and authors speak frankly about stuff, but it hasn't happened to date with very many companies. So, if they do it, it'll be a shocker.

So, as long as the fan sites are allowed to operate, they may not have the easiest access to breaking news and rumors, BUT they will have the benefit of an increased lack of bias to be able to speak more frankly on that which they don't like

I personally like the presence of the fan sites. I once heard a podcaster say they don't accept ad revenue because the people who would be writing the checks worked for companies who makes the products he reviews. So, if he accepts money from them for advertising it creates a perceived bias and the people listening to his review may not trust it beause he may be perceived as being "in their pocket". It also created the expectation that you must speak highly of the product even if you don't like it.

Conversely, another podcaster in the same genre (technology) said he did accept ad revenue but made it very clear to the sponser that even though he's taking their money, if he doesn't like the product he WILL blast it. He reported on one of his podcasts that many advertisers pulled their desire to advertise when told that it wouldn't buy bias.

We the fans who run blogs, podcasts, and website, have the luxery of saying we don't like something. The only price may be availability of access to Disney insiders if someone is constantly too critical
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!

Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    I'm not sure if you are saying I talked you out of joining or I wrote something that turned you off of joining for yourself and encouraged you to buy a membership as a gift for someone else?
    Let me show you! You didn't talk me out of joining, you let me see that I was being silly for not even considering it. I'm buying for my household, it just doesn't happen to be in my name.

Not everyone is facing the pinch of the recession. I'm 37 years old and have had a credit card since I was 21 and have never rolled a balance. Up until last week my only debt was my mortgage (40% equity) and my DVC (almost paid for). Last week we purchased a Toyota Camry and could've paid cash for it but I prefer to maintain my 9 month emergency funds in the bank.
    I too have no debt and pay for my Disney trips with cash. I don't buy anything unless I can just pay for it. Granted, we don't have a DVC membership because I don't want to go into debt to get it.

These are things I'd buy anyway. But it also gives me the possibility of future benefits. If it doesn't pan out, I'll not re-up my membership.

For me $75 is less than what I spend on eating in a weekend. So, I can choose to eat at home a few times more and it's paid for. Easy for me to accomplish.
    I easily would spend this in a few days of Starbucks. (not lately since I've decided to give up caffeine) And I would buy the magazine anyway.

I have worked 15 hour days for a good 10 years to be able to have the small luxury of buying Disney stuff and a few electronics with a little disregard to cost. I spend within my means and save for the future. If you can do that, then no one should have the right to question how you spent your excesses beyond that
    And true, I have a good solid government job that I have worked very hard at for a very long time. I pay my bills, I contribute to my retirement. People may question how I have always spent my excesses, but I don't think they will with this.

So, that is what you said to convince me, although you didn't really have to, you just made me realize that tightly hanging on to a relatively small amount of money just out of principal was ridiculous.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

I'm not sure if you are saying I talked you out of joining or I wrote something that turned you off of joining for yourself and encouraged you to buy a membership as a gift for someone else?
    I am guessing that you didn't get one for your lovely wife as well, since you probably don't need two issues of the same magazine at home. I was just saying I was going to put it in his name instead of mine, since all the stock certificates have my name on them.

Oh, never mind! No need to answer that Ray, I just read your blog!

Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Bobby,
    Thanks for the added insight to what you were thinking.
    Your knowledge of fan forums is so far beyond my piddling around. My thoughts are so much more from the heart of what entertains me. I too am fortunate to be comfortable, home paid for after 11 years. This was not due to wealth but picking where my disposable income would be spent.
    We will all differ here. Having a family, with children my mind always lends itself to their well being. I just never do things like spend $16 on a magazine (or spend $75 in a few days at Starbucks ) I'm just not wired that way. For those who want too, no judgement here. Disney I credit.
    They, world wide will get people to invest into this, that is for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    So, that is what you said to convince me, although you didn't really have to, you just made me realize that tightly hanging on to a relatively small amount of money just out of principal was ridiculous.
    "Rules are not necessarily sacred, principles are." Franklin D. Roosevelt

Funny how much we are all the same in our love of Disney and yet all so different. It makes an entertaining place to spend some time.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby2 View Post
    Your knowledge of fan forums is so far beyond my piddling around. My thoughts are so much more from the heart of what entertains me.
    I just have spent a lot of time on the Internet since I got my first ISP account in the early 1990's. Before I joined the Disney Fan Community in 2006, I was active on communities revolving around computer programming

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby2 View Post
    I too am fortunate to be comfortable, home paid for after 11 years. This was not due to wealth but picking where my disposable income would be spent.
    I bow down in great respect for this undertaking. My wife and I would love to have our house paid off in 11 years, as well.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

My wife and I paid off our mortgage in the summer of 2006 due to our frugality. We paid off our 30 year mortgage in 10 years. It can be done if you are responsible with your money.

Eric is offline A-Ticket holder

I would encourage everyone to check out show # 190 of Mouse Guest Weekly to be released Sunday, March 15th. On the show we will talk with Disney Legend Dave Smith, Archives Manager Becky Cline and Head of D23 Steven Clark. I think many concerns and questions Disney fans have will be answered in the interview.

MOUSEGUEST.COM: Mouse Guest Weekly
    Eric,
    co-host, Mouse Guest Weekly podcast
    MouseGuest.com

clion is offline Fastpass Holder

One of the biggest unknown factors about D23 is starting to become known -- the "surprise gift" is starting to arrive for first-day members.

If you want to know what it is... check out this post:
    http://disneydaddy.blogspot.com/2009...exclusive.html
    "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are.
    Anything your heart desires will come to you ..."

Author of the DisneyDaddy blog | Writer for Celebrations Magazine
    D23 Charter Member | Annual Passholder | Named Disney's Biggest Fan (by Disney and United Vacations)

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Mickey Mouse painting a bloody red line on the globe?

That's quite a surprise, alright.
    Last edited by elvistelth; 03-26-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I opted out of this magazine, I do admire Disney, it gets five stars for this one and I honestly believe the board will be promoting the mastermind of this endeavor.

I feed off of data. I wish Disney released more of theirs. Wonder how many have joined so far.

Wonder what the actual production cost of the lithograph is per picture, guessing less than a pin would have been.

Wonder how many subscribers purchased that expensive frame to place that lithograph in.

Caching! With the economy taking a nose dive this is the shot in the arm the board will notice.

What is Mickey painting anyways?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123