Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Walt Disney World (WDW) News Discuss More Layoffs at WDW in the News & Rumors forums; The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that there were more layoffs at WDW this week. Apparently Master Sommelier John Blazon is among those. For those of you who don't know, Blazon ...
    BusDriver is offline Fastpass Holder

More Layoffs at WDW

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting that there were more layoffs at WDW this week. Apparently Master Sommelier John Blazon is among those.

For those of you who don't know, Blazon headed Victoria & Albert's and led Disney into becoming an industry leader in wine selection and education. He was one of only 100 Master Sommelier's in North America.

Disney World layoffs: Hundreds lose jobs at Disney World -- OrlandoSentinel.com

Orlando Sentinel - Disney master sommelier is leaving by

Scott Joseph's Orlando Restaurant Guide: Master sommelier John Blazon among those in Walt Disney World layoffs; v.p. Rosemary Rose gone too
    My Dream Job - WDW Bus Driver

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars

Re: More Layoffs at WDW

yep. there have been a lot of good folks gone from Disney this week.

Chefmickey is offline A-Ticket holder

I heard on another podcast that Jim Korkis was also among them. If it's true it's a shame, That's a huge loss. Maybe Lou can use him as a cohost.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

Someone told me that they heard on a local news station that Disney was doing really bad..... more than what they're letting on to. I think she said something to the effect of Disney revenue has decreased 30%.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

On the last quarterly report, if I remember correctly, Disney revenue was down 32% from projections, but that is company wide, not just the parks. Not certain how the parks are doing.

1975 - First Visit; 1985 High School Band Trip; 1986 Grad Night; 1992 First Visit with two oldest daughters; 1997 First Visit with Son; 1998 Joined DVC; 2003 First Visit with Twins

Many visits staying at Old Key West, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk, Contemporary, Disney Institute & All Star Sports

Just checked the last Quarterly statement and Net Income was down company wide 32% from the same quarter in 2007. This is for the Quarter ending in December of 08.

Revenue at the Parks and Resorts were only down 4% from a year ago.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by BusDriver View Post
    Just checked the last Quarterly statement and Net Income was down company wide 32% from the same quarter in 2007. This is for the Quarter ending in December of 08.

Revenue at the Parks and Resorts were only down 4% from a year ago.
    That explains why it is so crowded(from what I keep hearing) at the parks. I know I haven't bought a lot in the past year from Disney Shopping but it is more because I thought it was the same type of stuff as always. Not much I couldn't live without.

WDWmemories is offline C-Ticket Holder

I heard from a CM that there were more reductions late this week. It is very sad. The parks are actually crowded, but spending is down moreso.
    Check out free high resolution Disney World Pictures and Disney Vacation information.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I'm hearing it was nearly 2k more jobs cut, and although they are still avoiding cutting any guest-facing positions, Cast Services - which provides support to those CMs, were entirely eliminated.

Update: It was around 1,900 positions, but a good portion of those were open at the time. About 900 actual employees at WDW were affected.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...,7115954.story
    Last edited by doconeill; 04-03-2009 at 09:38 PM.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news