Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss D23 - paid membership???? in the News & Rumors forums; I'm wondering what others think of D23. It sounded neat to me, and i was skeptical, "OK, how much are they going to charge?" I was thinking, hmm, maybe $15 ...
    iggyaa is offline A-Ticket holder

D23 - paid membership????

I'm wondering what others think of D23. It sounded neat to me, and i was skeptical, "OK, how much are they going to charge?" I was thinking, hmm, maybe $15 I can see, even though I'm not familiar with other online communities that people pay to join - club memberships, with actual meetings and officers sure, but online communities?? Then I saw the price: $75. I'm appalled. They're not going to get fans, they're going to get wealthy fans. Now I feel excluded and like the Disney Company doesn't care about average people like me, trying to make ends meet, looking for a job, and *still* managing to squeeze in the occasional Disney World trip.

Does this make sense to others? I'm a little surprised I didn't find any posts on this already when I searched the forums.

Alicia

Huge Disney fan and mom to 2.5 up-and-coming fans.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

Re: D23 - paid membership????

There already threads for this... what you are paying for is the magazine subscription and the membership. Each magazine is about $16, so for 4 issues you are look at $65ish, then all the extra stuff.

Reaction to Are you 23, D23 club?

Are You 23??

Are you 23

D23 Mystery Solved?!

Here is what you get for $75

A one-year D23 Charter Membership* includes:

• Disney ''twenty-three'' Quarterly Publication: A one-year subscription (four issues) to D23's exquisite collectible magazine, filled with stunning photography, dazzling illustrations and the ultimate Disney insider perspective. It's your all-access pass to discovering the magic of Disney's past, present and future!
    • Membership Card and Certificate: Your membership card and personalized, suitable-for-framing charter member certificate feature many of Disney's most beloved characters drawn by Disney Master Artist David Pacheco.
    • Surprise Collectible Gift: A collectible just for D23 members. You'll receive a gift you'll cherish from the new Walt Disney Archives Collection.
    • Exclusive Special Events and Merchandise: D23 offers its members unique special-event opportunities throughout the year, as well as access to exclusive, limited-edition merchandise and collectibles.
    • D23 Expo: It's the ultimate Disney fan experience, taking place in Anaheim, California from September 10-13, 2009. This can't-miss event will feature guest speakers, celebrity appearances, breathtaking exhibitions, sneak peeks, film screenings, one-of-a-kind merchandise, and so much more! Admission will be discounted for D23 members.
    • Subscription to bi-weekly D23 FanFare e-newsletter with breaking news and special offers. (You may opt out of receiving FanFare after your first e-newsletter arrives.)
    • Plus, stay connected to D23 every day at Disney.com/D23, featuring up-to-the-minute Disney news, feature stories, event info, merchandise and more.

D23 Charter Membership | DisneyShopping.com

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder

If you are going to buy the magazines anyway, it really is not that bad of a deal. I don't have issue #1 but it really looks great!

Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I'd have a hard time paying $16 magazine. I don't have plans to be in CA for the next 4 years. Sounds to me like they borrowed all Lou's ideas, the forum, newsletter, magazine and are charging dearly for it. Now if Disney did this first and Lou came out with a duplicate of their site offerings
    Disney attorney's might be looking into it.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

Bobby,

Unfortunately the idea of forums, podcasts, audio guides, etc cannot be copyrighted and I'm pretty sure none of the fan sites have a legal leg to stand on.

In actuality, from what I'm reading on the D23 site, they are more like 2719 Hyperion than WDW Radio. WDW Radio is far more entertaining in their delivery than the D23 site which is more institutional (translation: like being in school)

Also, all of us that run fan sites really are lucky that Disney has chosen to embrace us because they would've been in their right to shut all of us down years ago. Look at Prince. He sends Cease and Desist orders to all the operators of fan sites. Warner Brothers tried to shut down all the Harry Potter Fan Sites until JK Rowling stepped in on behalf of some of them.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

The price is a little more than I am willing to pay. I'm really quite happy with the podcasts and websites I frequent now. For me, it's kind of like the issue of a new TV. All my friends have HD TVs. We still have an old big screen rear projection analog TV. My friends tell me how great Blue Ray and HD are, but I like what I have and don't feel the need to go out and purchase something new. I guess all those years in the field with the Marines taught me to be happy with what I had and not what I wished I had.

Bobby2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    Bobby,

Unfortunately the idea of forums, podcasts, audio guides, etc cannot be copyrighted and I'm pretty sure none of the fan sites have a legal leg to stand on.

In actuality, from what I'm reading on the D23 site, they are more like 2719 Hyperion than WDW Radio. WDW Radio is far more entertaining in their delivery than the D23 site which is more institutional (translation: like being in school)

Also, all of us that run fan sites really are lucky that Disney has chosen to embrace us because they would've been in their right to shut all of us down years ago. Look at Prince. He sends Cease and Desist orders to all the operators of fan sites. Warner Brothers tried to shut down all the Harry Potter Fan Sites until JK Rowling stepped in on behalf of some of them.
    It never occurred to me that Lou was not able to copy right the audio guides. That is unfortunate. Thanks for pointing that out I would have never known that. I've visited many Disney forum sites and just found the new D23 to be very much like Lou's. Others like All Ears and Mouse Planet have very different looks. Guessing their designers looked for the best out there when they were doing their own imagineering. You have much knowledge, I can't even begin to understand what a 2719 Hyperion is. Since these forums are all here at the mercy of Disney, I hope they all last since they have now entered the game especially if they don't have a legal leg to stand on, they've all spend a lot of money on their sites and countless hours. What fan site do you operate?

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby2 View Post
    It never occurred to me that Lou was not able to copy right the audio guides. That is unfortunate. Thanks for pointing that out I would have never known that. I've visited many Disney forum sites and just found the new D23 to be very much like Lou's. Others like All Ears and Mouse Planet have very different looks. Guessing their designers looked for the best out there when they were doing their own imagineering. You have much knowledge, I can't even begin to understand what a 2719 Hyperion is. Since these forums are all here at the mercy of Disney, I hope they all last since they have now entered the game especially if they don't have a legal leg to stand on, they've all spend a lot of money on their sites and countless hours. What fan site do you operate?

Well, they may have looked at membership numbers, accessability and ease of use on DWT, then looked at a few others, and combined as many great features as possible. I still miss the "old" DWT site, but I like this one as well, and my friends are here so.....

I am just glad Disney did not go with the Prince method and shut them all down. As for D23, that is a NO in my world.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby2 View Post
    just found the new D23 to be very much like Lou's.
    How does D23 look like WDWradio? I can't see how they are alike at all. For starters there are no forums, plus so far the topics are very different. Ray is right it reads more like 2719 Hyperion blog than an online fan forum.

brentbrit is offline A-Ticket holder

eh...I don't know $75 to me is hardly "wealthy fans only" I mean...I get what you're saying. But, a company like Disney does the research before deciding on a price so in going through various price points $75 is likely the amount that split the difference between "enough people will buy it" and "we'll make enough money" in the most ideal way.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'll bet many of the people who think $75 is a fair price for 4 magazines, a pin, and permission to spend more money on "collectibles" are the same people who are in massive credit card debt and responsible for the housing crisis. Get wise people. Live within your means. Sure most people can raise $75 for this, but is it really worth it? I'll wager the articles in that magazine will be rehashed tellings of what you already knew. You're not going to get any new insight. I hope D23 fails because if it doesn't you can expect more of the same from the mouse: higher prices with less value. I know this is all opinion and what is worthless to me may be treasured by you but I think this offer crosses the line. I can't help but feel Disney executives are laughing at fans who happily shell out big dollars for so little in return.

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I'll bet many of the people who think $75 is a fair price for 4 magazines, a pin, and permission to spend more money on "collectibles" are the same people who are in massive credit card debt and responsible for the housing crisis. Get wise people. Live within your means. Sure most people can raise $75 for this, but is it really worth it? I'll wager the articles in that magazine will be rehashed tellings of what you already knew. You're not going to get any new insight. I hope D23 fails because if it doesn't you can expect more of the same from the mouse: higher prices with less value. I know this is all opinion and what is worthless to me may be treasured by you but I think this offer crosses the line. I can't help but feel Disney executives are laughing at fans who happily shell out big dollars for so little in return.
    Just because you can't see the value in it doesn't mean others can't. It's fine to have an opinion, but to come right out and put down the fans of the program is rude and uncalled for. You have no idea what other people's financial situations are and have no right to assume that you do.

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

I think it's an ok price.... it's worth it to me, and i'm not one of the people who put America into debt. Im not rich either. For the price of 1 family meal for 5 at a resturant like olive garden, I think I can spare the money, and I don't hope that it fails.
    I wish America's debt problems came from something that was $75, It's not like you're buying a $500,000 house and paying $20 a month for it.
    (P.S. you don't get a pin with the membership, it's something else, but we don't know yet.)
    Last edited by Disney2000; 03-12-2009 at 03:07 PM.
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

I'll bet many of the people who think $75 is a fair price for 4 magazines, a pin, and permission to spend more money on "collectibles" are the same people who are in massive credit card debt and responsible for the housing crisis. Get wise people. Live within your means.
    Not everyone is facing the pinch of the recession. I'm 37 years old and have had a credit card since I was 21 and have never rolled a balance. Up until last week my only debt was my mortgage (40% equity) and my DVC (almost paid for). Last week we purchased a Toyota Camry and could've paid cash for it but I prefer to maintain my 9 month emergency funds in the bank.

I also pay cash for all my Disney vacations and we spent over 30 days in the parks last year and the previous 2 years before that.

I know I'm not alone in this. I personally think the buy 4, get 3 free deal is aimed more at the people who take on debt to go on vacation more so than a $75 membership

Sure most people can raise $75 for this, but is it really worth it? I'll wager the articles in that magazine will be rehashed tellings of what you already knew. You're not going to get any new insight.
    You are making assumptions here. Disney Twenty-Three magazine has the opportunity to tap into resources that are far more intimately involved with their subject matter than anyone in the fan community.

What information we do get through the fan community comes via hard worked networking connections made by our favorite webmasters, bloggers, and podcasters. But as with anything involving unofficial relationships with corporations, those connections can be severed at any time

I hope D23 fails because if it doesn't you can expect more of the same from the mouse: higher prices with less value.
    Glad to feel justified in my suppossition. I told a friend last night that I got the feeling that there were people who were hoping D23 fails. But my suspicion was that it was rooted in fear that their own self interests may be in jeopardy (podcast, blog, website, etc). Which with the information we have at this time is nothing more than a theory based on no facts.

I know this is all opinion and what is worthless to me may be treasured by you but I think this offer crosses the line. I can't help but feel Disney executives are laughing at fans who happily shell out big dollars for so little in return.
    As I stated on a Facebook D23 Fan Group yesterday, there is very little information released about what D23 gives it's members. The organizers admitted as such during the official conference call. The people who jumped on board the first day are known as "early adopters" in the technology sector. They are the people who buy the latest product so they can be "bleeding edge" with little or know knowledge on the product and knowing full well that kinks will most likely need to be worked out.

I don't think they are laughing at anyone. I don't think they take things like this lightly.

We are facing a new world order that hasn't been faced since the last Great Depression. The rules of the game, I think, are about to change again. I'm getting the feeling that Bob Iger and Company are trying recognize the people that help keep them afloat...the fans...the people who are loyal to the brand.

But time will tell. But I for one hope this succeeds. It's success will open the doors to them further recognizing the influence, power, and necessity of the loyalist. It's failure will most definitely close and lock the door to the idea that repeat customers are worth recognizing with a reward program
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast